Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Air suspension confirmed for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there other benefits of air suspension besides being able to adjust the clearance height? Is there any impact on tire wear?
Will potentially increase tire wear if run at lower setting than normal frequently. It will add more camber angle so the tire insides will typically wear faster. Using normal setting should have no real benefit or negative impact on tire wear.

Given the choice, I would get coils. Less issues long term, etc. I havent seen that much of a benefit to air to choose it.

I realy am interested in the Long Term issues. I know that Audi Allroad had adjustable air suspension that people loved, but it was always a huge headach in repair issues and COSTS! What are the MS Feedback on repair costs for the smart air suspension? I guess if all high end cards go smart air, then they should learn how to make it last a long time.

Air line failure is a failure of the tubing which connects the air bags or struts to the rest of the air system, and is typically DOT-approved nylon air brake line. This usually occurs when the air lines, which must be routed to the air bags through the chassis of the vehicle, rub against a sharp edge of a chassis member or a moving suspension component, causing a hole to form. This mode of failure will typically take some time to occur after the initial installation of the system, as the integrity of a section of air line is compromised to the point of failure due to the rubbing and resultant abrasion of the material. An air-line failure may also occur if a piece of road debris hits an air line and punctures or tears it, although this is unlikely to occur in normal road use. It does occur in harsh off-road conditions but it still not common if correctly installed.

This is what happened in our Model S at just before the 3 year mark. I was very happy it was under warranty. They replaced the air line between the reservoir and compressor on our car. Took 6 days.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I realy am interested in the Long Term issues. I know that Audi Allroad had adjustable air suspension that people loved, but it was always a huge headach in repair issues and COSTS! What are the MS Feedback on repair costs for the smart air suspension? I guess if all high end cards go smart air, then they should learn how to make it last a long time.

I haven't heard of any large scale complaints about the Tesla air susoension and repairs, but my understanding of other manufacturers who have them is problems don't crop up until after the warranty periods on older cars, and the oldest S's are only 5 years old, so I don't think we have seen how well they hold up long term.

People are talking about clearance.. how much added clearance will it have compared with coil? Where is coil height within the range of SAS? Right in the middle, or at the bottom of it?
On the MS there are four settings. 'Standard' is #3 of four. 'High' is #4 of four. It appears there is about ~3/4" more height between #3 and #4 settings. MS owners, correct me if I am wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
So living in north country, I'd gain 3/4" above standard clearance? That's definitely not worth getting if that's the case.
Yeah, I think you really need to check the specifications for SAS before presuming anything. For my needs, that 3/4" additional height is very important to clear a difficult driveway. No, I can't change the driveway because the standards are mandated by local ordinance to mitigate potential flooding.

So living in north country, I'd gain 3/4" above standard clearance? That's definitely not worth getting if that's the case.

From Q: What are the ride heights for coil and air suspension? - Tesla Motors Wiki , High 2 is 1.3 inches above coil. But I'm not sure if that is compared to unloaded, partly loaded, or fully loaded coil. An air suspension provides the same height regardless of load, whereas the coil ride height lowers based on weight. With a full load of people, air will ride higher with overall effect dependent on coil spring rate.

If lowered by 1 inch, will that lead to less drag on the freeway?

Should. Unlike streamliners, traditional sedan shapes generally have less taper on the underside and benefit from directing more air over the top of the vehicle (that is, a lower ride height). For them, the underbody portion of the drag (~20%) has a significant correlation with ride height for most practical ride heights.

Last edited:
If the air suspension was free, few would opt for the coils, as there is additional comfort and functionality with the air ride.

Answering the question, "is it worth it" will not be answered until the cost is know.

On my X it has been beneficial as it levels the load when I have passengers or cargo. Keeps the headlights pointed straight down the road. Occasionally I need to raise it up for additional clearance, lowering it to make washing the roof easier and things like that.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51 and tony b