Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significant ride comfort in MYP Performance with 19" Gemini wheels/ higher profile tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve ordered an MY LR arriving in 3 weeks 😄and intend to add the boost option for that happy medium between max range, ride and acceleration. I considered the MYP until the 11th hour and then decided for an option that I feel may be the sweet spot.

MYLRw/boost seems to provide a nice balance between MLR and MYP.

I do have a set of 21” uber’s I’ve purchased off an MYP owner to use as my spring/summer set…while putting winter tires on the stock 19 Gemini’s.

Im hoping the 21’s on the LR suspension won’t be as harsh as the MYP’s lowered one? I also intend to run them with psi lowered enough to dampen some of the road bumps etc. I really wish there were softer shock options for the MY as my wife thinks the 2021 sR+ 3 we have with 18” rides like a go cart compared to the 100D 2018 S we used to have :(

Ride quality is very subjective and road and driving conditions vary a lot. I have to say that my MYLR riding on the 19" (8.5" wide wheels) have turned out to be a great option in all areas. At about 4k miles, it has all come together. The suspension has broken in a bit, the tire/wheel combo works well and looks great. My wife almost never complains about any ride quality issues and the lighter wheels help the handling.

I get why people go with the MYP but I can say I honestly have no regrets changing my order from the MYP to the MYLR once I found out about boost. It is really the Goldilocks of the range for our family. Even towing a 3,000 pound trailer, it still drives well. This is one of the few times in my life that a vehicle has significantly exceeded my expectations. It has turned out so well for us, I am seriously rethinking if we need the Model S we ordered at the same time.

I’ve ordered an MY LR arriving in 3 weeks 😄and intend to add the boost option for that happy medium between max range, ride and acceleration. I considered the MYP until the 11th hour and then decided for an option that I feel may be the sweet spot.

MYLRw/boost seems to provide a nice balance between MLR and MYP.

I do have a set of 21” uber’s I’ve purchased off an MYP owner to use as my spring/summer set…while putting winter tires on the stock 19 Gemini’s.

Im hoping the 21’s on the LR suspension won’t be as harsh as the MYP’s lowered one? I also intend to run them with psi lowered enough to dampen some of the road bumps etc. I really wish there were softer shock options for the MY as my wife thinks the 2021 sR+ 3 we have with 18” rides like a go cart compared to the 100D 2018 S we used to have :(
The 21s have a 40 aspect ratio, right? Lowering the PSI will put the rim at risk of damage. I hope you've thought this through. ;)

While I would love to have the improved acceleration, low ride height, better brakes etc with MYP, concerned with the ride quality and increased chances of 21" Uberturbine wheels causing problems with the roads around here.

Guess many people sell their 21" wheels and move to 19" Gemini, 20" induction wheels or aftermarket wheels with some higher profile /sidewall tires for increased ride comfort?

Purely from improving ride quality, if I swap out the 21" wheels with stock 19" Gemini wheels and tires, will it improve the ride quality somewhat closer to that of a LR? What else is the recommended approach without spending a ton money? Thanks!! Appreciate everyone inputs
You nailed it. But geminis don’t look good. IMO. The best option is M3P wheels with 255/40/20 or 245/45/20. You get stock wheel look but soften ride. The suspension is stiffer so it won’t match LR but the LR won’t come close to P on performance. I’ve run against a YP when I had YLR and it’s not close. But 95% of my driving I’m just spirited driving.

But smaller wheels are almost necessary IMO. It’s a big cache thing with tesla community. Since all cars look identical over 2-4 years the only way to differentiate is small nuances like wheel aesthetics and such. Uberturbine to me look best with OEM center caps. If you go aftermarket then you lose that cache at super charging stations. Lol.

But some like mod looks. I like only OEM.

I’ve wasted $5,000 buying and selling different configs on my YLR and YP. The P performs best with 19 or 20. The stock Uberturbine are super heavy and super stiff. But look great. You can’t have it all. If Y did air suspension then maybe? But that’s the X. 70k vs 110k.

Last edited:
I've got a YP on order for next month delivery. I was at the Tesla service/sales center here yesterday asking about the wheel options for going with a smaller wheel since I worried about curb rash. My wife will be the primary driver so hence the concern.

The Tesla staff there would not confirm or deny what wheels will work on the Y Performance, and said they doubted that the 19" stock wheels would work. So I thought I ask here, which Tesla wheels will work with the YP, and which aftermarket 19" wheels would work? Are there any 18" wheels the will work?

I've got a YP on order for next month delivery. I was at the Tesla service/sales center here yesterday asking about the wheel options for going with a smaller wheel since I worried about curb rash. My wife will be the primary driver so hence the concern.

The Tesla staff there would not confirm or deny what wheels will work on the Y Performance, and said they doubted that the 19" stock wheels would work. So I thought I ask here, which Tesla wheels will work with the YP, and which aftermarket 19" wheels would work? Are there any 18" wheels the will work?
19s absolutely work. Load rating is more than 21s and I ran 19s for 1000 miles on my YP.

