Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sick of waiting? Vent here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody is denying waiting is rough. We waited 18 months for our "unicorn" P85D in the color combo AND all the options we wanted...

PLUS another 12 months to get the Ludicrous upgrade.

BOTH were DEFINITELY worth the wait.

Sorry if this is counter to your "venting thread". I was just trying to provide some hope and perspective. Silly idea to try to be positive I suppose.

Just curious as I am not very well informed about S and X delays, were you informed of 18 month wait when you reserved the car or was the date pushed back several times?.

So you are going to jump from the most forward-thinking manufacturer to the least forward-thinking manufacturer? A company (VW) with criminal convictions for manufacturing polluting vehicles and deceiving their customers? Nobody should ever reward that kind of behavior. Tesla may be behind schedule but nobody can question the environmental ethics of the company.

I don't think every Tesla owner or Model 3 waiter is buying a new Tesla for environmental reasons. I am certainly not, made that mistake a decade back, now I just buy used cars which have high resale value.

• Helpful
Reactions: AustinPowers
Just curious as I am not very well informed about S and X delays, were you informed of 18 month wait when you reserved the car or was the date pushed back several times?.

From what I remember waiting for the model s to go into production seemed like forever, Tesla pushed back the release date several times. Remember that back then the only cars Tesla had produced were the original roadster and that was more or less a modified lotus. You should have heard all the trolling and seeking idiots negativity that the model s was vapor ware and would never be produced and was years behind schedule. But sure enough, The model S was released, I see them on the road every day now and I'm on my second one.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV and kimberj

From what I've read the past 5 years, Tesla Model S and X delays have been very dependent on specific Model & option builds. Some parts from Teslas suppliers were unavailable or constrained which caused the entire car's production date to be delayed weeks or months. Agreed Tesla could have communicated this to their Build-To-Order ("BTO") customers better... But Tesla is a grand experiment building state-of-the-art products which are on the "bleeding edge" sometimes. IMHO it's the price we pay to own this revolutionary technology.

We ordered a Model S and put down a $5,000 deposit within a few months of our local Tesla showroom opening... knowing we'd have an 18 month wait. We delayed "finalizing" our order for another year thinking (correctly) Tesla would upgrade the Model S with significant improvements if we waited. About 12 months later the "XXD" (dual motor) models and Autopilot appeared... So our OA and I diligently scoured Tesla's "inventory" for a fully loaded P85D matching our paint and interior option preferences. After rejecting scores of P85D's that were close to our parameters, we finally found our "unicorn" P85D after 18 months.

Patience paid off both with a discount and the quantum leap improvements in build quality and Autopilot + dual drive additions. SO glad we were patient. IMHO, impatient Model S and X buyers can buy an "inventory" or CPO car... or wait and probably get more technology / features than they originally ordered.

Reactions: Seven7
From what I've read the past 5 years, Tesla Model S and X delays have been very dependent on specific Model & option builds. Some parts from Teslas suppliers were unavailable or constrained which caused the entire car's production date to be delayed weeks or months. Agreed Tesla could have communicated this to their Build-To-Order ("BTO") customers better... But Tesla is a grand experiment building state-of-the-art products which are on the "bleeding edge" sometimes. IMHO it's the price we pay to own this revolutionary technology.

We ordered a Model S and put down a $5,000 deposit within a few months of our local Tesla showroom opening... knowing we'd have an 18 month wait. We delayed "finalizing" our order for another year thinking (correctly) Tesla would upgrade the Model S with significant improvements if we waited. About 12 months later the "XXD" (dual motor) models and Autopilot appeared... So our OA and I diligently scoured Tesla's "inventory" for a fully loaded P85D matching our paint and interior option preferences. After rejecting scores of P85D's that were close to our parameters, we finally found our "unicorn" P85D after 18 months.

Patience paid off both with a discount and the quantum leap improvements in build quality and Autopilot + dual drive additions. SO glad we were patient. IMHO, impatient Model S and X buyers can buy an "inventory" or CPO car... or wait and probably get more technology / features than they originally ordered.
You received a discount? I've never heard of Tesla giving a discount.

You received a discount? I've never heard of Tesla giving a discount.

Tesla gives "Showroom Discounts" (how it was listed on our Tesla "Vehicle Quote" on their "inventory" cars based on:

* how many miles on them
• how many months since it's "build date"
• special promotions

These cars have never been titled so they're still eligible for the federal and state tax credits and rebates.

Our fully loaded March 2015 built 2015 P85D only had 2,906 miles and was sitting in the showroom of a local Tesla store in a mall in July 2015. Our "mileage and build date" discount was ~ 8.75%

Other "inventory" buyers have gotten significantly larger % discounts on "discontinued" Teslas (like when P90D was replaced by P100D). These typically happen at the end of quarter or year... and they go FAST (minutes or hours, not days).

