Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature Owners: Rated Miles after charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious as to what other signature owners are seeing for rated miles after max and standard charges. I seldomly do range charges, but since I'm starting a road trip I did one this morning. Here is what I see immediately after the charge:

standard: 228 miles (90%, fw 4.5)
max range: 260 miles

Not too concerned about 228, but 260 seems a bit low for a range charge (used to be 273, I think). I have about 13,500 miles.

265 is the official 'rated' range but that can vary depending upon how exactly the number is arrived at which we don't know:(

Sme have suggested charging at lower amperage allows the battery pack to do a better job balancing the pack and end up with a few extra miles.
I am actually completing a range charge on my 85 which is close to your mileage (13,850). I'll report back in about an hour.
Charging at 24 amps.

I have clear evidence that Rated Range is NOT based on your driving history. During winter I use a LOT more power than I do during the summer. Rated Range did NOT change.

There's a lot of misinformation floating around among Tesla employees. If you want range information based on (recent) driving history, use the Energy App and set the Projected mode to Average.

I have an early production 85 (non-sig), with 9,500 miles on it and SW 4.5. I did my first max change to completion on Monday of this week. (I have done a few other charges in the months of ownership where I continued charging past the normal range, but always stopped and immediately drove the car before max charging had completed.)

Literally watched it finish the charge cycle and the RATED miles on the display at completion was 262.

Doug I don't know the particulars but I have asked 3 different Tesla Service employees this question in Menlo Park. And the undisputed answer was yes, rated range is dependent upon your driving history. They have had a number of nervous customers ask them about this. The algorithm is reportedly a bit too complex.

I'd personally like to see a simple "you have xx kWh" left in your battery alongside rated range.

I have clear evidence that Rated Range is NOT based on your driving history. During winter I use a LOT more power than I do during the summer. Rated Range did NOT change.

There's a lot of misinformation floating around among Tesla employees. If you want range information based on (recent) driving history, use the Energy App and set the Projected mode to Average.

(1) Doug I don't know the particulars but I have asked 3 different Tesla Service employees this question in Menlo Park. And the undisputed answer was yes, rated range is dependent upon your driving history. They have had a number of nervous customers ask them about this. The algorithm is reportedly a bit too complex.
(2) I'd personally like to see a simple "you have xx kWh" left in your battery alongside rated range.
(1) Agree with Doug here. If it's based on driving history, then I should be seeing a vastly different number than people like Jerry33.
(2) Totally agree that a kWh read-out would be ideal.

Well, I didn't quite finish the range charge. It was reporting two minutes left for quite some time. Amps had dropped down to about 9 amps so I know it was close.
Rated range was listed as 262.
From what I have seen, driving history has some affect on rated range, but it is very minor. It MAY actually have no affect, but there is something else that causes a small variation in day to day numbers.

I finish 90% with 230-232. Haven't let a range mode finish in a while so I don't know -- but I know it's less than the 272 I used to see. I attribute most of that to firmware changes (especially since we were pre-4.0 when they shipped).

Regarding what rated range means -- I can tell you that the *development team* at Tesla has told me that it's not simply based on kWh -- it's a complex algorithm. Whether that includes information regarding your driving history or not wasn't shared with me, but it's clearly not the same as projected.

On a range charge, my car will charge to 268 or 269 miles, then after the HPWC clicks off, the car will settle at 265 about 10 seconds after mains power is removed by the contactor. This is less than the 270 it used to stop at under 4.4, but because the two different software revisions use different methods, you can't compare those.

Still running 4.4 firmware, my most recent standard charge was 240 miles. This is with a bit over 10000 miles on the car.

I think the variation depends largely on the amount of time since charging completed; I use the timed charging and last looked only a couple hours after charging should've been done. Therefore I see nearly full.

However I recall the occasional weekend where I don't get in the car until afternoon and the charge shows 23_ ... less miles because of the vampire load.

Doug I don't know the particulars but I have asked 3 different Tesla Service employees this question in Menlo Park. And the undisputed answer was yes, rated range is dependent upon your driving history. They have had a number of nervous customers ask them about this. The algorithm is reportedly a bit too complex.

I'd personally like to see a simple "you have xx kWh" left in your battery alongside rated range.

Either they misunderstand the Qs, or they are very confused people. The energy app is the one that is based on (very recent--instant, 5 mile, 15 mile, or 30 mile) driving history. Not the (EPA) rated miles, which is based on, as someone else said, the EPA cycle. That's where the 265 # comes from; the EPA doesn't know how we drive. The (EPA) rated miles is simply a translation of the SOC into miles--probably not an exact science, from what I've read in other threads here.

Ideal's also not based on driving history. I'm pretty sure if I flip between rated and ideal miles, they will line up in a smooth line as my charge goes down.

BTW your Survey Monkey doesn't ask what software version people have. The "standard/max charge" in 4.4 changed and in 4.5, the highest non-range charge is a bit lower than the old "standard charge"...so you may get answers that throw off your results.

Regarding what rated range means -- I can tell you that the *development team* at Tesla has told me that it's not simply based on kWh -- it's a complex algorithm. Whether that includes information regarding your driving history or not wasn't shared with me, but it's clearly not the same as projected.

Interesting, but still, I don't think it's driving history the way most folks mean that phrase. This is asked or commented on very often at Tesla's own forums; they really should clarify it.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting to hear about the "driving history" aspect. My understanding has always been that of dsm and kendall, in which rated miles are computed purely based on the EPA estimates.

Not that this still doesn't mean it's simple. An unbalanced pack may lead to a different number depending on how they're reading the info, methinks...?