Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly stinky socks / mold in Model 3 AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I missed my update but everything is working fine since the deodorizing and change in how I operate my climate control.
I use automatic mode but check to see the recirculating is not engaged as it tends to engage once in a while.
If it has been running on recirc I run it a few minutes with outside air before I leave the vehicle.
Still odor free

My version, which I thought all were the same, the soft rubber gasket has to be slid along each piece installed,
4 or 5 hard plastic pieces snap in
The soft piece has to be run the entire 5-6 foot length
It’s worth it, just saying give time, so slow

A poster above said...
"With the new seal put in place it won't suck in air from the top anymore, I think it would get it from other openings? Maybe that's why Tesla didn't run the seal all the way"

My question to you is...
Have you noticed any lack of or diminished air coming through the vents after installing your kit?

Reactions: Flybyglass
Here is what I installed
1699840703232.png

It went onto a brand new model Y
I don’t think it’s related to damp or musty smell inside the cablin
I never had smell nor any smell ever
I only stalled as it was suggested to prevent dust and debris

Thanks for the heads up

I will go slow to make sure it's correct and works
tip from my experience, When installing either the left or right plastic trim, make sure the middle piece is semi attached to one of the sides as you do so. Otherwise the middle trim cant fit underneath the side trim after the fact because the side trim that you choose to install first will sit too flush against the hood. Notice how the side trim goes on top of the middle trim. Might've been an issue with my particular kit (i got it for $10).

tip from my experience, When installing either the left or right plastic trim, make sure the middle piece is semi attached to one of the sides as you do so. Otherwise the middle trim cant fit underneath the side trim after the fact because the side trim that you choose to install first will sit too flush against the hood. Notice how the side trim goes on top of the middle trim. Might've been an issue with my particular kit (i got it for $10).
I installed mine yesterday and I discovered this too. And then the gasket was very difficult to put into bracket. I tried soapy water but it didn't help. There must be a trick to this that I don't know.

As for the seal, it isn't going to be airtight. It is more to stop excessive water from getting in. It is sealing up against a plastic piece that is itself sort of flexy.

Reactions: kpanda17
I installed mine yesterday and I discovered this too. And then the gasket was very difficult to put into bracket. I tried soapy water but it didn't help. There must be a trick to this that I don't know.

As for the seal, it isn't going to be airtight. It is more to stop excessive water from getting in. It is sealing up against a plastic piece that is itself sort of flexy.
once u get it started u gotta start doing like a Push/pull. push it from the entry point until it kinda sticks and doesn't want to move anymore and pull it from the tip of the gasket until that starts to stop moving as well then repeat. It wasn't too bad, just gotta use some strength

Reactions: BeeGood

$10? that's one heck of a buy. I ordered mine for $23, RPM Tesla has theirs for $38