Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

should i wait for the new porsche or i-pace to come out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All about you and what you want. IMHO the X is a better car, with a much better network, and OTA updates to make it better in the future. But as I said, it's all about you - you'll have to tell us what's important to you before we can give intelligent advice.

I can only share my current situation, in case it's helpful. We bought a Model S (P85) at a time when Tesla was still a very big unknown (early 2013). Lots of things concerned us, including the reports of drive unit failures, the precarious position of buying a $110,000 car from a company that may not be around to honor the warranty and promises (like free supercharging), etc. But we thought the technology was really interesting and we were willing to take the risks. The P85 turned out to be a good car for us and when the P85D was first announced we were one of the first to place an order, even though many things were unknown (especially with regard to the promises of autonomous features).

Now, we're ready to replace the P85D and since Tesla hasn't done a substantial stylistic design makeover, we aren't considering a Tesla as our next car. We are actually looking at two Porsches....the updated Cayenne and the Mission E. I have no problem with ICE cars, so the Cayenne certainly is a workable option for us. But there are certain perks to EV ownership, like HOV access, that make us consider staying with an EV. I talked to Porsche corporate HQ yesterday about the possibility of placing a pre-order for the Mission E and was told they aren't accepting pre-orders yet.

There's a lot of unknowns with the Mission E, just as there were many unknowns with the Model S when we first considered buying one. The unknowns with the Porsche are different, obviously...Porsche as a company will likely not disappear anytime soon and Porsche also has a pretty good history of being able to build quality vehicles. What we don't know is whether the ultra-fast charging technology they are planning will work or how a network of charging stations will be put into production.

Still, we love the looks of the prototype Mission E and we would gladly put a deposit down right now if it were possible. It may well end up that we are going to just go with the Cayenne if the Mission E won't be available for order this year, but whatever the case, we aren't planning on keeping our Tesla past the warranty expiration date (December 2018).

We happen to dislike the Model X so it was never a consideration, but if your primary concern is going with an established EV maker and you like the Model X, waiting is probably a bad idea. If, however, you are willing to take risks and like what you see from the Porsche or Jaguar prototypes, our experience says you would be wise to wait.

i own a Model x and am hoping that the delivery delay until June is due to the fact that the X and S are getting a much needed refresh and update.

however, i'm desperately wishing for a better built car which Porsche has top marks in, and can't wait for the Mission E to come out which may switch me back to a sedan from an SUV...

The delivery delay pattern supposedly happens every quarter. I'm not saying there can't be a refresh but even if a refresh happens that may be coincidental to the delay.

Only you can answer that but I’m in the same boat, I want an EV but there seems to be a few options but for me there is only one, Tesla!

Right now only Nissan and Tesla are serious about making EV work, really work! Jag seem to treat EV like ICE cars “don’t expect us to provide a charging solution”

Only my personal view by many are rushing to get EVs out because they have too and the lux brands are loosing too much to Tesla to ignore but they are trying to solve the wrong problem “how do we sell an EV car” rather than “How do we make an EV car that people want and is effortless or easy to use in place of traditional ICE car”

Something which Tesla seem to have years on anyone else....

I’ll be honest I’ve driven ICE cars for years, stil do, not for long hopefully and only now thinking about EV but for me it’s the car and the super charger network that really sell it for me, don’t get me wrong the I-pace looks nice but of all the options I have I’m going with an MX Tesla!

Good luck with your journey and picking a EV

I have a P90DL and love it. But the lease is up in 16 months and not sure what I will do. If the Porsche CUV is available with the 0-60 of 3.5 or better and if there are charging stations in Canada that allow Vancouver to Calgary travel, then I might switch. Unless Tesla improves the battery (120 or better) and redesigns the car (6 seater with folding middle row, more dials and buttons so I don't have to distract myself from driving to find the right spot on the screen to press among the things that I would appreciate) - in which case I might lease a new model X. Tesla is going to have the leg up in NA with highway charging and I think most of the Porsches initially will be sold in Europe where there is much more current effort by non Tesla companies to put in new generation superfast chargers. Having to drive 4 hours to Vancouver for service is a drag when we have a Porsche dealership in my town (and Jaguar). Then again the massive performance and range of the roadster might make me sell another kidney and upgrade to that. Its nice to have more options and competition in the marketplace for our dollars is good for everyone.

