Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio Tip for New Owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably paying for lots of network bandwidth...

Actually, I paid for that in the price of the car. As advertised. Again, you can't take away features already provided without good cause. I am a huge supporter of this company - but if this is changed due to sound packages sold - it does not feel like the same company I support. More importantly, you need to grandfather that in - just like free supercharging.

1. Yes, to the account, but the car does not play at higher bit rate.

2. The car won't play higher bitrate from Slacker, even you use your own premium acct.

I’m late to the party, and I beg to differ. The Model S Owner’s Manual on page 111 states, “To use your own Slacker Plus or Premium account instead...touch Use High Bitrate to stream higher quality sound, and press LOGIN.”

They couldn’t have stated it any more unequivocally than that. This also might be a recent change, since the introduction of 8.0.

Instead of quoting a manual you should provide bandwidth statistics showing the car actually uses a higher bitrate.

Instead of telling me what I should do, YOU should do what the manual says and dig up your own bandwidth statistics.
I was trying to be helpful.

As I said earlier, the ability to actually change the bitrate level might have come with the changes in Version 8.0.

Instead of telling me what I should do, YOU should do what the manual says and dig up your own bandwidth statistics.

We have the statistics:

Slacker Radio (US) Streaming - 320 Kbps Bitrate Support

There is no change in bandwidth unless this is a recent development, which I doubt. Knowing Tesla, I wouldn't trust that entry you reference in the manual which is why he called for a bandwidth test.

Reactions: CmdrThor and Joelc

As I said earlier, the ability to actually change the bitrate level might have come with the changes in Version 8.0.

Or by ordering the UHFS:
IMG_1305.jpg

Sigh. The more I read these forums the more confused I become about what I actually have on my tesla. Even Tesla proclaims that they can't tell me what is on the car until it is at the CS.

Can anyone here please tell me: if I buy a CPO 2013 MS with UHFS option, will it have high bandwidth slacker streaming on by default or not? Or is there some setting that I would have had to set back in 2014 to enable it that Tesla has now removed from the car by software "feature upgrade", thereby rendering the UHFS option actually useless?

I do not understand the deal with Tesla downgrading people's experience in cars via software update. 40kbps?? What planet are we on? If it worked for years before you do not need to subversively remove it with a software "upgrade". The same reason I dread updating android apps is now going to be applied to my car?

Can you guys actually hear the difference?
What is the standard bitrate and codec used?

Coming from a S85D with standard Tesla audio with a Reus upgrade, my new S100D with UHFS logged in to my same premium Slacker account with HI Bitrate checked sounds remarkably better and clearer. I do believe the non HI Bitrate was pretty bad now that we (whole family) has listened to over 5,000 miles worth of Slacker with Hi Bitrate.

I didn't realize how degraded Slacker quality was from when I first took delivery of my S85D and it still had the check box for HI Bitrate and was taken away sometime between 5-2015 and 3-2017 and listening to Hi Bitrate in our UHFS S100D

We have the statistics:

Slacker Radio (US) Streaming - 320 Kbps Bitrate Support

There is no change in bandwidth unless this is a recent development, which I doubt. Knowing Tesla, I wouldn't trust that entry you reference in the manual which is why he called for a bandwidth test.

Perhaps, but, given that was done in 2015 and numerous software updates have happened since then, not to mention that hardware is very likely different in newer cars, as well as the differences between standard and UHFS systems, it seems dubious to rely on this data.

Reactions: Ken7
Slacker hi bit rate quality is mostly lost on my ears, especially in a car at speed.

I have played flac files off a USB stick and can appreciate that sound in a parked car, and can hear a difference.

But with Slacker, when I had the switch for hi or lo bit rate I don't think it made difference to my ears.

Hi all, I have a solid tip for all of you new or soon to be owners. I emailed [email protected] and asked them for my Slacker Radio username and password, which they quickly replied and provided back to me within a few hours. With that info, I went to the Slacker website on my Mac and logged in, went to account settings, and changed the low quality audio setting to high! Now I have the higher quality 320kbps streaming audio in my car!

