Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow puncture

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a slow puncture (M3LR). In anticipation of just such an event, 18 months back, before I picked up the car, I bought a set of the rubber jack bungs from China, put them somewhere and I've never sewn them since. Tomorrow I will empty the garage shelves but that garage is a cousin to the Bermuda Triangle.

My question is - can I rely on Kwik Fit having the 'right' kit? Anything else I should factor in?

Just a heads up... last year I had a slow puncture to the rear passenger tire, but it was during a really bad week-long snow storm... so I just added air daily and delayed having it taken care of. I was only driving a few miles a day, so didn't think much of it.

That was a mistake... driving on that tire with low pressure ate it alive. I ended up replacing all 4 tires since the rest were down half way.

Good luck!

Reactions: Forty_Two
I have a slow puncture (M3LR). In anticipation of just such an event, 18 months back, before I picked up the car, I bought a set of the rubber jack bungs from China, put them somewhere and I've never sewn them since. Tomorrow I will empty the garage shelves but that garage is a cousin to the Bermuda Triangle.

My question is - can I rely on Kwik Fit having the 'right' kit? Anything else I should factor in?
My local Kwik Fit told me that they've all go the jack plugs and most have the low profile jacks. You could always phone them to check.

I was unlucky with several punctures due to screws and ruptures due to potholes with my last car and I had to replaced 4 times. All were done at a local KwikFit without any problems. The guys were familiar with Tesla requirements, but the quality of the fit depended on their individual skills. What was disappointing is that Tesla tyres are noise-reduction ones and cannot be repaired. So even a one week old tyre with a small slow puncture needs to be replaced completely costing £300+ each.

What was disappointing is that Tesla tyres are noise-reduction ones and cannot be repaired. So even a one week old tyre with a small slow puncture needs to be replaced completely costing £300+ each.

I've heard this said before, but don't believe it's true. One just has to tear some of the noise-reduction foam out of the tire where the puncture is, then proceed as normal. There are photos of this in various posts on the forums.

Tesla tyres can be repaired for punctures as I had one repaired just a few weeks ago. They remove the foam to patch the tyre and then restick the foam back in place. As long as the object, often a screw, isn’t too near the edge of the tyre it should be repairable.
True, they can be. Sadly, many tyre places refuse to do so as it is more time-consuming than a regular tyre (but claim they can't be repaired).

True, they can be. Sadly, many tyre places refuse to do so as it is more time-consuming than a regular tyre (but claim they can't be repaired).
This was exactly my experience with the local Kwik Fit when I challenged them in a case of a tiny slow puncture hole in a brand new tyre that I replaced just a week before (what a bad luck!). They categorically refused saying it cannot be repaired due to the foam inside. I wish we had this threat discussion earlier!

I had the puncture repaired at Kwik Fit. Whilst I was sat there wondering what would I do if I had a puncture on route somewhere and flicking though the app on my phone at the bottom I saw Roadside' and clicking that I saw the option 'Flat Tire' . . . what happens if I tap on that?

bottom I saw Roadside' and clicking that I saw the option 'Flat Tire' . . . what happens if I tap on that?
If you are within 50 miles of a service centre and it’s working hours they will probably bring you a spare and take your flat one to nearest service centre for you to have repaired at your expense at Tesla rate. If you are too far away or not working times (as I was, non working day), you will be out of luck.

Info on Tesla website.

So what is Plan A; what is the best plan . . . . you are 100 miles from home, on route from A to B, the tyre is flat - what do you do?
There is a thread with lots of information. As part of the thread I’ve added a little quick guide of what to do in case of a flat.

Few more things I found helpful:
- Anything less than 50miles ask them to move the vehicle home - trust me learnt my lessons. But other logistics need to be sorted out including work arrangement, WFH, second car etc.,
- Kwikfit mobile service fixed mine the next day - fortunately all their vehicles now come with pucks (according to the kwikfit man and they are aware of the torque setting etc., - the man was familiar with Tesla and he even asked me to switch off the tilt alarm etc.,). However, this may not be available in rural parts of the country and overnights etc., So spare tire is a good option.
- I got the Michelin PS the next day, but I understand I may not be lucky next time.
- Yes, having AA, RAC is helpful but sometime basic membership may not be that helpful - if you have the option to move the car to the garage you wanted etc., it will be very useful if you are more than 50miles away from home - availability of tires is a real issue, so a spare tyre is very handy.
- Flat tyre is a pain even in ICE cars if you are averse to some manual labour like me!

There is a thread available with lots of information.

Last edited:
Hmmmm - it must be there for a reason = I will call Tesla tomorrow and ask
I have just called Tesla (I've been busy) . . . . Question: "If I have a puncture and I press on that Roadside Assistance/Flat Tire option on the app - what happens?" - they told me that whilst the car is in warranty (4 years) someone will come (24/7) with flat back and take me somewhere (Kwik Fit) within 50 miles. (I have to admit that I did not know my car had a 4 year warranty (happy with that))

Reactions: SergeyP