I imagine Tesla realizes the competition is now going to get real and will up their game in the 1-2 years before the other cars hit the NA market in volume. I look forward to their response and will always pick their cars if all else is close. This is a super exciting time for the auto industry and car enthusiasts.

Reactions: McRat
I have a P90DL and love it. But the lease is up in 16 months and not sure what I will do. If the Porsche CUV is available with the 0-60 of 3.5 or better and if there are charging stations in Canada that allow Vancouver to Calgary travel, then I might switch. Unless Tesla improves the battery (120 or better) and redesigns the car (6 seater with folding middle row, more dials and buttons so I don't have to distract myself from driving to find the right spot on the screen to press among the things that I would appreciate) - in which case I might lease a new model X. Tesla is going to have the leg up in NA with highway charging and I think most of the Porsches initially will be sold in Europe where there is much more current effort by non Tesla companies to put in new generation superfast chargers. Having to drive 4 hours to Vancouver for service is a drag when we have a Porsche dealership in my town (and Jaguar). Then again the massive performance and range of the roadster might make me sell another kidney and upgrade to that. Its nice to have more options and competition in the marketplace for our dollars is good for everyone.

I imagine Tesla realizes the competition is now going to get real and will up their game in the 1-2 years before the other cars hit the NA market in volume. I look forward to their response and will always pick their cars if all else is close. This is a super exciting time for the auto industry and car enthusiasts.

FWIW: my wife has a Porsche Macan (drives great though) and her vehicle is chock full of buttons...it's very confusing whereby with my/your X I can quickly go to a screen....as you may know, Porsche always builds complicated cockpits....

btw: I see complaints re: timing for Tesla service (I have none, Ranger/FLL has been great) but Porsche in Naples is the pits.....7 weeks to get an appointment for service and her car has been under recall for over a year with the parts still waiting to come from Germany.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and inconel
I’m amazed that so many are just willing to drop Tesla without a 2nd thought based on a concept design of a mission E which has yet to test even 1 mile by the manufacturer and has no history. Is traditional auto branding that powerful that even if they entered the EV market more as a marketing and customer loyalty ploy, (only Tesla being bold enough to disrupt the entire industry), people would simply drop the innovative and forward thinking leader for one who continues to peddle fossil fuels for as long as big oil would demand it...wow.

Just surprised.

I would think Tesla proved to all the traditional ones that simply resting on your laurels for a century was not for humanity nor for the well being of our future.

I’m amazed that so many are just willing to drop Tesla without a 2nd thought based on a concept design of a mission E which has yet to test even 1 mile by the manufacturer and has no history. Is traditional auto branding that powerful that even if they entered the EV market more as a marketing and customer loyalty ploy, (only Tesla being bold enough to disrupt the entire industry), people would simply drop the innovative and forward thinking leader for one who continues to peddle fossil fuels for as long as big oil would demand it...wow.

Just surprised.

I would think Tesla proved to all the traditional ones that simply resting on your laurels for a century was not for humanity nor for the well being of our future.

Lots of assumptions there...one being that Tesla owners are all obsessed with avoiding fossil fuels. Speaking for myself, I couldn't care less whether a company also sells ICE cars. What I care about is value and a car that appeals to me. It's why I bought a Tesla in the first place, in fact, as I am not at all interested in the purported environmental benefits of EVs.

I have no loyalty to any brand. I buy the product that gives me the highest level of satisfaction per dollar spent. I dropped Audi for Tesla even though I had owned two Audis and was very happy with them and I'll drop Tesla for the next best thing.

The sad thing is that Tesla dropped the ball on luxury/sports vehicle buyers like me. Had there been a redesigned Model S available, I'd have placed an order (and still might, if one is announced between now and the end of the year).

