Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla give us the option to disable autopilot with a pin code?

Should Tesla give us the option to disable autopilot with a pin code?

• Yes

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 48.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People need to be fully aware of what they are driving. My new family sedan (just under 50k) accelerates faster than a top of the line mercedes 3x-4x the price. Anyone getting behind the wheel, needs to know that and not do stupid things when its not appropriate...

Hard to complain about using a product incorrectly.
I wasn't complaining about using the product incorrectly. I was pointing out that it is REALLY, REALLY easy for someone to use it incorrectly.

I WAS complaining that the car has no idea what the speed limit is a good portion of the time.

But, I guess you think Tesla should not have enabled AutoPilot for anything other than divided highways?

I wasn't complaining about using the product incorrectly. I was pointing out that it is REALLY, REALLY easy for someone to use it incorrectly.

I WAS complaining that the car has no idea what the speed limit is a good portion of the time.

But, I guess you think Tesla should not have enabled AutoPilot for anything other than divided highways?
Yes I think we are on the same page there.

The name Auto Pilot makes people think it is something that it is not; re trust, I wouldn't rent my car out but if I were I would want to disable AP and TACC etc because people do not read manuals...
This is strange. If that was so, airplanes wouldn't need pilots to pay attention. There is nothing with the word autopilot that implies to not pay attention.

This is strange. If that was so, airplanes wouldn't need pilots to pay attention. There is nothing with the word autopilot that implies to not pay attention.

I've made this exact argument numerous times, usually the replies are about how we shouldn't expect car owners to understand the limitations of aircraft systems.

Making their argument basically "It's misleading that they name it after a different thing that's actually a perfect parallel for its function but that nobody bothers to read the capabilities of in either case!"

Reactions: TT97
...Police don't know if the car was in autopilot...

Quite a few people have pointed out that in the city, Autopilot maximum speed is Speed Limit + 5.

The Model 3 was traveling on the one-way street called Taylor St, and its posted speed limit is 25MPH.

Thus, if the driver let the Autopilot do the work, the maximum speed would be 25+5= 30MPH.

The reports say the Model 3 was driving 45MPH which meant the accelerator must have been depressed in order to achieve beyond what the maximum speed limit+5 that Autopilot allows.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
Quite a few people have pointed out that in the city, Autopilot maximum speed is Speed Limit + 5.

The Model 3 was traveling on the one-way street called Taylor St, and its posted speed limit is 25MPH.

Thus, if the driver let the Autopilot do the work, the maximum speed would be 25+5= 30MPH.

The reports say the Model 3 was driving 45MPH which meant the accelerator must have been depressed in order to achieve beyond what the maximum speed limit+5 that Autopilot allows.
True, unless the car didn’t know the speed limit or had it wrong, but I don’t think it was on AP.

I highly doubt the car was on autopilot as autopilot only allows speeds up to 5mph above speed limit under described conditions. If on autopilot and driver accelerates a warning is shown that autopilot will not break and it is the drivers intend to accelerate rather than break. Possible other scenario: Speed limit in database is ore than 15mph higher than real speed limit - unlikely in a city.
AP was apparently NOT on.

As mentioned, it seems that the crash is under full investigation, including criminal charges.

At any rate, since the crash is referenced here, I would like to reference the GoFundMe campaign for the deceased, Benjamin Dean's wife, Kelly and their four children.

You can use either link here:
gf.me/u/uc9wy2
Click here to support KELLY DEAN organized by Kathy Erwin-Copeland

If you're willing and able, it would be nice if they could get some additional help financially.