Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sirius XM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, they make good stuff. Had their module in my Lexus, it was nice. I am guessing they will have to make whatever module emulate a USB stick to work with Tesla via USB.

i had thought about trying to do something like this with a raspberry pi, but i don't have the time to try to figure out the programming needed to make it happen. hopefully they can get it done in short order...the fact there's at least someone working on it is enough for me to stream via my phone for at least a few months while i see if they can figure something out rather than just adding a portable radio from the jump.

Is there any way to know what kind of solutiopn they're working on? I mean, is it going to be an interface between a portable receiver and the car? ...or is it intended to be an "all in one" solution?

I think they try to integrate the radio with the car's exisiting display and controls. That is my understanding and hope. Having a 15" screen and having to use your phone for Sirius is sad. The challenge for them is to connect to a USB port and have their radio talk to the car.

Anyone try using the Roav VIVA? http://a.co/42k3GVw It adds amazon alexa to your vehicle and lets you stream your music via voice controls. This would allow hands free streaming and station changing of sirius xm through phones data. In addition to sirius xm it can stream amazon music and they say spotify support is coming. It can be used for phone calls so you still get hands free calling. It can control home automation as well so you can turn on house lights when you arrive etc if you have a smart home. I don't have my Model 3 yet but I got a VIVA to play around with. I installed it in my Model X and it did everything I expected it to do. Im not sure of the 12v location in the model 3 but it fit in the model X but the 12v outlet cover now blocks the console from fully closing, if I were to leave the VIVA in the model X I would find a way to remove the 12v port cover. Way less invasive then adding an aftermarket kit that uses fm modulation but won't work in areas of no cell service its a trade off that I can live with.

A lot of stations black out their internet broadcast for games.

Sirius also has channels worth listening to not found on terrestrial radio. There’s value there.

MLB is blocked from streaming live games over internet radio. So my work around is my phone app subscription to MLB.TV which I can access via Model 3. It's not as seamless as Sirius XM Satellite, but it works, and hopefully there won't be any dead spots between LA and Vegas.

Now I just need to figure out how to listen to NFL games when the season starts.

MLB is blocked from streaming live games over internet radio. So my work around is my phone app subscription to MLB.TV which I can access via Model 3. It's not as seamless as Sirius XM Satellite, but it works, and hopefully there won't be any dead spots between LA and Vegas.

Now I just need to figure out how to listen to NFL games when the season starts.

I currently use TuneIn Pro Radio - I seems to work very well for me. It also allows me to choose which teams feed I want or the national feed if available.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dana1
I currently use TuneIn Pro Radio - I seems to work very well for me. It also allows me to choose which teams feed I want or the national feed if available.

The MLB play-by-play streaming broadcast station on TuneIn does not work for me. And the regional sports radio broadcasts on TuneIn state the play-by-play streaming broadcasts are prohibited by MLB on this internet radio station. What am I doing wrong? Maybe I should schedule another wonderful visit to my service center ?

Not having Sirius/XM available is a big drawback for a lot of people, including me. I have a Model 3 on order and the lack of satellite radio is a real pain. It is one of those incomplete aspects of the car that draw unfavorable attention.

Right now I have a Model S and a Toyota Prius and both came with Sirius/XM factory installed. I listen to it preferentially to local FM, streaming, Tune In, etc. because it is always on, the signal is clear, and the audio fidelity is adequate. Bluetooth is not a sufficient Sirius/XM substitute because it depends on the cellular reception of your cell phone. In my case, this can be spotty in town due to interference and and there is insufficient cell coverage on some major intercity highways in Texas.

I spoke to a Tesla sales representative about this. His answers were pretty vague, but he seemed to be saying that the existing car hardware could be activated to receive Sirius/XM but that an antenna location had not been settled upon.

Those of us who are waiting on Model 3s need to make known our desire for Sirius/XM as an option. A Model 3 should have a radio receiver at least as good as a Toyota Prius.

Reactions: WallyP
...Those of us who are waiting on Model 3s need to make known our desire for Sirius/XM as an option. A Model 3 should have a radio receiver at least as good as a Toyota Prius.

What if we couldn't care less about Sirius/XM? :) It was in both of my 2017 BMW's, and I finally had to yell at them to get them to stop calling me to try to get me to sign up.

Tesla just needs to give us CarPlay (and Android Auto) and get the Hell out of my way.

• Disagree
Reactions: MikeATL and WallyP
What if we couldn't care less about Sirius/XM? :) It was in both of my 2017 BMW's, and I finally had to yell at them to get them to stop calling me to try to get me to sign up.

Tesla just needs to give us CarPlay (and Android Auto) and get the Hell out of my way.

the reason a lot of us want satellite radio is because not everywhere in this country has cell service. some of us drive through or live in areas with limited or no data connectivity...which makes the model 3 entertainment system useless except for regular old FM radio. that is unacceptable in 2018, IMO.

Reactions: MikeATL and WallyP
More choices would be a good thing if they were consistent with the overall software architecture of the car. Given the high degree of development of Tesla's infotainment system, I doubt they would consider accepting CarPlay. Most Tesla owners think very highly of the Tesla system, as was borne out by the polling done by Consumer Reports and reported in the October 2017 issue of the magazine.

Setup a free account at Home | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn You do NOT need to start a free trial, instead use the Sign Up link on the left side.

Now search for the channels you enjoy. Make them your favorites. When you use your logon username and password in the Tesla vehicle, your favorites will appear. Searching for content on the computer at home may provide channels you don't discover in the vehicle.

Having an account shows your favorite list on the smart phone TuneIn App as well.

One of my favorites is this easy listening channel: Seeburg 1000 Background Music Library. Here is the link: Listen to Best of Seeburg 1000 Background Music Library on TuneIn

More information about Seeburg 1000 can be found here: Seeburg 1000 Background Music Radio | seeburg1000.com

Last edited:
Reactions: X Fan
I use the app on my phone through bluetooth.... When a call comes in, my car pauses the XM and asks in I wish to answer the phone... When the call is done, it jumps back to the XM at the point it paused it...
I use the app on my phone through bluetooth.... When a call comes in, my car pauses the XM and asks in I wish to answer the phone... When the call is done, it jumps back to the XM at the point it paused it...

Do you have to have unlimited data to do that?

Anyone feel encouraged by the availability of Sirius XM on the model S WITHOUT the sun roof? The argument was that you needed the sunroof for the antenna. Not anymore apparently. So that leaves the door open for Sirius XM on the model 3. We can hope.

am I the only one who can't get the app to play more than a few minutes without randomly stopping for no reason? I've basically given up on it...no other streaming source has this issue, so it's not my phone or the car. it's the Sirius app.

am I the only one who can't get the app to play more than a few minutes without randomly stopping for no reason? I've basically given up on it...no other streaming source has this issue, so it's not my phone or the car. it's the Sirius app.

I’ve been having issues with the app since he latest update. It doesn’t remember where I left off and reverts back to the FIRST spot I paused the app.

Bummed that there also isn’t an option to play via USB connection, feel like the sound is always better with solid connection.

Would love if SiriusXM is somehow integrated in the future because while I do mostly drive in areas with good enough cell service, there are definitely spots where it’s not that great. Also would be nice to avoid using up all that data.