Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Size issues Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually it does, you just can't see it. The folding mechanism is very clever. The hinge is about halfway down the stalk and the mirror shell pivots in.

Check out this video clip from another thread:
Model S in two showrooms this coming weekend
About half way through, after the car clears the doors, you'll see an employee fold out the mirrors.

Actually it does, you just can't see it. The folding mechanism is very clever. The hinge is about halfway down the stalk and the mirror shell pivots in.
It's good to see the mirrors at least fold manually, I can live with that. Though that mechanism is pretty standard, the wierd ones are the ones that are folded up or down. Some cars the mirrors end up pointing to the sky.

Cobos

I'm considering installing a pair of wire curb feelers. Remember those? It's been so long since I've seen these on cars, maybe it'll be cool again. I just ordered some online. Stand by for an update.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 816
I'm considering installing a pair of wire curb feelers. Remember those? It's been so long since I've seen these on cars, maybe it'll be cool again. I just ordered some online. Stand by for an update.

Were these EVER cool?!?!?!

the model S is a bit big and I def take my time parking so I don't get any dings or scratch up the wheels...but b/w the backup camera and the mirrors tilting down I have to say I don't see the need for the curb feelers.

If you haven't already, setup your side view mirrors to tilt down when you are in reverse. Tilt them down far enough that you can see the curb. Much better to SEE the curb rather than FEEL it (IMHO).

Laugh if you must, but after two trips to the wheel repair shop.....

IMG_7987-1.jpg
IMG_7986-1.jpg
IMG_7992-1.jpg
IMG_7993-1.jpg

Front mounted with one black self-tapping screw from below

IMG_7985-1.jpg
IMG_7988-1.jpg
IMG_7990-1.jpg
IMG_7991-1.jpg

Rear mounted with no fasteners - Pretty clean, 5 min install

This is really not a bad idea. If Tesla doesn't like the looks they can provide you with proper sensors.

I learned to drive on a car that was 76.6 inches wide. Of course, that was more years ago than my mathematical skills are up to :)

View attachment 16193 View attachment 16192 View attachment 16197View attachment 16198
Front mounted with one black self-tapping screw from below

View attachment 16191View attachment 16194 View attachment 16195 View attachment 16196
Rear mounted with no fasteners - Pretty clean, 5 min install

Sounds like you very much did take my comment as more light hearted (ie. joke/jab) rather than take it too seriously (ie. be offended).

i wouldn't want to scratch those wheels either...they are way too beautiful! I have the smoked out gray wheels so any scratches would be even more obvious!

I realize this was a very quick and inexpensive mod...but have you considered an aftermarket parking sensor kit? There are several posts already about this. May cost you $100 but that's a drop in the bucket for piece of mind. I mention it b/c I just feel like the curb feelers just don't fit the personality of the car....obviously this is just my opinion...I picture curb feelers on the long Cadillac mark V's.....

anyone else wanna weigh in on this???

anyone else wanna weigh in on this???

Most of the sensor kits require holes to be cut in the bumpers (appearance), and all require wires to be run (some risk as your car will likely be the very first Model S the shop has done--unless you're in CA). For a long time when I saw the sensor plugs on other cars, I thought they were mounting points for some trim pieces that didn't get ordered because the person bought the el-cheapo model.

The mirrors and backup camera help with the rear wheels, but I'm more concerned about the front. From the driver's seat, you see the creases running down the hood, but I have to keep reminding myself there's at least a foot of unseen car lateral to them.

the model S is a bit big and I def take my time parking so I don't get any dings or scratch up the wheels...but b/w the backup camera and the mirrors tilting down I have to say I don't see the need for the curb feelers.

Last edited: