Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio (US) Streaming - 320 Kbps Bitrate Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pay for a Premium Account and so just logged in with my own credentials. But I assumed the Tesla account used the same credentials across all cars. Are we saying that each car has it's own unique login and password from Tesla? There is a button on my screen to "Restore" the Tesla account, but the credentials are starred out.
In 2012 the accounts were unique per car. I don't know if that's still the case.

That said, it seems like they must have some degree of different accounts to properly support the + and ignore feature.

Yes.

When I logged into my account, I saw my list of favorites stations and the individual tracks I favorited. I was also able to turn on Headline News for all stations and it took affect. I would hope that another car isn't using the same sets of favorites as me and is now getting the 2 minute headline news every now and then.

Very interesting. I wonder if our account names have a piece of our VIN in it or something like that? And I wonder if all the passwords are the same or also unique to the car. If someone went to the web site and changed their password, the Restore button may no longer work in the car.

Very interesting. I wonder if our account names have a piece of our VIN in it or something like that? And I wonder if all the passwords are the same or also unique to the car. If someone went to the web site and changed their password, the Restore button may no longer work in the car.

If I were the engineer writing this part of the process, this is how I would do it.
- Use a TeslaMotors.com email address for the account login (done)
- Generate a random password for the account (looks like it)
- Develop a lookup table between vehicle VIN and account credentials
- Set up a process so a "forgot my password" reset at Slacker could be scripted/automated by Tesla's systems and provide a new random password get also gets stored in the lookup system
- Have "Restore Account" in the vehicle trigger a Slacker reset password

Why all the "complexity"? Well, if someone changes the password, resetting the lookup links is all automated, that's why :) Also, if an account is ever "compromised", this process lets the password get reset right away.

Note, this is simply one way it could have been done and may not be the way Tesla did it. I have no inside knowledge.

It does seem to take longer to buffer.

I can confirm a longer buffering time at 320 Kbps as well. I haven't been able to test whether there's any speed improvement in buffering by connecting to a 4G mobile hotspot over the Tesla in car 3G and it wouldn't be a fair comparison on my end because, aside from the fact that coverage and signal strength differs between 3G and 4G, my hotspot is on Verizon while the Tesla is on AT&T so it would be totally separate networks.

It does seem logical that buffering speed would be markedly improved over 4G though.

I thought this all mattered to me until I took this audio test:

How Well Can You Hear Audio Quality? : The Record : NPR

Turns out I picked the 128 as often as I picked the FLAC.

One thing to keep in mind is that Tesla does heavy sound processing on the input data, and we don't have the details on how it interprets the source material. Thus, you really need a comparison over Tesla's sound system to be able to compare between them. Normally, I would say Slacker 160 Kbps vs 320 Kbps would probably not be noticeable over road noise without a very good aftermarket system. But then, Tesla's sound processor really interferes with a "quality" output if the source material is missing certain details. At least, this is my best guess! :)

I have premium sound. Slacker on the standard quality is horrible. It's painful to listen to music that way so I ended up using Spotify Premium on extreme quality. I am pretty sure a 3G connection cannot do 320 kbps because on Spotify, whenever my iPhone is only on 3G (this happens when 4G drops out in spots), the music just goes intermittent.

- K

I have premium sound. Slacker on the standard quality is horrible. It's painful to listen to music that way so I ended up using Spotify Premium on extreme quality. I am pretty sure a 3G connection cannot do 320 kbps because on Spotify, whenever my iPhone is only on 3G (this happens when 4G drops out in spots), the music just goes intermittent.

- K

All I can say is my 3G standard sound car distinctly sounds different/better/fuller with 320 Kbps enabled vs. disabled.

I thought this all mattered to me until I took this audio test:

How Well Can You Hear Audio Quality? : The Record : NPR

Turns out I picked the 128 as often as I picked the FLAC.

I picked the uncompressed sample in 4 of the 6 tests, but it was blind (deaf?) luck honestly. I couldn't hear a difference between any of them, except in one test where I thought I could detect the 128k sample. Even that one didn't sound worse than the other two, just slightly different. Also I could tell one sample was uncompressed because it was stuttering :)

Do we know that both the iPhone and Tesla support speeds as high as 320kbps? If you look at this doc: https://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/BluetoothDesignGuidelines.pdf, you will see in Table 2-2 on page 16 it lists a bit rate of 264,630 bps. Is that the maximum? That doc is 1.5 years old but there doesn't appear to be a newer version.

And 3G should be able to do 320kbps but this may depend on your carrier and city.

I upgraded my Slacker online today to the 320Kbps rate. When I went to update the Media Apps in the car I found Slacker toggled down to the Good vs Best Audio quality. Once I fixed that and logged into my personal slacker account I noticed a huge difference. Once my wife gets home I have to update her car too... can't believe I never found this setting before!!!!!! I have been driving around since 2013 with my premium sound system in the "standard definition" mode verses "best" and have been punishing my ears with the XM like poor quality of "good" vs "best" slacker -- aaauuugggggkkkk

I wonder if the system is actually streaming 320 Kbps to the car or is it limited to 160 Kbps (Tesla Best Mode in the App) any way I can test it?

I am using Tesla's account on my car, not my own login. Getting the userID and password from Tesla and enabling 320 Kbps on my car made a night and day difference. It definitely made a significant improvement even if it isn't using the full 320 Kbps. And prior to changing the setting on my account, I was on Best.

I wonder if the system is actually streaming 320 Kbps to the car or is it limited to 160 Kbps (Tesla Best Mode in the App) any way I can test it?
Record a sample from the car and then record a sample that you know is definitely using the 320kbps and then see if you can tell the difference. If you had access to an oscilloscope that might help as well. Maybe there is even some software that can analyze a music sample and can tell what bitrate is was recorded with.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the other way is to toggle the 320 on and off and time how long it takes to download songs which you can see with the buffering bar on the car's screens.

Here is one more vote for 'can tell difference'
The background - wife's car sounded better than mine, little better bass, little crisper highs. Just figured it was in my head or maybe all the extra stuff she carries in the car affected the acoustics :).
Put in the account info for both - my 'maximum audio quality' was set to off and her's was set to on.