Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker server connectivity lost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS no longer can connect to the Slacker server. I just get the spinning dial. I tried rebooting and a potential work around suggested by ownership. I spoke with a Slacker rep who said there's no server problem. My Tesla service rep contacted a Tesla software engineer who was unable to solve by remote. I also tried my secondary personal Slacker login and password (which works on my iPhone), to no avail. I don't like using Slacker via bluetooth (stays on when on a phone call, doesn't allow "favorites," and doesn't have album art). My service rep said that another car in his coverage region also came in yesterday with the same issue. The three people I spoke to yesterday were great. They acted like this was a big deal instead of the minor irritation that it is. Still, they can't figure it out. Has anyone else had this happen and get resolved? I've become a Slacker addict...must...have...it...back...!

My guess is the account expired.

A few weeks ago I decided to dump Pandora and get Slacker Premium. A few days after that, I tied the Slacker Premium account to the car (just log in with the premium account in the settings page for the car). Just hopped in the car a few minutes ago and everything is working as expected including my custom channels and playlists.

So it isn't Slacker being down, it must be an expired account.

My guess is the account expired.

A few weeks ago I decided to dump Pandora and get Slacker Premium. A few days after that, I tied the Slacker Premium account to the car (just log in with the premium account in the settings page for the car). Just hopped in the car a few minutes ago and everything is working as expected including my custom channels and playlists.

So it isn't Slacker being down, it must be an expired account.

I have the same problem. My username and password do not show expired when I log in via the web.
So much for my theory then. Perhaps a certain class of account or certain areas of the country?

I'm on 4.3. I just received an email from my service rep. He had another car today with the same problem. Tesla software engineers are working on it.

I tried my personal account (works from my phone and iPad). It's not an account expiration issue, but good thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla provided me with my Slacker password. I used my Tesla account login on my iPad and it works fine. I suggested they uninstall and reinstall Slacker in the car. Maybe the program has been corrupted. We'll see if they agree and comply. I'm not a software guy!

...and it appears the issue is somewhere in AT&T.

Using my cellphone on Wi-Fi at my house, I can get to Slacker to work just fine. If I turn Wi-Fi off, Slacker gives me an IO exception and can't tune a station. That would point to a commonality to both my cellphone and my car -- AT&T.

...and it appears the issue is somewhere in AT&T.

Using my cellphone on Wi-Fi at my house, I can get to Slacker to work just fine. If I turn Wi-Fi off, Slacker gives me an IO exception and can't tune a station. That would point to a commonality to both my cellphone and my car -- AT&T.

Hmm, interesting finding FlasherZ. As you probably know, I spoke with our local service manager because I had the same exact issue and he had no clear idea of what happened. Usually I can identify the "change" that was temporally associated with a malfunction like this, but I was not able to identify anything. The AT&T theory is interesting. It is also somewhat concerning since it might indicate that AT&T may not be providing a dumb pipe to the internet, but has installed some sort of screening process in the mix. Maybe the Slacker credentialing process got caught up in that somehow. However, the geographic regionalization is also mighty peculiar. If I am not mistaken, think this is only affecting midwest region folks.

Hmm, interesting finding FlasherZ. As you probably know, I spoke with our local service manager because I had the same exact issue and he had no clear idea of what happened. Usually I can identify the "change" that was temporally associated with a malfunction like this, but I was not able to identify anything. The AT&T theory is interesting. It is also somewhat concerning since it might indicate that AT&T may not be providing a dumb pipe to the internet, but has installed some sort of screening process in the mix. Maybe the Slacker credentialing process got caught up in that somehow. However, the geographic regionalization is also mighty peculiar. If I am not mistaken, think this is only affecting STL region folks.

Yes, it's likely an STL gateway problem. I'm also going to call AT&T to report a problem as well, since my cellphone fails in the same way.

The cellular network uses gateways that provide some sort of filtering/acceleration.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, called AT&T.

Known problem in Kansas, St. Louis / Southern IL, and Indiana. Affects a handful of applications (eBay, Slacker, and Best Buy, among others), it's being worked.

If anyone has contacts to AT&T wireless internet gateway type techies, I can help them with information and they can help me by fixing it. PM me and I can help, my background is rather heavy in IP networking. :)

Last edited:
Mine stopped working yesterday.....Today Slacker and Tune In dont work.....When I go to the settings screen it says I am NOT logged in, so I hit LOGIN, and says ERROR LOGGING IN. I also got the 4.4 update this morning and updated but still NO SLACKER or TUNEIN. Web is fine, Google Maps is fine, Remote App is fine. Must be some ATT streaming issue like others have said.

Sounds like we're getting close to the bottom of this (hopefully!). This morning, my bluetooth music streaming stopped functioning, as well. My iPhone otherwise works fine with the car (able to make and receive calls). Can anybody explain a reasonable connection to these two problems (Slacker and bluetooth streaming)? I can't handle XM radio...addicted to Slacker! By the way, TuneIn radio works in my car...just not Slacker and bluetooth. Reboots haven't helped with either issue.

If anyone has contacts to AT&T wireless internet gateway type techies, I can help them with information and they can help me by fixing it. PM me and I can help, my background is rather heavy in IP networking. :)

I reached out to some folks, and whether they helped or not, eBay, Slacker, and the other apps started working when I tried at 11:30 am CT. So, give it a try!

Just got off the phone with Tesla and she gave me a different login for slacker than what was there. Logged in and works fine. Very strange. What also stinks is that it must of been someone elses account as the likes where not mine. I had to delete them. Thank god the MS has history to go back and save them again. As far as Tunein, when I logged out it let me log back in and worked. Slacker gave me an error when trying to log in with the slacker email and pw that came with my MS. On a side note, when your on a slacker station and like, or dislike the song does it actually create that station?