Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sirius XM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't you transmit via bluetooth? I use the android app and transmit via bluetooth to the car (Acura TL).

I can using the app from my phone. I considered setting up a BT adapter for a separate XM unit, but then I lose hands free calling ability since now the XM unit is using the BT connection, and Tesla doesn't appear to allow multiple devices paired at the same time.

There's supposed to be a Bluetooth car dock for some SiriusXM radios (like the Onyx), part number SXBTD1V1. I have an inquiry over on a satrad board to see why I can't find the part (which was supposedly release last year) for sale anywhere.

I can using the app from my phone. I considered setting up a BT adapter for a separate XM unit, but then I lose hands free calling ability since now the XM unit is using the BT connection, and Tesla doesn't appear to allow multiple devices paired at the same time.

I use the app on my phone through bluetooth.... When a call comes in, my car pauses the XM and asks in I wish to answer the phone... When the call is done, it jumps back to the XM at the point it paused it...

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
When I called to cancel my Chevy Volt subscription because it wouldn't work in my Model 3, Sirius sent a 'free' radio. I thought I'd give it a try. Well:

Just where do you stick the antenna without disfiguring the car? Because of the glass roof, the antenna almost works just inside. Almost.
The 12v ("lighter") plug blocks putting the center console tray in. Ugh.

It doesn't work all that well. I didn't want to use streaming just because it would up my data service charge. But I might have to go that way.

For those who ask: Sirius has the Met Opera Channel, which is not anywhere else but Sirius. Yes, there are streaming opera channels, but they aren't very good.

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick
There is a company called Vaus technologies who are trying to get a Model 3 to work out the Sirius add on. They specialize in adding Sirius XM aftermarket and connecting to the cars display via USB. They have to figure out a way to make th systems talk to each other. The guy who I spoke with told me to give him a couple of months. They are in Englewood, CO so if there are any M3 owners who want to help us Sirius hopefuls- swing on by.

• Informative
Reactions: mwenn1 and X Fan
1) I wouldn't trust SiriusXM to write a good app. Their iOS app doesn't have a very good UI. Very inefficient use of screen space.

2) To answer my earlier question, it APPEARS that SiriusXM never (or hasn't yet) produced the Bluetooth cradle, even though some sites were advertising it 6 months ago.

Reactions: X Fan
Yeah.... I had the radio in the car thing.... I had a cradle and all.... I pulled it out and just opt'd to us my phone app for the service.... The only two drawbacks for me were using data to stream and the lack of NFL games transmitted through the mobile app. But, I solved the NFL issue with Tunein Pro and get all the games that way.... So, when the car finally arrives (hopefully in the next 6 months), I will just continue to use the phone app. The bluetooth quality works pretty well for me as long as the car plays nice with the connection.

There is a company called Vaus technologies who are trying to get a Model 3 to work out the Sirius add on. They specialize in adding Sirius XM aftermarket and connecting to the cars display via USB. They have to figure out a way to make th systems talk to each other. The guy who I spoke with told me to give him a couple of months. They are in Englewood, CO so if there are any M3 owners who want to help us Sirius hopefuls- swing on by.

Google can't seem to find that company.

I'm thinking the cradle MIGHT go where a traditional speedometer would be - maybe mount it on the steering wheel where it joins the dash. The FM transmitter would transmit the signal to the FM antenna in the Model 3, so I'd have to have the 3's system set to "FM".

As I just got my VIN this morning, I'm going to start working on this soon - I haven't even seen a '3' in person to try and figure out where the cradle could go or where to mount the satrad antenna. With that all glass roof, that could be a challenge.

I did the cradle thing/FM trans with my Acura.... The must disappointing thing I encountered is finding a constant Fm to transmit too. I used many different transmitters, but always found them to be a little under powered in transmitting... Since going to blue tooth direct, I eliminated all those issues and just use my phone for Sirius/XM.

Thats awesome will have to keep an eye out for that!