Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio 320 Kbps Bitrate (how do I access it?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is reasonable to assume Tesla has capped the maximum bitrate to save bandwidth since they pay for it... and the internet connection also has to serve maps and car telemetries...

AND also if I understand it correctly... regardless of 3G/4G there is actually a hard cap on the maximum connection speed... because someone had taken their SIM out... put it into a cellular modem... and it was still slow

EDIT:
Found the post here... where the poster got a massive 11Mbps
You can use the SIM out of the MCU in other applications.

Anyway... If indeed they do hard cap the bitrate... I would think that is reasonable... until they start charging or offering to charge you for internet connectivity

Last edited:
You will not get the login information from Tesla. You must go to the slacker website and create a new account($30) with a new password. When you are logged into the account go to settings and turn on the 320 bit. Then go to the car and on the slacker page go clear to the bottom and sign into your new account. Now you’re all set and to enjoy the 320 bit music. if you can’t hear the difference then you are not a good judge of quality music.

You will not get the login information from Tesla. You must go to the slacker website and create a new account($30) with a new password. When you are logged into the account go to settings and turn on the 320 bit. Then go to the car and on the slacker page go clear to the bottom and sign into your new account. Now you’re all set and to enjoy the 320 bit music. if you can’t hear the difference then you are not a good judge of quality music.

This is completely false. Tesla will give you the login. They gave it to me.

Changing that setting does nothing in the car. The car sets the max bitrate at 128kbs, THIS CANNOT BE CHANGED!

Reactions: audiofan
You buy the $30 per year plan. Log in at the bottom of the screen, go to settings and turn on 320 bit. Superb quality in the M3.

Okay, I purchased the Slacker plus plan and logged in on the bottom right of my cars touchscreen; however, no high bit rate option appeared, the owner`s manual says the high bit option is available with the hi fi system (Tesla assures me I have the hi fi system). Maybe the owner`s manual hasn't kept up with the recent software updates?

Tdriver, does the 320 bit rate option still exist on your touchscreen now if you log off and back on?

Last edited:
Just tried it again and looks like the settings saved compared to last time I did it
Not sure if there is a noticeable difference in quality tho

Likez, I bought a Slacker account and logged in today on the lower right of the touchscreen, but the high 320 option ( or any option) did not appear on my car? What model Tesla are you seeing the option on?

When I opened my Slacker plus account using my home computer, I chose the 320 bit rate option in the Slacker user settings. Although I didn't see the 320 Kbps option on my tesla`s touchscreen when I logged in to Slacker, I am pretty certain I am noticing smoother more detailed sound than before the login.

Last edited:
20181231_160902.jpg
The smoother more detailed sound must have been my imagination, I chatted directly with Slacker, here is the conversation:

audiofan:
I recently signed into slacker in my 2018 Tesla model S using my account login info. I want to be sure the 320 kbps high quality sound is enabled, is there a way to verify I am getting the higher 320 bit rate stream in my Tesla?
Chat started
Frank S. joined the chat
Frank S.
I do apologize. 320 bit rate is not available in Tesla.
320 bit rate is only supported in the Slacker website, mobile phone apps, and Sonos audio system.
audiofan
What is available in the Tesla?
Frank S.
Tesla has chosen to only support 64 and 128 at this time.
audiofan
Did Tesla ever have 320?
Frank S.
No, Tesla has never enabled 320 bit rate.
audiofan
Could they if they wanted to (is it possible)?
Frank S.
Yes, they could.
audiofan
Is there any benefit to using your home account in the Tesla?
Frank S.
There's no additional benefit to purchasing your own subscription and using your own account vs using the account provided by Tesla with your (save for having access to all your ratings across all devices).
audiofan
Okay, thanks for your help.
Frank S.
Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
audiofan
That's all, thanks
Frank S.
Thank you for using Slacker Radio Support Chat. Have a great day!

Last edited:
I thought there were at least 4 distinct benefits to using a premium slacker account:
  1. Personal playlists
  2. Ability to play for albums or specific artists (I believe the fee account does this for one song)
  3. Play the same song multiple times if desired
  4. To go "back" in your playlist
Does the free account do any of these?

This image is from my Tesla`s touchscreen owner`s manual. It clearly shows that the high bit rate setting is (was)supposed to exist. The high bit setting does not show on my cars touchscreen when I log into Slacker. I posted the above chat I had with a Slacker customer service rep who told me 320 mbps has never been offered in the Tesla.
20181231_160902.jpg

That`s a good question. I recently drove a 2015 loaner Tesla MS with the standard stereo, the sound quality was poor compared to UHFS. I especially noticed a lack of clarity, depth and an overall congested sound compared to the UHFS, tweaking the equalizer hardly helped. Maybe it is due (in part) to a lower bit rate being used in the standard stereo system, it certainly sounded like it was a lower bit rate to me.