Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show of hands… Adaptive Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many new Model S owners out there can actually FEEL the difference between “Sport” and “Comfort “? I know I can’t.… even though Tesla Service says it is functioning normally. No matter what I do with the suspension controls, my ride is the same… punishingly harsh. Yet, from these forums and YouTube, I see that many of you think the suspension is great. As this is probably one of the most sophisticated suspensions ever put in a car, I have trouble believing that mine is “functioning normally “. I think the key objective question here is “can you actually FEEL a difference in ride quality when you change suspension modes?” (By ”feel” I mean you KNOW it changed, if you just THINK it changed then it didn’t). It would really help me and, I know, a number of others out there to find out if our suspensions are screwed up or if that’s just the way they are. Thanks for any input you can provide.

How many new Model S owners out there can actually FEEL the difference between “Sport” and “Comfort “? I know I can’t.… even though Tesla Service says it is functioning normally. No matter what I do with the suspension controls, my ride is the same… punishingly harsh. Yet, from these forums and YouTube, I see that many of you think the suspension is great. As this is probably one of the most sophisticated suspensions ever put in a car, I have trouble believing that mine is “functioning normally “. I think the key objective question here is “can you actually FEEL a difference in ride quality when you change suspension modes?” (By ”feel” I mean you KNOW it changed, if you just THINK it changed then it didn’t). It would really help me and, I know, a number of others out there to find out if our suspensions are screwed up or if that’s just the way they are. Thanks for any input you can provide.
The new MS suspension is far from what I would call “great”.

It’s better than a 3/Y, as it should be, but personally I think it’s worse than the outgoing MS.

I also cannot tell a difference between the various modes. In my previous MS, it seemed far more apparent

Upvote 0
I concur - my MSLR suspension is quite firm/harsh no matter the setting. I expected more out of the combo of air suspension and the weight of the car. I’m in MN so maybe when the weather warms up it’ll soften? Unlikely I suppose. It’s pretty smooth on the highway but the city streets are jarring…

Reactions: Jabbahop
Upvote 0
As this is probably one of the most sophisticated suspensions ever put in a car, I have trouble believing that mine is “functioning normally “.
Certainly not the most sophisticated suspension. The magnetorheological suspensions are way more sophisticated (and are now 20 year old technology) and work waaay better.

I can just barely tell the difference between comfort and sport. Both are worse than the coil spring suspension in my 2014 S.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that input. We need to get a feel for how common this problem is. I think that a lot of owners don’t realize that they have a problem. Service doesn’t help as they, I believe, are too dependent on error codes. If it doesn’t generate an error code, and associated instructions on what part to replace, they insist that nothing is wrong. I tried to get them to take voltage measurements at the shock solonoids or simply bounce the fender up and down to check the damping rate. Simple, time tested diagnostic techniques are simply not in their repertoire. (BTW bouncing the fender on my car is similar to trying to bounce the kitchen granite countertop.).

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and tm1v2
Upvote 0
Can two people in the same area who have Palladium S with and without functioning damper adjustment get together, compare cars to make sure there's really an issue with one of them, and then show up at a Service Center together to show how obvious the problem is?

I know that shouldn't be needed to get Tesla to take this seriously, but wow, sounds like they are sandbagging like crazy on this. For a while it wasn't clear to me if the widely varying Palladium suspension reports were just because of people's different car backgrounds and preferences, or if the cars actually varied, but now I'm quite convinced the cars vary widely and the adjustable dampers are not working correctly in a large percentage of them.

Upvote 0
I don't feel a difference in my car build on 1/31/22. I tried showing the suspensions diagnostics but it was hard to watch while driving to see if there's any difference. I might try setting up the phone to video the screen while driving the same route in both modes to see if the numbers are different in each mode.

Upvote 0
I tried to watch the g forces displayed on the screen. They move at millisecond speed so they are difficult to see. They did appear to vary within the same range, regardless of suspension mode. BUT, the important thing is the difference in modes will be OBVIOUS if the suspension is working properly.… if you can’t FEEL it, it isn’t working. So, I’ll count you as “not working “. Are you driving a Long Range?

Upvote 0
I took delivery of a 2022 MSLR on January 2. But have only driven about 350 miles so far. I had been hoping I could set the suspension to a cushy setting that would be more comfortable than my Model Y. No luck! Today i took the car out for a test drive to see if I could tell the difference between ASD of Comfort versus Sport. I sure cant tell a difference! And i also tried ASD=Advanced and set Ride Comfort to Soft and Handling on the medium setting. No difference here either. Simply too stiff. I cant help but wonder if this might be due to the 'vibration' problem noted in other threads. Apparently keeping the suspension as stiff as possible helps minimize the unwanted vibration. So, Tesla may NOT be inclined to make things cushier for us as that could make the vibration problem more prevalent? I am just speculating about that. Sure would be nice to get Tesla's attention on our "lack of Comfort" problem and get an OTA update to fix it. Otherwise it is time to sell this car and get something else - Polestar 2? Merc EQS?

Upvote 0