Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow Chains for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are absolutely correct that you would normally put snow chains on all four tires of a 4-wheel drive vehicle. Normally, though, 4-wheel drive vehicles tend to have more clearance between the tire and wheel well than the model S. I would guess that is why Tesla recommends only installing chains on the rear wheels and only on the 19" tires.

From Tesla: "Chains should only be installed on the rear wheels of the Model S and only on 19" tires."

Anybody know about the reports of suspension abrasion from Z-chains? I don't know whether the reports are for 19" or 21" wheels, or RWD vs. AWD cars (they didn't say)...I have a set (RWD S85) but am hesitant to use them until I can validate or dismiss the suspension issues...

Anyone use the "zip tie" style chains you can find on eBay? They are super cheap, and fit tires width 295mm. I'm thinking of just keeping a baggie of 10 zip ties in my trunk for the R2 days.

For R2, if you have M+S tires (all-season) and AWD, you don't need to install the chains, but only have them in your trunk.

I'm scared actually using any of these chains will scuff the rim or cause worse damage. There really isn't a great solution.

I just spoke to tesla service and they said that the Z-chains are perfectly fine - when installed correctly, and that they tested them for many miles before offering them. They switched because the newer chains are easier to install.
The install procedure requires you to install, drive the car a few feet, and then stop and re-tighten the chains. And the chains are only to be used on 19" wheels.
I don't know what to say about the reports of damage...broken chains? not tight enough?
SweetP - can you elaborate on your experience with them?