Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon not working, anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah it is also occurring to my DEC 2016 Model S 75D with full self driving. If I turn off sentry mode then it works fine. I have been talking to service center about it and they pushed me to 2022.20.7 (which added colorizer), but summon still broke if sentry mode is on. Right now sitting here downloading a new 2022.28-14046 Navigation Data Update, perhaps that fixes it?

Yeah it is also occurring to my DEC 2016 Model S 75D with full self driving. If I turn off sentry mode then it works fine. I have been talking to service center about it and they pushed me to 2022.20.7 (which added colorizer), but summon still broke if sentry mode is on. Right now sitting here downloading a new 2022.28-14046 Navigation Data Update, perhaps that fixes it?
Still broken unless you turn off sentry mode. :(

i’ve had that flashing error problem for a couple months now and figured out the majority of these workarounds through trial and error, too. disappointed it hasn’t been fixed despite numerous app and vehicle firmware updates since the problem started. disappointed about a lot of other things I keep trying to report to tesla too, extremely satisfied with the car. it’s miles beyond any other offerings out there and is my favorite material object i’ve ever owned, but there is a ton of room for improvement in so many areas and a lot of stuff keeps getting broken or, worse, updated to something worse that what it’s replacing. a little over 3 years in and this “downgrade” scenario has been accelerating recently after at least the first 1.5 or more years of huge improvements all the time with minimal breakage/downgrading. tighten up! Tesla will continue to be insulated by their first-mover advantage and the strengtg of the core competencies they’ve developed for at least a couple more years, but it won’t last forever and I wanna see the company succeed long-term!

2017 X with mcu2, upgraded cameras & active FSD.
Most of the time smart summon fails with “Vision system temporarily degraded”.
Turning off sentry then turning it back on, sometimes clears this error & subsequently smart summon functions for a period.

Haven't used it much at all, but I do get the "vision system degraded" and "summon unavailable" (or whatever the wording is errors alternating rapidly, like multiple times a second. I found that if I move it forward/back for even half a second, then it'll stop and smart summon will work.

Haven't tried turning sentry off but I'll try it.

My experience as of this morning:
1. Sentry is on, smart summon not working.
2. Turn off Sentry, no change.
3. Turn off Sentry, Unlock/lock doors, works as designed.
4. Lastly, turn Sentry back on and it continues to work for a few minutes more, then fails again.

Repeating step 3 always works for me.

Because it is a Sentry issue, it may be worth noting that I have replace the Tesla flash drive with a SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 500GB.

Reactions: simpsonhomer
I've been using a similar drive (older Samsung T5 500GB) for years (if that matters).

I used to get the "vision system temporarily degraded" message flashing on/off but turning off Sentry Mode would be a reliable workaround (2022.20.8). Current app / firmware that I'm on (2022.20.18) still shows the same "vision system temporarily degraded" error but it's grayed out instead of flashing...and turning off Sentry Mode rarely fixes it.

I included it in my problem list the last time I dropped off my car at Tesla service, but they said it was a software issue and there was nothing they could do (FWIW).

My experience as of this morning:
1. Sentry is on, smart summon not working.
2. Turn off Sentry, no change.
3. Turn off Sentry, Unlock/lock doors, works as designed.
4. Lastly, turn Sentry back on and it continues to work for a few minutes more, then fails again.

Repeating step 3 always works for me.

Because it is a Sentry issue, it may be worth noting that I have replace the Tesla flash drive with a SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 500GB.
Tried step 3 twice, then works for me.

Smart Summon has not worked on my refreshed Model S since I took delivery a few months ago. On the app it give the error message "Vision System Temporarily Degraded" or "Cannot Use in Current Location". I brought it to Tesla Service and they had no cure. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone find a fix?
I have been having the same problem since last summer. I’ve set up an appointment with Tesla and they told me that they see problem with the car after running a diagnostic.

We’ve been using Smart Summon to shoehorn our 2020 MY into our garage every day for the past 3 1/2 years, and we’ve gotten used to it’s glitchy behavior. It has generally worked pretty well for us most of the time. It seems that since December 2023, it has gotten noticeably worse, almost unusable, it seems. We’ll try killing Sentry to see if it helps.