Tesla gives "Showroom Discounts" (how it was listed on our Tesla "Vehicle Quote" on their "inventory" cars based on:

* how many miles on them
• how many months since it's "build date"
• special promotions

These cars have never been titled so they're still eligible for the federal and state tax credits and rebates.

Our fully loaded March 2015 built 2015 P85D only had 2,906 miles and was sitting in the showroom of a local Tesla store in a mall in July 2015. Our "mileage and build date" discount was ~ 8.75%

Other "inventory" buyers have gotten significantly larger % discounts on "discontinued" Teslas (like when P90D was replaced by P100D). These typically happen at the end of quarter or year... and they go FAST (minutes or hours, not days).
That's not a discount. That's used .... or CPO

That's not a discount. That's used .... or CPO

NOPE

Tesla's Used / CPO cars:
  1. have been previously sold or leased
  2. taxes, registration, etc. PAID
  3. have their "In Service Date" set which establishes the warranty starting date
  4. are NOT eligible for the $7,500 Federal tax credit and most state tax credits / rebates
Tesla's "inventory" cars:
  1. have NOT been previously transferred (Title is still in Tesla Motor's "manufacturer's" name)
  2. no sales taxes have been paid previously (since the vehicle hasn't been "SOLD")
  3. their "In Service Date" isn' NOT set until the Tesla's title is transferred to a consumer like me
  4. ARE eligible for the $7,500 Federal tax credit and most state tax credits / rebates

Last edited:
So you are going to jump from the most forward-thinking manufacturer to the least forward-thinking manufacturer? A company (VW) with criminal convictions for manufacturing polluting vehicles and deceiving their customers? Nobody should ever reward that kind of behavior. Tesla may be behind schedule but nobody can question the environmental ethics of the company.

Sorry to say, but that is just Tesla fanboy BS.
I have been like you, years ago, believing by heart what you describe. Couple of years down the road reality has sunk in.

Tesla may be forward thinking, but so are other manufacturers. And when it comes to BEVs, VW has been working on and even (granted on a miniscule scale) selling BEVs decades before Tesla was even conceived as a company!
Even before Dieselgate they already had the e-up and e-Golf on the market, and while some might argue that cars developed not-solely-as-an-ev might constitute "compliance vehicles" (a term that doesn't even have a meaning outside the US!), the e-Golf is anything but.

The only current non-Tesla BEVs that can match the e-Golf imho are the BMW i3, the Hyundai Ioniq and the new Nissan Leaf. The Bolt/Ampera-e could surpass it, but since GM doesn't want to sell it any more over here, the subject is mute. All other contestants are either not available here or at least not yet available. And since my personal preference is what matters to me when it comes to my purchasing decision, and I don't like the looks of either the i3 or the Leaf, and am also not a big fan of the exterior of the Ioniq, the e-Golf is my alternative vehicle of choice. Add to that the fact that we have a VW dealership within walking distance, while Hyundai is about twenty miles away (Tesla is even further away by the way).

As for the ruined image of VW in the US as well as its criminal conviction, trust me, I am not happy about the situation myself, especially as our second car has one of the infamous Diesel engines associated with the scandal, and in contrast to how US customers were treated in that respect, all we got was the free software upgrade to get the engine to match the emissions regulations after all.

Actually, the scandal is the only reason why I didn't get an e-Golf much earlier, as I was (and still am) very unhappy about how VW treated its non-US customers as second class customers.
BUT, that being said, when it comes to what I will drive in the future, I am willing to forgive all that, as long as I get a very good BEV for an attractive price. Like I said, I will go to the dealership in the next couple of days and get a quote for the configuration I made online, and then decide how am going to go forward. To me it is not about "rewarding" anyone or anything, it is about being pragmatic.

And I know that this might incite some ire by fanboys as well, but honestly, the Model 3 - to me - is not all that much better than the e-Golf, for my usecase that is:

- It has more range (which I don't really need but which would be just a bonus).
- It has a bit more interior room (again, which would only be a bonus, as we have the Touran as our main family hauler).
- It has more power (nice to have but no must)

And that's it.
The interior is a matter of debate. I don't mind the spartan look but I am also not crazy about it.
The SC network is pay-per-use, so no advantage over the coming network by the European consortium (which is technically even more advanced that the SC network).
And above all, there's the nasty UI with no binnacle and everything (even the glovebox opening!) on the center screen, which is two steps down compared to the S/X. True, software updates might alleviate some of those shortcomings (that many video reviews by new Model 3 owners mention as their biggest gripe about the car!), but even a software update can't install a missing binnacle (or at least a HUD *ducks for cover*).

