Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slowing down for stop sign visually or GPS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is new... I've been trying autopilot on roads I don't normally use it on after the latest update. Now I see it drastically slowing down on T Junctions with stop signs. So is this new? I'd have to imagine it recognizes the signs even if it takes no action, but this slowing down might be the precursor to sign detection or it's using GPS to no run me full speed through the nunction. Fun and exciting either way!

• Informative
Reactions: croman
First of all - please don't film while driving. Very unsafe.

Second - I am not sure this is either stop sign or GPS detection. I think this is more of the cameras losing sight of the lane markers (since they don't extend past the T intersection) and the car slowing down until it can find them again. Or in this case, disabling AP when it can't.

First of all - please don't film while driving. Very unsafe.

Second - I am not sure this is either stop sign or GPS detection. I think this is more of the cameras losing sight of the lane markers (since they don't extend past the T intersection) and the car slowing down until it can find them again. Or in this case, disabling AP when it can't.
That can't be as I've had autopilot drive for a mile without lane markings without slowing down.

So this is new... I've been trying autopilot on roads I don't normally use it on after the latest update. Now I see it drastically slowing down on T Junctions with stop signs. So is this new? I'd have to imagine it recognizes the signs even if it takes no action, but this slowing down might be the precursor to sign detection or it's using GPS to no run me full speed through the nunction. Fun and exciting either way!
I saw a similar thing posted here ages ago. A couple of theories were floated out at that time, including that the radar was picking up the double-arrow sign at the T-junction. I've also had AP slow for tight turns, so it may be slowing for a similar map-based reason as well.

Reactions: fasteddie7
I saw a similar thing posted here ages ago. A couple of theories were floated out at that time, including that the radar was picking up the double-arrow sign at the T-junction. I've also had AP slow for tight turns, so it may be slowing for a similar map-based reason as well.
I’d imagine the map based slowing down is happening and visual conformation will bring it to a complete stop when the switch is flipped in a future update. I’m with you on the tight turns, though my experience is that it slows but still crosses the line even though it clearly “sees” it according to the display.

From the test case, I lean toward it decelerating due to no speed data (or no road) available past the junction.

Neither.

But when the cars finally do both recognize and react to stop signs, it would be nice if the cars did so with both camera (AP1) and GPS backup (AP3?), avoiding reliance upon extensively bad data (AP2).

Imagine approaching a stop sign while in the leftmost lane of, on your side, a 3-lane road (7 lanes altogether including a turn lane). And there are 2 large trucks in the leftmost lane, blocking camera view of the stop sign.

Neither.

But when the cars finally do both recognize and react to stop signs, it would be nice if the cars did so with both camera (AP1) and GPS backup (AP3?), avoiding reliance upon extensively bad data (AP2).

Imagine approaching a stop sign while in the leftmost lane of, on your side, a 3-lane road (7 lanes altogether including a turn lane). And there are 2 large trucks in the leftmost lane, blocking camera view of the stop sign.

Is there a stop line? ;) (in places that that setup, I've seen stop signs on both side of the road).

Ok, now imagine your are approaching a tri-color light intersection and you are behind a semi, so you can't see the light if you are a within 150 feet of the semi. What does AP do? What if there is also a pedestrian crossing light (walk/ don't walk) you can see?

Until (if ever) FSD works, all I want AP to do with stop signs and traffic signals would be to just present a warning, similar to the forward collision warning, but *not* brake. I'd love to have the warning, but braking that's less than 99.99% reliable would be really bad.

Neither.

Right. I’d imagine gps data would have to be included, as there are pleanty of stop signs around here partially covered by tree branches and some are bent or tilted so far one way that you could mistake it for pointing the other way for cross traffic.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Ive noticed my car doing this recently as well, though it seem *sugar* or miss, at the exact same spot. Its a T intersection with a stop sign, sometimes the car will slow on its own from 40 MPH to around 25MPH before I have to take over, otherwise it seems it would just keep rolling on at 40 MPH right through the stop sign and intersection if I dont take over.

Ive noticed my car doing this recently as well, though it seem *sugar* or miss, at the exact same spot. Its a T intersection with a stop sign, sometimes the car will slow on its own from 40 MPH to around 25MPH before I have to take over, otherwise it seems it would just keep rolling on at 40 MPH right through the stop sign and intersection if I dont take over.
I've gone to the same spot three times, does it every time. I'm heading out to look for other intersections like it to see if the behavior continues.

I mean, I got my car to turn at a couple intersections (Ts) with dashed turn lines. On the latest firmware, though, it will not turn (red hands-immediate take over). So they are definitely playing with stuff but its not reliable nor is it intended to be used like that.

I mean, I got my car to turn at a couple intersections (Ts) with dashed turn lines. On the latest firmware, though, it will not turn (red hands-immediate take over). So they are definitely playing with stuff but its not reliable nor is it intended to be used like that.
As much as I want to believe autopilot can do it, it seems like pure luck when it does something cool, and to this day still looks like highway driving is the only thing it’s indended for.

I have found at T-intersections my AP2 car will recognize that the road ends, at least visually on the IC, the blue lines denoting lane lines are short, ending at the front of the “car”. On previous firmwares, those blue lines would have extended into the distance and the car probably would have just charged ahead.

That said, the car now only slightly slows down but throws up the red hands warning. I think it is certainly recognizing the road ends and sqwauks to make you take over, at least at the two intersections I frequent.

Just noticed my ap1 MS doing the same thing. I'm going to have to test out other locations. it doesnt seem like it would come to a stop but its definitely slowing down coming to a tee intersection. i guarantee it did not do this 6 months ago. ( two updates?). So... AP1 is being changed somewhat?