Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla discounts that aren't supposed to happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

number12

Supporting Member
Aug 16, 2016
Tesla
looks like the discounts are starting again.. fool me once, but fool me twice?

Isn't email below from Tesla a direct contradiction to Elons statement on discounts?

- disgruntled full price end of Q3 payer

I'm not really mad, but confused I thought only CPOd cars are sold less than msrp?

Attachments

• IMG_6880.jpg
    IMG_6880.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 284
Inventory cars are sold at less than MSRP. They discount at a specific rate per days in inventory plus miles of use.
I bought mine as an inventory car that had been in inventory for 9 months and had almost 6k miles on it. As you can imagine, I received a fairly nice discount. But as you can also imagine, this car was used for test drives and loaner for 9 months and ~6k miles, so you are given a discount for the abuse the car most likely received.

looks like the discounts are starting again.. fool me once, but fool me twice?

Isn't email below from Tesla a direct contradiction to Elons statement on discounts?

- disgruntled full price end of Q3 payer

I'm not really mad, but confused I thought only CPOd cars are sold less than msrp?

There is a lot of confusion around this. So here is the message:
Ctea8zUVUAESePt.jpg:large

So... this doesn't preclude discounts on demo vehicles... or old stock, for example AP1 vehicles. They don't want to have per customer discounts for sure... no negotiations, no "I'll give you, in particular, free shipping" for example. They can run company wide promotions. They can discount, just under very clear, across the board, everyone-has-access discounts. For example, they do run the referral program. But new vehicles as demos do not get anything beyond algorithmic discounts, which are based on age and mileage. But at some point, those vehicles are older and can have higher discounts if they are no longer the latest spec vehicles.

As others have said above, he never said they wouldn't discount prices. Anyone who looks at Tesla's site can received the discounted price. They aren't hidden or subject to negotiation. TeslaInventory.com has a price change column which allows you to sort and quickly see all of the best deals. One CPO is currently marked down over $28,000 from what it was first listed at earlier this year since it has been used as a loaner and has higher miles now. There are scores of other AP1 cars with discounts of $5000 or more. Again, these discounts are public and available to anyone and are due to age, mileage, equipment, condition, etc.

Here's just a small sample of some of the Inventory cars with discounts than any buyer can get.
2016-12-05_1356.png

There are even some AP2 cars with discounts, either because they have miles on them or are canceled orders:
2016-12-05_1354.png

Attachments

• 2016-12-05_1352.png
    2016-12-05_1352.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 219
Yes, as many others in this forum confirmed, there are still discounts on brand new inventory vehicles.
I don't know why so many people try to convince themselves that there are not discounts.

Hey people, 50 miles on Tesla's website = Brand new.
Just call your DS and confirm.
My friends bought inventory vehicles with up to %23 discounts at Q3 end.

Yes, as many others in this forum confirmed, there are still discounts on brand new inventory vehicles.
I don't know why so many people try to convince themselves that there are not discounts.

Hey people, 50 miles on Tesla's website = Brand new.
Just call your DS and confirm.
My friends bought inventory vehicles with up to %23 discounts at Q3 end.

Remember, all vehicles that sit inside of showrooms have almost no miles and are still older and subject to algorithmic discounts. Algorithm includes both time and mileage. Any car not titled is considered new, mileage near zero or not.

"is Elon a liar?" Yes, he has lied about many things at Tesla. This however isn't one of them.

The pricing on Inventory cars is fair and relatively transparent.

The lies are more along the lines of things like what AP1 can do (almost none of what Elon promised), Timelines things will be delivered on (always well after what Elon says), the service experience (all loaners will be top of the line Tesla vehicles, valet service will be free, service will never be a profit centre, etc).
Elon has lied about many things. This just isn't an example of it.

Remember, all vehicles that sit inside of showrooms have almost no miles and are still older and subject to algorithmic discounts. Algorithm includes both time and mileage. Any car not titled is considered new, mileage near zero or not.
No, most of the inventory vehicles never been in show room or test drive. Most of them are brand new. Just like you'd buy an inventory car from any car dealership.
Let me give you a solid example.
Model S 60 5YJSB7E17GF163642 | Tesla UK
This car hasn't arrived to the UK yet. It's on the way.
It's just prebuilt, someone from the Tesla team configured it and ordered. No age no milage.
If you put the same config to the configurator today, it costs £ 71400. But it's price £66330 . So it has %7 discount.
What is the motivation behind this? Of course, it is to deliver more cars in this quarter.

Why people doesn't want to accept this. If it is custom order, no discount. If you buy a brand new prebuilt car, it's highly likely that there will be discounts time to time. It's no different than other car dealerships.

• Disagree
Reactions: callmesam and Troy
@number12 and @xborg are talking about discounts on brand new AP2.0 cars that have never been driven or displayed in showrooms and still have the plastic wraps on them. I can't find any brand new AP2.0 cars on the USA inventory page but most cars on the UK inventory page fit the description.

At the end of Q3, Tesla had to keep the production line running whether people ordered cars or not because they needed to meet delivery targets. As a result, they had lots of brand new cars nobody had ordered. Many of these were sold before the car even left the factory. It looks like the same thing is happening again. Most cars listed here on the UK inventory site are brand new (aka listed as 50 miles) and have AP2.0. It is a lot of work to compare prices to new but let me add a few:

If these links don't work for you, change the country selection to Great Britain, and then click on the links again.

Brand new AP2.0 cars:

£97,550 in the design studio, £92,630 on inventory website. £4,920 discount.
Model S 90D 5YJSB7E21GF163628 | Tesla UK

£96,950 in the design studio, £89,330 on inventory website. £7,620 discount.
Model S 90D 5YJSB7E20GF163829 | Tesla UK

£93,500 in the design studio, £88,880 on inventory website. £4,620 discount.
Model S 90D 5YJSB7E29GF162825 | Tesla UK

£93,000 in the design studio, £86,580 on inventory website. £6,420 discount.
Model S 90D 5YJSB7E23GF155322 | Tesla UK

Looking at www.ev-cpo.com, I see a lot of brand new AP2 cars in the following countries:
Germany 50 cars
UK: 27 cars
Belgium: 25 cars
Hong Kong: 22 cars
The Netherlands: 13 cars
Denmark: 11 cars
Switzerland: 11 cars
Norway: 5 cars

Last edited:
How did he get an inventory 60? On inventory sites I only see inventory 75's. Did he ask to rollback to 60 or are there inventory not online?
When I was searching, my OA stated that their internal system had access to more inventory cars than what appear online. I just gave him the specs for what I wanted, and he was able to find inventory cars across the USA, which I never saw online.

• Informative
Reactions: number12
Let's get something straight: Elon definitely lied. He didn't learn from Twitter that his own company was rampantly discounting just about every single car in inventory. It was done at his direction. He had to feign ignorance so that Tesla could return to the one-price-for-everyone paradigm once the quarter was over.

The reasoning was obvious: Tesla needed to liquidate AP1.0 cars because AP2.0 was ready. And a classic automobile dealership maneuver was the fastest way to accomplish that.

I'm happy. I got an $8500 "showroom discount" on a car that hadn't even finished production in Fremont yet. But anyone who paid full price during the year has a right to be disappointed.