Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly stinky socks / mold in Model 3 AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!
I have replaced and cleaned out the filters twice now and the terrible smell is back within 1-2 weeks.
I have done the burn out method too to try to burn the bacteria out - worked for 1 day.

Someone please help me get to the bottom of this. (Model Y)
You have to clean the air ducts from and to the evaporator/filter box. Also, don't forget to clean the evaporator coils.

Hello!
I have replaced and cleaned out the filters twice now and the terrible smell is back within 1-2 weeks.
I have done the burn out method too to try to burn the bacteria out - worked for 1 day.

Someone please help me get to the bottom of this. (Model Y)
Are you really in the Cayman Islands? The humidity there might explain it.

But you need to spray a lot of the coil cleaner and then turn on the system to suck it through.

Reactions: nate704
Are you really in the Cayman Islands? The humidity there might explain it.

But you need to spray a lot of the coil cleaner and then turn on the system to suck it through.
With filters (the small ones not the HEPA big ones) I use 2 cans of KLIMA. The cans are large so use it all. Follow directions on timing and running system to vent. No odor doing that. I repeat every 6 months in high humidity.

I am in the Philly area, cars are parked in my garage, with periods of high humidity.
Model 3 2020
Model Y 2021 with biodefense/HEPA

For both cars, I've had to clean coils and replace filters every 6 months, around March and Sep. (What a pain!!! I hate it that Tesla does not acknowledge the issue and provides a permanent solution.) I stopped using the original Tesla filters as I could not see any advantage in performance or recurrence of the odor. I now use EPAuto from Amazon which works well and costs less.

I've used Klima for most cleaning cycles, as they claim to use non-toxic chemicals, but over the last few months I could not get rid of the smell in my Model Y, even though I did a cleaning cycle in June and then in July again. The smell was REALLY awful when it rained outside. Here is what I just did:
  • I replaced the frunk carbon/HEPA filters. One of the carbon filters had a faint smell! There were also a few dry leaves and the filters were a little dirty. I used the BASENOR set from Amazon for about $60 - much less than OEM, which fit very well. I have not noticed any performance difference with this new filter (nor I care about true HEPA filtration.)
  • I decided to use KoolIT this time. Also before the cleaning, I ran the AC on high for a few minutes, waiting for a lot of water to come out of the drain. My assumption was that if the drip pan is wet, it may help spread the cleaning solution better (not sure.) Then I followed the instructions (apply, wait 15 min, fan on low without AC for 5+ min)
Problem finally solved. I am not sure if it's just the time of year though, as it gets cooler and less humid here in Philly.

Last edited:
I am in the Philly area, cars are parked in my garage, with periods of high humidity.
Model 3 2020
Model Y 2021 with biodefense/HEPA

For both cars, I've had to clean coils and replace filters every 6 months, around March and Sep. (What a pain!!! I hate it that Tesla does not acknowledge the issue and provides a permanent solution.) I stopped using the original Tesla filters as I could not see any advantage in performance or recurrence of the odor. I now use EPAuto from Amazon which works well and costs less.

I've used Klima for most cleaning cycles, as they claim to use non-toxic chemicals, but over the last few months I could not get rid of the smell in my Model Y, even though I did a cleaning cycle in June and then in July again. The smell was REALLY awful when it rained outside. Here is what I just did:
  • I replaced the frunk carbon/HEPA filters. One of the carbon filters had a faint smell! I used the BASENOR set from Amazon for about $60 - much less than OEM, which fit very well. I have not noticed any performance difference with this new filter (nor I care about true HEPA filtration.)
  • I decided to use KoolIT this time. Also I ran the AC on high for a few minutes, waiting for a lot of water to come out of the drain. My assumption was that if the drip pan is wet, it may help spread the cleaning solution better (not sure.)
Problem finally solved. I am not sure if it's just the time of year though, as it gets cooler and less humid here in Philly.
I use 2 cans Klima and follow the directions for running system. I keep record and AC off while running just using fan to push foam into coils.

I came across this video in my recommends that suggested that the vent drain system may be pulling in water (when fan is on 10) and cause the filters to be wet and that may be the cause of the smell, although that clearly is not the case for many here.

But I still wanted to post it in case it might be the issue for some people.

I like this mod. However, I have a hood seal installed and with the rain deflector there is no clear path for air to get to vent intake. Record. while raining could be a work around after seeing video.

I came across this video in my recommends that suggested that the vent drain system may be pulling in water (when fan is on 10) and cause the filters to be wet and that may be the cause of the smell, although that clearly is not the case for many here.

This video just appeared in my YT feed as well. He is very thorough in his explanation. I figure the aftermarket gasket can't hurt so I've already ordered it. My one piece of skepticism is that when I pulled my old filters they didn't really smell. And others have said that as well. If it were the filters replacing them would help but most people say it doesn't and it requires the coil cleaner to actually remove the smell.

This video just appeared in my YT feed as well. He is very thorough in his explanation. I figure the aftermarket gasket can't hurt so I've already ordered it. My one piece of skepticism is that when I pulled my old filters they didn't really smell. And others have said that as well. If it were the filters replacing them would help but most people say it doesn't and it requires the coil cleaner to actually remove the smell.
exactly this.

if the filters would get soaking wet and moldy... the filters would smell and merely replacing them would fix the issue but as others have stated it doesnt really fix the issue for more than a few weeks/ months.

Reactions: enemji and XPsionic
The smell in the car is kind of overwhelming and if it were the filters they'd stink too, but they didn't. It likely is moisture related though so keeping the moisture out will help. I think both the filters and the coils get moisture and mold buildup, so changing the filter and cleaning the coils solves the problem and the gasket will prevent it.

Reactions: XPsionic
I have rubber trim around my hood for noise reduction. Looking at it in order for the AC to get air I would need to remove some or all. Otherwise with the water seal and noise trim hard for air to get to intake.

Work Around:
Wipers On - Recirculate On (closes the diverter door in the video)
Wipers Off - Recirculate Off. Fresh air slows molds forming.

Reactions: enemji

This video confirmed my theory back in 2021, when I took delivery of my MYP. Going to try the rubber gasket to see if it will help.

I agree with the other posters saying their filters don't smell. None of mine have either but it still stinks. Another flaw with his theory is model ys with the HEPA filters also smell, and I don't think water can get by those filters.

I'm not convinced this is the root cause of this issue. He did put a lot of effort into his video, though.