Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signs that Tesla is delivering LR RWD 3’s to cash buyers earlier?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

See Tesla Model 3 buyers are feeling Tesla’s new quest for profit

Quote from article: “Over the past week, we have received reports from half a dozen Model 3 reservation holders who recently converted their reservations into orders for the Long Range rear-wheel-drive Model 3, the only Model 3 in volume production for now.

As usual, they were given months-long delivery windows after confirming their orders, but that changed after they confirmed their payment method to be cash without any trade-in.

They all reported their delivery window being reduced to weeks – even just one week in a few cases.

The loophole for a quicker delivery still doesn’t seem to apply to the dual motor and performance versions of the Model 3, which Tesla has yet to bring to volume production.“

Yeah.... Not sure I agree.....

That being said, I am paying "cash" for mine.... Reserve: 4/28/16 / Configure 6/27/18 / Vin assign 6/29/18 / 1st Delivery date 7/17/18 / 2nd delivery date 7/12/18 - Midnight Silver/RWD/LR/PUP/EAP/FSD/18" - West Palm Beach, FL.

But, before they release the car, they take your money - CHECK/LOAN/Transfer.... So, they get 100% payment right then and there...

Uh.... isn't every order 'cash'? Financed orders are 'cash' to Tesla, no? They get the cash from the finance company, you get the liability. I'm not seeing the difference from Tesla's POV (financially).

For the S and X, sure, Alliant got money for the loan, but I'm sure there's no such deal for the 3.

Still less paperwork for them with cash, so a faster process.

Keep in mind that some of the delivery centers are working through these deliveries at a rate of 3 per hour so even 5 minutes per order helps.

Pretty sure this has no effect on delivery window, at least in Canada. One of the advantages Tesla gained by opening the floodgates was a better handle on configurations so the factory could process accordingly. Prior, there was a slight advantage early on with orders that were black and standard rims due to production volumes...at least that's what I was told.

I had a credit union loan and the time from first contact from my ISA to delivery was only five days (June 27-July 2). Config to delivery was about 8 weeks (May 6-July 2).

No trade-in so it is possible that speeds things up.

I reserved first day in store, ordered 6/30/2018 with LR-RWD Pearl White, in South Orange County, CA. Cash, no trade in, and I have yet to receive any communication. Oct '18 - Dec'18 window.
At the risk of changing the ridiculous topic of this thread, I have that same configuration and have been driving the car since January. I wouldn't change anything. As an early car I insisted on several tweaks to the fit and finish, including a visit with a regional manager when told by the SC that a couple issues were "within specs." They weren't within my specs and I got 100% satisfaction.

My poor S usually sits unless my flight attendant wife is in town. All of the Tesla skeptics are missing one vital piece of information: The Model 3 is a great car and that assessment is from someone who believed nothing short of a supercar was better than my 911 Porsches.

Last edited:
At the risk of changing the ridiculous topic of this thread, I have that same configuration and have been driving the car since January. I wouldn't change anything. My poor S usually sits unless my flight attendant wife is in town. All of the Tesla skeptics are missing one vital piece of information: The Model 3 is a great car and that assessment is from someone who believed nothing short of a supercar was better than my 911 Porsches.

I wonder if it is because of color choice that others are receiving VIN's earlier?

I suspect that might be the case, I've noticed the locations of the people who've received their VIN's, and most often they are not in Cali.

Ditto. Most of the cars bring delivered after the 6/27 orders are outside California.
The common denominator to me seems to be Aero wheels. I’ve seen very few configs with sport wheels being assigned VINs/ delivered.

Reactions: Hkbruin