Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should the under-display shelf have a door?

Should the under-display shelf have a door or cover?

• Yes, if it is sturdy, aesthetic and functional

Votes: 39 38.2%
  • No, I don't care things on the shelf are seen

Votes: 63 61.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're posting the wrong reason for the no answer. IF I should put valuables there, it is only while I'm in the car. Otherwise, they come out when I leave or put in the glove box or other lockable area. I don't understand the obsession with leaving valuables in a vehicle in the first place. A car thief will get it all whether it's exposed or not.

Guess it depends upon your definition of "valuables". My gas card with $50 on it has some "value", sitting on the seat of the car with a neon arrow that says "Has $50 on it." might attract a smash and dash thief. In the little drawer/shelf hidden from view it's unlikely the S&D guy would take the risk. I don't leave stacks of Benjamins in the car, but occasionally my iPad will be "hidden" on the floor if I'm running into the grocery store.

Mind you, I live in Southwest Missouri--break ins to cars are relatively rare and almost never occur during daylight hours in public places...many people leave their cars unlocked 'round these parts.

My point is, it's important not to generalize the behavior of drivers in your area or close circle to those everywhere. I suspect I could get away for a very long time with that big stack of Benjamins on the seat around here before I had a problem...wouldn't make it a day in LA!

...and ChapStick (only because Blistex melts in cars) can go there.

Hold on! Chapstick doesn't melt? this is big news, but, does it just have a higher melting point than Blistex, or does it just not melt? My Carmex melts in no time at all, of course, this is Dallas, and the car gets a bit hot.

As for the new storage shelf, I'm just happy Tesla is taking feedback on board, I can't think of another manufacturer that would have that kind of flexibility, even in these early stages of production. Asking for a door is kind of like my kids, no matter what I give them, it's never quite enough. Be grateful ratbags! (that's my kids, not forum members :) )

Hold on! Chapstick doesn't melt? this is big news, but, does it just have a higher melting point than Blistex, or does it just not melt? My Carmex melts in no time at all, of course, this is Dallas, and the car gets a bit hot.

As for the new storage shelf, I'm just happy Tesla is taking feedback on board, I can't think of another manufacturer that would have that kind of flexibility, even in these early stages of production. Asking for a door is kind of like my kids, no matter what I give them, it's never quite enough. Be grateful ratbags! (that's my kids, not forum members :) )

I much prefer Blistex, but I have a roll of 'blue' chapstick and it doesn't melt in my car. I am pretty sure it melts. Just a higher temp that Blistex, and a high enough temp where I have always had it stay a complete cylinder in my car.

I like the open design as it allows me to place my phone in the cubby and have it plugged in and charging. Also, it allows quick access to items that are stored there without fumbling with a door. I like the addition from Tesla and the utility of it. Things that need to be out of site can go in the glove compartment or center storage.

Having seen it now, it's perfect. It could be a little taller (I think the one in my Miata is), but it looked deep (I forgot to check just how deep) . . . but it's so low (under the screen) that anything I put in it won't be visible. Not that I tend to leave major valuables in spaces like that anyway. It's great for me. I just hope it's a tall enough opening; I will check when DC gets their car (I forget, August? September?), when I hopefully will have more time to really explore things like this. The test drive today was too short for that. ;-)

I just want a place to put the car-associated bric-a-brac (sunglasses, tire pressure gauge, etc.) in a way that won't fall out during all my Tesla-induced jackrabbit starts and maniacal lane changes.
A door for such a compartment would be welcome, but its absence would not be a deal-breaker.

-- Ardie
At least I won't be carrying a Thomas Guide.

33 posts on that non-issue? We surely have some time to kill here.
Here are my votes:
1) deliver it with a door.
2) have the user acknowledge "I am aware of the increased hazard of flying objects in event of crash", then rip off the *dang* door.
3) Make it look good if the door is off.

not sure what smiley applies here so none.

*Disclaimer-EVannex sent me a free Cubby Cap for submitting an idea that they base (loosely) their design upon. My review will be as objective as possible in that light.

I received my Cubby Cap yesterday and immediately installed it. Therefore I have just initial impressions. I do have some concerns about long term reliability given the use of adhesive strips for the hinges and metal plate that the magnet 'grabs'. I'm concerned that high temps and time could weaken the adhesive and/or the neoprene hinges.

That potential concern aside, I am really please with the Cubby Cap. It is attractive with a lacewood patter (matching my interior) that given the placement of the cap is close enough that it appears to match my lacewood dash. Side by side the Cap is glossier and without texture, but it is placed where there is minimal light hitting it anyway. But it sure is nice to have that gaping hole of the cubby and all the junk stored in it neatly out of sight. The handle on the Cubby Cap is not intuitive to grab. If you grab the rounded top and bottom edges it is a bit difficult to pull the magnetized door open. But if you grasp the handle by the pointed sides it is an easy grip and easy to open. Became second nature in a matter of minutes. I should add that the handle is a brushed metal that perfectly matches the trip around the center display and other dash parts, so this ends up looking quite OEM. At $100-110 bucks, it's your call on the value. I think for you P85D and I90D people, you're gonna want this just to keep your crap from flying out on acceleration! But for me it just cleans up the interior quite a lot. Everything else in the cab is so smooth, tight and clean, other than the gapping maw of the cubby. Now you can close that too.

EVannex - Tesla Model S CubbyCap

(I apologize for the low quality photos, was in the garage so it was a bit dim and not much light gets to this area--the photos on the EVannex site are quite a lot better):
IMG_2589.JPG
IMG_2590.JPG
IMG_2591.JPG

It just doesn't belong there, it looks out of place. The handle piece, or whatever that is in the upper middle, makes the entire thing look cheap. And that's also not where you would want any decor trim because the adjoining sides don't match. It's basically a breadbox in your Tesla.

Hmm. Thanks for the explanation. I have a fairly poor sense of style, so I was really just concentrating on the utilitarian value of not launching stuff into the air from the cubby. I'll solicit some other opinions on the style aspects. My instinct is that it is pretty much out of the way and I'll not likely be troubled by the aestetic issues.