Enjoy! ;)

There is a caveat to your suggestion. If you drive regularly in an area with less than three bars of LTE reception, you may experience frequent Slacker dropouts. In you are in that situation, it's better to leave Slacker in low-fi mode. By the way, I have also noticed that the free version of Slacker that comes with every new Tesla has an inferior song selection when compared with a paid Slacker account. The range of songs by Bob Dylan, for example, is much more limited on the free version of Slacker.

There is a caveat to your suggestion. If you drive regularly in an area with less than three bars of LTE reception, you may experience frequent Slacker dropouts. In you are in that situation, it's better to leave Slacker in low-fi mode. By the way, I have also noticed that the free version of Slacker that comes with every new Tesla has an inferior song selection when compared with a paid Slacker account. The range of songs by Bob Dylan, for example, is much more limited on the free version of Slacker.

There's a much bigger caveat here. The web interface's setting for audio stream quality does not apply in your car. It's stored in a local cookie on the browser. I have confirmed this fact with slacker support. Logging in in the browser and changing the quality will have NO IMPACT on the bitrate played by your car.

I got my car without the premium audio package because I planned to (and actually did) install a really nice aftermarket system. Shortly after I bought the car, the 8.0 firmware was released, and I lost access to the higher quality audio stream. I'll never forgive Tesla for this. I've complained many times about it because the standard bitrate sounded so bad for a while, and in the end I'm just dealing with the disappointment. Streaming slacker from my phone by bluetooth sounds better than playing it through the built-in car interface.

There's a much bigger caveat here. The web interface's setting for audio stream quality does not apply in your car. It's stored in a local cookie on the browser. I have confirmed this fact with slacker support. Logging in in the browser and changing the quality will have NO IMPACT on the bitrate played by your car.

I got my car without the premium audio package because I planned to (and actually did) install a really nice aftermarket system. Shortly after I bought the car, the 8.0 firmware was released, and I lost access to the higher quality audio stream. I'll never forgive Tesla for this. I've complained many times about it because the standard bitrate sounded so bad for a while, and in the end I'm just dealing with the disappointment. Streaming slacker from my phone by bluetooth sounds better than playing it through the built-in car interface.
What did you install aftermarket?
Unrelated question: If you accidentally "thumb down" a song is there a way to undo that? Either through the car interface or via web?

I installed Focal Expert line speakers (PS 165 F3 and PS 165F) in all the standard positions, added an Expert-series sub (P25F) in the rear diver-side cubby, and added 2 4-channel class D Mosconi amps and a Mosconi 6to8 DSP. The DSP fixes up some of the horror of the low bitrate Slacker feed, but it's like taking a crumpled up piece of paper and trying to make it perfect again. There's only so much a smoothing algorithm can fix.

On the Slacker thing, you can do it through the normal web interface. Log in as the car user (or yourself if using your own account), view the channel you made the mistake on. Somewhere near the bottom of that page there's a list of all the dislikes/blocks. You can undo them from there. AFAIK you can't undo it from in the car UI. I don't think you can do it from the phone apps either.

I installed Focal Expert line speakers (PS 165 F3 and PS 165F) in all the standard positions, added an Expert-series sub (P25F) in the rear diver-side cubby, and added 2 4-channel class D Mosconi amps and a Mosconi 6to8 DSP. The DSP fixes up some of the horror of the low bitrate Slacker feed, but it's like taking a crumpled up piece of paper and trying to make it perfect again. There's only so much a smoothing algorithm can fix.

On the Slacker thing, you can do it through the normal web interface. Log in as the car user (or yourself if using your own account), view the channel you made the mistake on. Somewhere near the bottom of that page there's a list of all the dislikes/blocks. You can undo them from there. AFAIK you can't undo it from in the car UI. I don't think you can do it from the phone apps either.
NICE system. But WOW. You'll be heard miles away in a Tesla. I have the stock system in my S and you can hear everything every beat and lyric the car - and even quiet phone conversations over bluetooth.