18s will look too small for wheel well. 20s with 45 profile and all season tire are probably best overall.

Especially if your wife is the primary driver I think you’re eventually switch to the model Y long range. My advice is put no money down on the vehicle let the bank carry 100% of the loan because you’ll probably be able to sell the vehicle at no loss within six months and I think you’ll be better getting the long range again if your wife is driving it. On top of that you’ll find the long range sits 1 inch higher and if you go smaller wheels the Y performance will end up sitting more like a model three. I’ve owned two long range and 2 performanc Y so I’m speaking from about 20,000 miles of experience

The only benefit the performance brings over the long range is when you’re looking to meet somebody at a red light which absolutely it will do. Or if you want to go from 80 miles an hour to 100 miles an hour two seconds it will do that too. the car does exactly what it was built to do which is bring performance. But the stiffer suspension cannot be completely compensated for by tires or wheels so there’s no getting around that.

19s absolutely work. Load rating is more than 21s and I ran 19s for 1000 miles on my YP.

18s will look too small for wheel well. 20s with 45 profile and all season tire are probably best overall.

Especially if your wife is the primary driver I think you’re eventually switch to the model Y long range. My advice is put no money down on the vehicle let the bank carry 100% of the loan because you’ll probably be able to sell the vehicle at no loss within six months and I think you’ll be better getting the long range again if your wife is driving it. On top of that you’ll find the long range sits 1 inch higher and if you go smaller wheels the Y performance will end up sitting more like a model three. I’ve owned two long range and 2 performanc Y so I’m speaking from about 20,000 miles of experience

The only benefit the performance brings over the long range is when you’re looking to meet somebody at a red light which absolutely it will do. Or if you want to go from 80 miles an hour to 100 miles an hour two seconds it will do that too. the car does exactly what it was built to do which is bring performance. But the stiffer suspension cannot be completely compensated for by tires or wheels so there’s no getting around that.

Do you (or anyone else) know why the Tesla online store says that Geminis are not compatible with MYP?
"Note: This package is not compatible with Model Y Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with 21" Performance Wheels"

Also, from what I have read, the lower suspension isn't necessarily that bad as compared to MY LR. The ride comfort would almost be the same with similar wheels, but I don't know for sure.

The reason I've ordered the YP is because I can (hopefully) get it this year. I live in Arizona and the benefit of having an alternate energy car is going away. If I register one this year, the cost is about $120-150 for 5 years. Next year the first year will over $350 and the year after will be over $1000. The program for this year is grandfathered until you change the title on it. Since we tend to keep cars for a long time, that is a real benefit to us. Hence the questions about wheels on a YP. Otherwise I just order a Y LR. I'm also looking for a used Y LR but most have prices higher than my new YP.

Do you (or anyone else) know why the Tesla online store says that Geminis are not compatible with MYP?
"Note: This package is not compatible with Model Y Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with 21" Performance Wheels"

Also, from what I have read, the lower suspension isn't necessarily that bad as compared to MY LR. The ride comfort would almost be the same with similar wheels, but I don't know for sure.
It’s not “bad” because the car corners better. But it’s stiffer over bumps naturally. I have both LR and P and the suspension is noticeably different. If you’re cruising or daily commute I think LR is long term way to go. Coin toss.

It’s not “bad” because the car corners better. But it’s stiffer over bumps naturally. I have both LR and P and the suspension is noticeably different. If you’re cruising or daily commute I think LR is long term way to go. Coin toss.
Good to hear feedback from someone who owns both. Thanks.

I test drove both MYP and MYLR, and to me both felt similar in terms of ride quality - but that's based on a very short time spent with these cars. My family's biggest issue was some discomfort/dizziness associated with very aggressive regen. I have owned RWD Model S and RWD Model 3 in the past, and the regen wasn't as aggressive with those vehicles. Will need some time to get used to how much to let go of the pedal to make regen less jarring.

Good to hear feedback from someone who owns both. Thanks.

I test drove both MYP and MYLR, and to me both felt similar in terms of ride quality - but that's based on a very short time spent with these cars. My family's biggest issue was some discomfort/dizziness associated with very aggressive regen. I have owned RWD Model S and RWD Model 3 in the past, and the regen wasn't as aggressive with those vehicles. Will need some time to get used to how much to let go of the pedal to make regen less jarring.
For me, having driven manual trans cars most of my life, with aggressive engine braking, getting used to the "aggressive regen" of the MY was a non-issue. Literally a matter of 2-3 days, a half-dozen drives.

Reactions: ishareit
As someone who has a Carrera GTS, I must say that I'm getting tired of a harsh ride. In the 911, it's tolerable because it's not a daily driver. And the harshness in a way adds to the exhilaration. But for a daily driver like the MY, comfort is key. That's why we ordered a MYLR with the 19" tires. If I want more acceleration, I'll add the boost. But I'm not going to be slinging this thing around curves with my entire family in the vehicle. As I get older, I value comfort. My Lexus LX470 is oh so cushy and is great on road trips (except for the 17 mpg issue lol).