Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla have rehired Henrik Fisker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regardless of the designer... trying to design an "all appealing" SUV is a challenge. There is the aerodynamics, functionality, and basic appearance of the larger body to contend with. Audi took four years to finally agree on a replacement of the Q7 and after all the try's, wound up with a square model of the same design from 2007 with the A8 front fascia. Tesla and manufacturers that don't have a "truck" body try in integrate the SUV design to match their Sedan... Jaguar just entered the lucrative SUV market.... they wound up with an Audi ..
images

On topic, I think Tesla did a great job to design the overall appearance of the Model X. It is clearly TESLA, even though the front is different from the Model S. The Model X's side lines and rear are from the Model S. I prefer the Model X front to the "false grill" of the S --- just my preference.

Johan, Yesterday at 5:34 PM
Fisker can only design sexy but impractical cars. What good could he ever do for Tesla? Franz has to consider a lot more than massaging his ego, like Henrik did with the Karma

@Johan... How long have you owned your Fisker Karma? I have had mine for 4 years, and find it very practical. It has four seats, a trunk that will hold 2 sets of golf clubs, hips that would make a Kim K. envious. In Henrik's attempt to stroke his ego, he had the audacity to include vanity mirrors, cup holders front and rear, a center console and worst of all door pockets. Not to mention he made a production car that was drop dead gorgeous. How dare he be so egotistical!

If you don't own a Karma, please don't make absolute statements about the car.

How long have you owned your Fisker Karma? I have had mine for 4 years, and find it very practical. It has four seats, a trunk that will hold 2 sets of golf clubs, hips that would make a Kim K. envious. In Henrik's attempt to stroke his ego, he had the audacity to include vanity mirrors, cup holders front and rear, a center console and worst of all door pockets. Not to mention he made a production car that was drop dead gorgeous. How dare he be so egotistical!
The Karma has significantly subpar passenger and cargo volume for a sedan of its footprint. I think it is fair to say Fisker choose styling over practicality for that vehicle. That does not necessarily say Fisker can't design a more practical vehicle however (the Fisker Atlantic might be that example).

Practicality is subjective. One could say a Porsche 918 is impractical if compared to a German "Salon" Sedan. Since I had an Audi A8 and Audi Q7, the Karma was more than "practical" for my wants a desires. BTW, it was no secret that Fisker wanted to produce the car "promised"... not show a prototype and deliver something with less striking appearance. Sound familiar --- Elon would not compromise on the Model X by delivering a lesser vehicle and challenged his engineers to make it happen -- FWD and all. Not a matter of ego, but a matter of delivering what was promised and being innovative. I can't count the number of times I have seen those "sexy" prototypes at the annual Auto Show -- never to see the production car.

The Atlantic was to Fisker, what the Model 3 is to Tesla. The strategy for both was to build something compelling, the mundane would follow for the mass market. Cheers to Tesla and Elon for making it happen..... Karma Automotive (new company), has stated it will bring the Atlantic to market -- following the 2016 Karma. I think both companies knew they couldn't compete with GM, Toyota or Ford by building the mundane to start. Would any buy a Tesla Bolt-like or Fisker Volt-like? Caddy tried with its brand recognition, but the ELR bit the dust.

I agree with this, for everyone who does not like the Model X name another SUV that you think blows away the X design and is stunning. There is none, so you cannot compare a sedan with an SUV.
There are some SUVs that definitely look cooler than the Model X. One I can think of is the Nissan Resonance concept that became the 2016 Murano. The wrap-around window especially catches my eye. I doubt it's as aerodynamic as the X, but it channels a bit of the Fisker language, IMHO. Too bad it isn't an electric.

Reactions: Weezer Fan
Practicality is subjective. One could say a Porsche 918 is impractical if compared to a German "Salon" Sedan.
It is impractical, no doubt about it. And not just when compared to a german sedan, but compared to pretty much anything.

You may have an atypical definition of practical - for most people, a "practical car" is a car that can carry a lot of people and stuff. You might also argue that it includes qualities like:

- Good visibility
- Nimble, easy to park
- Convenient to fill up/recharge
- Scratch resistant (or cheap to repair)

Personally, I suspect that Franz "got stuck with" some of what Henrik started with Model S, but then "did what he could" to get it into shape for what they wanted.

As was already stated in this thread, Fisker DID NOT design the Model S.
Franz did... From scratch.

Fisker's design attempts were rejected by Musk. When it later became known that Fisker intended to launch his own EV company, it became clear why his Tesla design attempts were so lame.