Lots of assumptions there...one being that Tesla owners are all obsessed with avoiding fossil fuels. Speaking for myself, I couldn't care less whether a company also sells ICE cars. What I care about is value and a car that appeals to me. It's why I bought a Tesla in the first place, in fact, as I am not at all interested in the purported environmental benefits of EVs.

I have no loyalty to any brand. I buy the product that gives me the highest level of satisfaction per dollar spent. I dropped Audi for Tesla even though I had owned two Audis and was very happy with them and I'll drop Tesla for the next best thing.

The sad thing is that Tesla dropped the ball on luxury/sports vehicle buyers like me. Had there been a redesigned Model S available, I'd have placed an order (and still might, if one is announced between now and the end of the year).

To each is own I suppose. Well I would hope there are others out there who see Tesla for more than just a car...but as a glimpse into where we need to go as an technologically advanced and forward species!

I’ve also owned many ice luxury brands and made the decision finally to set an example for my kids, our friends and others who have actually switched over from fossil to a new way of transport.

Don’t get me wrong, ice cars have their place in technological progress and innovation for the last 115 years (ford model T). One can still appreciate design, engineering and the sheer physics of igniting a drop of fuel and harnessing its power into kinetic force. I just see it as exactly that...the final push of a era that should have ended in the 1980’s with GM’s electric car. Sadly it was ‘killed’ by big oil and self serving politics/profit.

I was just curious why owners of Tesla who were formed thinking in their purchase, would leave so quickly back to the comfort zone of established ice brands whose vision was and would never be for the betterment of anything beyond deep pockets. 1 model out of dozens of ice would be enough to sway buyers? Ok. I guess it really does come down to perceived value for the $.

No offence to ice lovers guys! Just my thoughts!

I think my 8 yr old son said it best ‘when I grow up I’m going to make sure there are no more gas cars or stations dad. And I’ll make Ferrari all electric also! lol. Cute.

Last edited:

Just surprised.

I am not sure what you mean no history. Porsche has a long history of producing great cars. Just because it’s a an EV does not mean they are starting everything from scratch like Tesla did. Besides the practical EV experience Tesla provides there’s nothing else Tesla excels. It just doesn’t have the refinements offered by traditional automakers. Some of their design choices are really questionable. I’ve lost count of how many jokes my wife and I have made about the car every time something happens.

The so called innovation has been stalled for a while. The infotainment system is full of bugs that were never fixed. Did you hear about the Model 3 features that are missing and will come later via software updates? We are talking about basic features that are available on every other car from factory.

The interior quality also left something to be desired at the same price range from other automakers. And of course it’s also pretty dated.

The reason I got Model X is simply because there’s no competition out there. I needed the seats, space, and EV, so Model X was the only choice. I have owned German cars since I started buying my own cars. If there were competitions from other German automakers you are right I have no problem dropping Tesla.

I am not sure what you mean no history. Porsche has a long history of producing great cars. Just because it’s a an EV does not mean they are starting everything from scratch like Tesla did. Besides the practical EV experience Tesla provides there’s nothing else Tesla excels. It just doesn’t have the refinements offered by traditional automakers. Some of their design choices are really questionable. I’ve lost count of how many jokes my wife and I have made about the car every time something happens.

The so called innovation has been stalled for a while. The infotainment system is full of bugs that were never fixed. Did you hear about the Model 3 features that are missing and will come later via software updates? We are talking about basic features that are available on every other car from factory.

The interior quality also left something to be desired at the same price range from other automakers. And of course it’s also pretty dated.

The reason I got Model X is simply because there’s no competition out there. I needed the seats, space, and EV, so Model X was the only choice. I have owned German cars since I started buying my own cars. If there were competitions from other German automakers you are right I have no problem dropping Tesla.

Also, Porsche has been doing a lot of work leading up to an EV. They've had electric motors in race cars, in the 918 and in their hybrid offerings.