Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio 320 Kbps Bitrate (how do I access it?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to this Tesla's have the plus subscription with the higher bitrate, but bitrate is limited to 160kbps. I am not sure if anyone has opened their own account and had 320 kbps options or not, and if the car was able to buffer it, but all I know is it sounds one hell of a lot better than Sirius ever did.

Reactions: ahkahn and audiofan
Thanks, I sent an email to Tesla asking for the Slacker password and info and if 320 kbps is available. I will post whatever answer Tesla gives me.

I too have the upgraded Audio.
Ive already done that and tried to login and check, so lemme save you some time and suspense. ;)

There is indeed an option you need to turn on.

slacker.jpg

That is the setting page once you get your account information and login to slacker.
Under Maximum Audio you set at on.

Yeah, I know it suggests that in the article, but I called them and they said they do not give out that information. For sure let us know what info you get.

Oh really?

Did they give me mine because i have a P100D? :confused:

IF this helps here is the email i got my info from.

[email protected]

Reactions: audiofan
Ive already done that and tried to login and check, so lemme save you some time and suspense. ;)

slacker.jpg

That is the setting page once you get your account information and login to slacker.

Oh really?

[email protected]

Did you notice a difference once you enabled it?

Same here. I even compared by logging in and out, played the same music ... no difference. Cancelled my Slacker sub after 4 months.

More evidence that it is limited to 128/160 kbps.

You buy the $30 per year plan. Log in at the bottom of the screen, go to settings and turn on 320 bit. Superb quality in the M3.

But is it better than not having the subscription? Have you tested it?

My understanding from reading older threads is that in-car streaming is limited to 160 Kbps, irrespective of the settings within the account.

It's actually limited to 128kbs in the car's software. Not possible to change it.

I don't know if it is possible for someone who rooted the car to be able to determine the actual bit rate, but either 128 or 160 it doesn't really make that much difference between the two but I have seen no proof that we can get 320 kbps.

Someone with the $30 a year subscription is just paying for the ability to skip songs backwards essentially.

My Tidal streamed in my home system is >1000 kbps, that would be a significant improvement and maybe with some MCU upgrade in the future it might be possible to stream that someday, until then if you want the best audio in this car you need to play your lossless files from a USB, and hope that eventually it will become more stable in the near future; mine has been getting kicked out over the past month due to the last 2 updates, but it is possible the hotspot for the dash cam has interfered with the flash drive circuit also.

I don't know if it is possible for someone who rooted the car to be able to determine the actual bit rate, but either 128 or 160 it doesn't really make that much difference between the two but I have seen no proof that we can get 320 kbps.

There is literally a setting for it. Changing it to 300kbs though throws an error and it reverts back to 128kbs

slacker.jpg

Oh really?

[email protected]

Did you log into Slacker using your Tesla`s touchscreen?