So in essence, I reserved my Model 3 because I so wanted to drive a Tesla, but couldn't afford a Model S (technically I could, but it would be totally oversized, even more so than the Model 3 would be). I was therefor willing to make do with the things I don't like about it (see above). But as I have already been waiting almost two years since putting down my reservation, and even longer since knowing about and longing for the car, waiting yet another year is just not acceptable. And even if I wanted I couldn't get a used Model S since Tesla doesn't have any CPO or used or inventory cars anymore. But that's beside the point anyway.

Tesla can't survive without new customers.... and currently allot of non-owners seeing new owners of S & X models (used) jumping the line to bump them back further just upsets them more....

You are going to have to service the new customer soon or there is be more cancellations than new orders...

It's unfortunate for allot of those who stood in line for hours or ordered online..... 2 years is a long time to wait...

I'm in for the long haul.... But certainly understand why allot of others feel a tad rejected...

Wish I knew a Tesla owner that I could get to order for me... I have the money now, soI would be all over that!

I just can't believe whats happening concerning new Model S owners.

I just saw it with my own eyes.

A person purchased a brand new Model S. Keep in mind that the Model 3 is already in production.

They just purchased a brand new 2018 produced Model S. They put in a reservation for a Model 3 and got the invite to configure within 2 weeks.

My question is this:

How did that person contribute to the creation or anything related to the Model 3? Even though my friend is the one who did this....."He didn't contribute to ANYTHING related to the creation of the Model 3 AT ALL.

I really wish Tesla could explain this.

It’s difficult to wait for the model 3 and I know many may want to give up. I was one of the lucky ones in that my brother Jimmie_d a current model S owner stood in line for me in California the first day and it was delivered to Texas. So that was April 2016 to January 2018. I know many are having to wait much longer and are frustrated. I hope you don’t give up and give it more time because good things come to those who wait! I share some of my thoughts even tho much has already been written about the model 3. This isn’t a technical overview. It’s a feeling overview!

I had never driven a Tesla and it was really amazing day one. The first thing I noticed in Deckard (yes I named him Deckard) was how smooth he drives, how quiet he was and how awesome the glass roof is especially if you lay back in the fully reclining seats or sit in the back. TACC and regenerative braking makes driving a dream. I no longer have to worry about the stop and go in crazy traffic - Deckard does it for me. Taking off when you press the accelerator is a blast (yes like a rocket ship). I was very happy to find the automated parallel parking since I as a female human can’t seem to accomplish the feat but Deckard handles it like a pro. Everyone comments on how sporty it looks and I have had young and older people on the car and they all are blown away. The only thing I have not mastered is auto steer -I still find it a little scary but my brother said it will become easier with time. You have to keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention when using auto steer. Oh wait isn’t that what I do when I normally drive already ;)

The interior is minimalistic and I loved that but there is plenty of storage, cup holders, and places to plug in all your mobile devices. After a few days of using using the screen I felt at ease with it. The seats are extremely comfortable and the overall size of a model 3 feels just right (as Goldilocks would say)! The trunk is huge and the frunk is cute. The premium package sound system is phenomenal and I had no problems with iPhone connectivity. I had my first software update within a few weeks of buying the car and i just picked what time to have it applied and it worked like a charm. There are a thousand other feeling things to say but i really want to say is - THIS CAR IS AWESOME!

I also believe for those of you that are patient - it will be better. The early deliveries have a few minor issues. By the time you get your hopefully they are worked out. Mine were little things like some marking in the dashboard of the car (many have said they look like something was put on the dash and the car was left in the sun) or some looseness in the material on the interior of the A pillar. Sometimes Deckard asks me for the key card even tho I have my phone in hand. (Maybe he wants to be sure of my identity). Despite a few things I think THIS CAR is AWESOME!

Just think about playing some scifi music and gliding through the city and then out across the highway and through the winding roads in your cool electric Model 3 for the the first time. You will feel it was worth every day of the wait and dollar you have spent!

Reactions: BrokerDon and EinSV
Problem solved... You can get a Tesla Model 3 in weeks if you are a Tesla owner in the US :cool:

Tesla sent out a new batch of invitations to configure the Model 3 this week, but it’s still only to current Tesla owners in the US.

Interestingly, even owners who have just recently placed a new reservation can get the invitation and configure the vehicle for a delivery in ‘about 4 weeks’ – just like some Model S or Model X vehicles. We have received several reports from Tesla owners this week who hadn’t reserved the Model 3 over the last two years, but they decided to place a reservation this month and they already received an invite to configure.

Tesla has always stated that current owners of Model S, Model X, or Roadster vehicles have priority in the Model 3 reservation backlog, but the extent of the priority is greater than most people thought. As we previously reported, we learned that if you have owned more than one Tesla vehicle, you get priority on more than one Model 3 reservation. Now it sounds like the priority also extends to new reservations still being placed to this day.