Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smoking At The Superchargers? Yes Or No

Should it be okay to setup a camping chair and smoke a cigar at a crowded supercharger?

• Yes, America

• Disgusting, no!

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're choking from someone smoking a cigar away from your car? Seems like a little bit of an exaggeration. I think if the person is far enough away it's their own business.

Yeah might be news to you but many people are disgusted by the stench of cigars and and cigarettes.

If someone smokes in a public place, especially one where children are around, as is the case with a Supercharger, they are being a you know what. After a long drive, you should be able to roll down the windows and enjoy some fresh air while your vehicle charges.

Did you ask the guy to change position so you are not downwind? Could you change your SC spot? Before there were forums and social media, this is what we used to do.

What if the wind direction is changing? I agree that face to face discussion often resolves these issues but the choices the smoker made indicates they are inconsiderate at best. So conversation might not actually resolve the issue because cigars produce far more smoke for longer and 80 feet might not be enough separation to ameliorate the second hand effects.

I smoke the odd Cigar. Not daily or full time. I do not smoke cigarettes... There's and time and place for it. Like while sitting on a deserted beach in Mexico while sipping on tequila... Not at a supercharger station full of people. .. I am more of a.... I like to enjoy cigars on special occasions and guys trips ect.....JM2C.

I smoke the odd Cigar. Not daily or full time. I do not smoke cigarettes... There's and time and place for it. Like while sitting on a deserted beach in Mexico while sipping on tequila... Not at a supercharger station full of people. .. I am more of a.... I like to enjoy cigars on special occasions and guys trips ect.....JM2C.

Totally agree. I wish I would have taken a picture. His setup (including camping chair and sun hat) was very much “F you and your weak ass lungs. I’m here to smoke my cigar because I’m retired and you can’t stop me.” Funnier yet, there was a Yankee Candle Co air freshener hanging on the rear view mirror so you know his wife hates it too!

• Funny
Reactions: Ludalicious
R U kidding me? Here in Appalachia I have been coal rolled so much that anytime I end up behind a farm truck I turn on AC recycle mode. Here it is loaded also with midgets in suits driving F250s and RAMs, some kind of koro penile prosthesis deal.

• Love
Reactions: Lhshockey24
What if the wind direction is changing? I agree that face to face discussion often resolves these issues but the choices the smoker made indicates they are inconsiderate at best. So conversation might not actually resolve the issue because cigars produce far more smoke for longer and 80 feet might not be enough separation to ameliorate the second hand effects.

Well, posting an online poll *certainly* does not solve the issue, and in fact serves no value other than bias confirmation. This is what civil engagement has devolved to and is a direct result of social media. "I feel better having sat in a cloud of smoke because other people I don't know hate cigar smoke too. #HateSmoke!" One guy even wants pics. Ok, we (all) hate cigar smoke. Now do you just sit there, or sign an online petition? You'll often find that when approached in a civil manner, many smokers with class will be apologetic and accomodate you, though some with no class may not. Did you notice that in 30 posts, not a single person questioned why the OP simply sat there and sucked it up instead of opening his mouth.

Reactions: Geek190
Well, posting an online poll *certainly* does not solve the issue, and in fact serves no value other than bias confirmation. This is what civil engagement has devolved to and is a direct result of social media. "I feel better having sat in a cloud of smoke because other people I don't know hate cigar smoke too. #HateSmoke!" One guy even wants pics. Ok, we (all) hate cigar smoke. Now do you just sit there, or sign an online petition? You'll often find that when approached in a civil manner, many smokers with class will be apologetic and accomodate you, though some with no class may not. Did you notice that in 30 posts, not a single person questioned why the OP simply sat there and sucked it up instead of opening his mouth.

I’ll answer your question directly - because we just walked inside and ignored it. I’d rather not get into a confrontation with my wife and 3 young children with me. Posting on this online forum is just more for fostering a discussion on the topic. That’s...sorta what an online...FORUM is for.

Also your social media complaints will fall on deaf ears. I’m 32 and haven’t used social media in several years.

But also, hashtag hate the smokes. Did I do it right?

Reactions: SSonnentag
I said it is OK in the sense that he would be allowed to (assuming there is no sign to the contrary, and no local ordinance that prohibits it), but it remains true that people can be rude or inconsiderate and still be allowed to do something. I have never smoked, but I would hope that most smokers today would be sensitive to where their smoke goes and who might be affected.

I’ll answer your question directly - because we just walked inside and ignored it. I’d rather not get into a confrontation with my wife and 3 young children with me. Posting on this online forum is just more for fostering a discussion on the topic. That’s...sorta what an online...FORUM is for.

Also your social media complaints will fall on deaf ears. I’m 32 and haven’t used social media in several years.

But also, hashtag hate the smokes. Did I do it right?

Now you've got it!

You resolved the issue proactively by moving. Good, problem solved. Did you really need an online poll to see who else hates cigar smoke? C'mon. You are better than that.

Besides, you are the product of social media. Without the meme of an online poll, what would you have done, pay for a newspaper ad? Hang a poll at work? No, you'd complain to your wife about the a-hole at the charger, and drove home. So much easier and less drama. And here I am, giving you a hard time about an online poll via social media when I could have ignored it like I would normally do. So, you got me! Ha!

Last edited:
Now you've got it!

You resolved the issue proactively by moving. Good, problem solved. Did you really need an online poll to see who else hates cigar smoke? C'mon. You are better than that.

Besides, you are the product of social media.

You are incorrect. I am not better than that and you know it.

Also, I’m the product of AOL instant messenger. My generation invented social media though. Sorry ‘bout that. I promise we’ll fix it later.

Reactions: croman
You are incorrect. I am not better than that and you know it.

Also, I’m the product of AOL instant messenger. My generation invented social media though. Sorry ‘bout that. I promise we’ll fix it later.

Ha, I remember telling Steve Case his service sucked, I forgot the exact reason. Regarding social media, I won't hold my breath whilst you fix it. In the mean time, we can only hope for its demise while we grow ectopic bone at the back of our skulls.