Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio Tip for New Owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I randomly came across the fact you can get your Slacker account info from another thread...so I'm glad you reposted this for new owners (though perhaps it shouldn't be in the Model S section).

I didn't previously have a Slacker account, so my Tesla one is really all I had. Going online from a PC allowed me to restore a couple of songs my wife accidentally rejected (while trying to hit the "next" button while I drove) from one of the channels she had been customizing.

And I added this account to my Sonos system so I could benefit from the musical preferences I set while on the road when I'm at home. Very cool.

I didn't realize you can up the bitrate. Eager to know if I can hear the difference...

Last edited:
Hi all, I have a solid tip for all of you new or soon to be owners. I emailed [email protected] and asked them for my Slacker Radio username and password, which they quickly replied and provided back to me within a few hours. With that info, I went to the Slacker website on my Mac and logged in, went to account settings, and changed the low quality audio setting to high! Now I have the higher quality 320kbps streaming audio in my car!

Enjoy! ;)
Dude that was an awesome tip...and nice sound quality upgrade to the stock sound system!

Reactions: theslimshadyist
Weird - mine already had the box checked. I thought that they had removed the box w/ 8.0 or something. I did enter the Tesla-provided login info, waited for a few minutes while it thought about it, then had to head off to work w/o it ever really logging in.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
I tried adding songs and it tells me that I need a slacker premium account to do that. So I am not sure if it is supposed to be premium or what. It does say:

You are currently subscribed to Slacker Radio Plus from a gift subscription
Your subscription will expire on 01/01/2018

Wonder if that's what you guys have too.

I randomly came across the fact you can get your Slacker account info from another thread...so I'm glad you reposted this for new owners (though perhaps it shouldn't be in the Model S section).

I didn't previously have a Slacker account, so my Tesla one is really all I had. Going online from a PC allowed me to restore a couple of songs my wife accidentally rejected (while trying to hit the "next" button while I drove) from one of the channels she had been customizing.

And I added this account to my Sonos system so I could benefit from the musical preferences I set while on the road when I'm at home. Very cool.

I didn't realize you can up the bitrate. Eager to know if I can hear the difference...

Funny, I did the same thing and added my Tesla account to my Sonos.

Hey, I'm all for a "sugar pill" mental jedi mind trick. Thanks for bursting our bubbles. :(

Sorry, but you're certainly not alone in thinking the audio quality sounds better after changing the setting. It's really amazing what a placebo can do -- even sometimes curing illnesses. Before it was determined that it wasn't a higher bitrate, I got my slacker info from Tesla and set it to the highest quality and I really thought it sounded better too.

How Well Can You Hear Audio Quality?

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
This is really interesting. I listened to the UHFS twice. The first time I was *really* impressed. The second time I was not as impressed. It really makes me wonder if maybe one of the cars had 320kbps on Slacker and the other did not. In either case I went with the UHFS so I'll know soon enough.

Weird - mine already had the box checked. I thought that they had removed the box w/ 8.0 or something. I did enter the Tesla-provided login info, waited for a few minutes while it thought about it, then had to head off to work w/o it ever really logging in.
Mine did the same. It just sits there and spins without ever actually logging in. It seems to know it's Tesla's own login as well, given the text displayed while the login was in progress.

We know from others on the forum that turning on the 320kbps toggle in the web interface does nothing for the audio in the car because Tesla puts the bitrate in the audio request specifically as a parameter. To make it work you need to log in with the High Quality toggle set. Mine just didn't want to do it.

Tesla provided my user and pw but asked that I not change the pw, claiming in the event I 'forgot' it its easier for them to reset.
Has anyone NOT changed their pw? Its a crazy alpha-numeric that I'll never remember. BTW, I added to Sonos too....first thing I did. :D

Mine did the same. It just sits there and spins without ever actually logging in. It seems to know it's Tesla's own login as well, given the text displayed while the login was in progress.

We know from others on the forum that turning on the 320kbps toggle in the web interface does nothing for the audio in the car because Tesla puts the bitrate in the audio request specifically as a parameter. To make it work you need to log in with the High Quality toggle set. Mine just didn't want to do it.

I'm now having this issue regardless if I select high bitrate or not. Called Tesla support and they had me reset the touch screen, didn't help. They finally escalated to engineering on Sunday but I have yet to hear back. I can no longer login anymore, so frustrating.

Tesla provided my user and pw but asked that I not change the pw, claiming in the event I 'forgot' it its easier for them to reset.
Has anyone NOT changed their pw? Its a crazy alpha-numeric that I'll never remember. BTW, I added to Sonos too....first thing I did. :D

They said the same thing in the email they sent me but I'm going to change my password just so they can't eff with my account! :D