TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Signs that Tesla is delivering LR RWD 3’s to cash buyers earlier?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by ecarfan, Jul 6, 2018.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

See Tesla Model 3 buyers are feeling Tesla’s new quest for profit

Quote from article: “Over the past week, we have received reports from half a dozen Model 3 reservation holders who recently converted their reservations into orders for the Long Range rear-wheel-drive Model 3, the only Model 3 in volume production for now.

As usual, they were given months-long delivery windows after confirming their orders, but that changed after they confirmed their payment method to be cash without any trade-in.

They all reported their delivery window being reduced to weeks – even just one week in a few cases.

The loophole for a quicker delivery still doesn’t seem to apply to the dual motor and performance versions of the Model 3, which Tesla has yet to bring to volume production.“

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Uh.... isn't every order 'cash'? Financed orders are 'cash' to Tesla, no? They get the cash from the finance company, you get the liability. I'm not seeing the difference from Tesla's POV (financially).

For the S and X, sure, Alliant got money for the loan, but I'm sure there's no such deal for the 3.

• Like x 8
  3. Chris350

Chris350 Member

Yeah.... Not sure I agree.....

That being said, I am paying "cash" for mine.... Reserve: 4/28/16 / Configure 6/27/18 / Vin assign 6/29/18 / 1st Delivery date 7/17/18 / 2nd delivery date 7/12/18 - Midnight Silver/RWD/LR/PUP/EAP/FSD/18" - West Palm Beach, FL.

But, before they release the car, they take your money - CHECK/LOAN/Transfer.... So, they get 100% payment right then and there...

4. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Still less paperwork for them with cash, so a faster process.

Keep in mind that some of the delivery centers are working through these deliveries at a rate of 3 per hour so even 5 minutes per order helps.

• Like x 2
  5. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

What a load of rubbish.
    Tesla receives the full price of the every vehicle sold as cash regardless of how the buyer raises it.
    And the suggestion that they prioritize orders with less paperwork is also ridiculous. It would take them longer to establish a prioritization system than they'd save by prioritizing simpler orders.

• Like x 5
  6. felixculpas

felixculpas Member

Pretty sure this has no effect on delivery window, at least in Canada. One of the advantages Tesla gained by opening the floodgates was a better handle on configurations so the factory could process accordingly. Prior, there was a slight advantage early on with orders that were black and standard rims due to production volumes...at least that's what I was told.

7. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

You don’t think they already have a prioritization system in place...?

They would just need to add one variable to it - an hour of work to save 833 hours for every 10’000 vehicles delivered.

8. MissyMcBee

MissyMcBee Member

My order is in as cash (financing outside of Tesla...but they don't know that)....received June delay delivery email on 5/20....still waiting! see my signature for info! if CASH got you a car sooner....your theory does not hold up! Nice try

• Like x 1
  9. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

It seems like everyone is missing the "and no trade-in" part of the equation.

• Like x 4
  10. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Not if Tesla is acting as the finance company themselves instead of using a third party bank.

11. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Right, but the financing side is still paying the purchasing side the full amount. And are they really doing this in house? For S and X's, I thought they just 'located' a finance company (like Alliant). (I used Aliant directly.)

12. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

This ^^^

• Like x 1
  13. MissyMcBee

MissyMcBee Member

I have NO trade-in either... still waiting (75 days...tic tock)

• Funny x 2
  14. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

I had a credit union loan and the time from first contact from my ISA to delivery was only five days (June 27-July 2). Config to delivery was about 8 weeks (May 6-July 2).

No trade-in so it is possible that speeds things up.

15. Hkbruin

Hkbruin Member

I reserved first day in store, ordered 6/30/2018 with LR-RWD Pearl White, in South Orange County, CA. Cash, no trade in, and I have yet to receive any communication. Oct '18 - Dec'18 window.

16. azred

azred Active Member

#16 azred, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    At the risk of changing the ridiculous topic of this thread, I have that same configuration and have been driving the car since January. I wouldn't change anything. As an early car I insisted on several tweaks to the fit and finish, including a visit with a regional manager when told by the SC that a couple issues were "within specs." They weren't within my specs and I got 100% satisfaction.

My poor S usually sits unless my flight attendant wife is in town. All of the Tesla skeptics are missing one vital piece of information: The Model 3 is a great car and that assessment is from someone who believed nothing short of a supercar was better than my 911 Porsches.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  17. Hkbruin

Hkbruin Member

I wonder if it is because of color choice that others are receiving VIN's earlier?

18. MissyMcBee

MissyMcBee Member

I think its because Tesla back-stocked cars all over the country (except bay area) and many folks are getting their cars really quick because the cars are there....just my .02

• Like x 2
  19. Hkbruin

Hkbruin Member

I suspect that might be the case, I've noticed the locations of the people who've received their VIN's, and most often they are not in Cali.

20. mfa1

mfa1 Member

Ditto. Most of the cars bring delivered after the 6/27 orders are outside California.
    The common denominator to me seems to be Aero wheels. I’ve seen very few configs with sport wheels being assigned VINs/ delivered.

• Like x 1