Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

snow chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Test fitting performed on the LEFT side of the car. The chains go on easy enough, but the inner cable makes too small of a hexagon to clear the lower control arm.

There's about 0.5" clearance between the inner circumference of the wheel to the control arm. Banana for scale.

I had the outer cables pulled as taut as I could get them. The inner cable wasn't super tight, but there was no slack, and it resisted deflection. I highly doubt it would be possible to get more than another 0.1" of clearance out the inner cable. One of the clips looked like it might rub against the inner wheel well, but there was a small amount of clearance.

The clip looked like it would easily hit the control arm. The cable intrudes into the control arm by about 1.0" at the worst spot.

Tesla's picture of their snow cables show's a tiny bit of red cable intruding into the open space of the wheel, but nothing compared to mine.

Attachments

• 01-Cable.JPG
    01-Cable.JPG
    484.7 KB · Views: 554
  • 02-Clearance.JPG
    02-Clearance.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 544
  • 03-Prefit.JPG
    03-Prefit.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 540
  • 04-Tensioned.JPG
    04-Tensioned.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 536
  • 05-BackClear1.JPG
    05-BackClear1.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 535
  • 07-ClipClear.JPG
    07-ClipClear.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 533
  • 06-BackClear2.JPG
    06-BackClear2.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 531
  • 08-Interference.JPG
    08-Interference.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 526
  • 09-Underside.JPG
    09-Underside.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 518
  • 10-Intrusion.JPG
    10-Intrusion.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 516
I agree it's a bad fit. I had one break in use and the inner red cable cover was shredded. A Tesla tech came out with another set to help me up my steep snow-covered hill and agree the fit was too close. They advise not to use the chains. They checked with the Tesla mothership but there's apparently no new solution.

I agree it's a bad fit. I had one break in use and the inner red cable cover was shredded. A Tesla tech came out with another set to help me up my steep snow-covered hill and agree the fit was too close. They advise not to use the chains. They checked with the Tesla mothership but there's apparently no new solution.

Hey SweetP, do you have 19" or 21" wheels?

19's on stock wheels.

Thanks. I just chatted with my local service center (Sunnyvale, CA) and they insist that the chains fit on the 19" wheels, and invited me in to show me how to put them on. They also offered to let me return them if I wanted to.

Don't have an urgent need to use them so I'm going to just hold on to them for now, but may swing by there to take them up on the offer of showing me how to put them on when I have less to do at work...

• Funny
Reactions: Oceanwolf
Just a note, the above referenced chains SZ143 Super-Z chains are NOT the same as the chains that Tesla sells. When I bought mine, Tesla sold Z-563 Z-Chain Extreme's.

Peter

(
Thanks. I just chatted with my local service center (Sunnyvale, CA) and they insist that the chains fit on the 19" wheels, and invited me in to show me how to put them on. They also offered to let me return them if I wanted to.

Don't have an urgent need to use them so I'm going to just hold on to them for now, but may swing by there to take them up on the offer of showing me how to put them on when I have less to do at work...

I just got a set of the z cables that are in the first post of this thread. There is a local store called Chains Required, they had me try some of the Super Z cables but the would rub on the susp. arm. The reg z cables are close but do not hit. Give them a call at 805-237-0300, they will ship them to you. Tell them Jeff told you to call so you get the correct set as they now know the tesla well.

I've read with interest this and other threads regarding tire chains, specifically the SCC Z-chains Z-563 that used to be what Tesla recommended and sold on their website. I own a set, and have only test-fitted them. The clearance is indeed very tight, so much so that when combined with the experiences of others with lower control arm damage I don't think I want to run them. For reference, my car is a 2014 Model S 85.

I dealt with this issue on my wife's FWD Mazda by adding a set of 25 mm when spacers that I put on before the first threat of snow each year, and it had worked wonderfully. Wouldn't have been able to get around in either vehicle whatsoever in this recent storm without the cables I have for her car, and couldn't have used them without the spacers.

As I already own and am familiar with the SCC cables, and that moving the rear wheels of the Tesla out 1" or so would, by my eye, give these cables ample clearance (without getting near the bodywork or fender liners), I'm considering finding and purchasing a set of spacers. I realize that I could just buck up and pay for the Trak Sports that Tesla is now listing on their site, but that's a lot of expense and frankly they don't look nearly as durable, especially considering the significant mass of the car. I also realize the importance of torquing the lugs to the high spec required, as I've done my own rotations for the last 19,000+ miles.

So if anyone knows where to find a set of 25mm 5x120 64.1 mm spacers, please share. I'm considering the following options

Baan Velgen - Eibach Pro Spacers spoorverbreders track widening | Tesla Model s. Too expensive!

Vehicle Bolt Pattern - 5x120 - Wheel Spacers - (PAIR). Much less expensive, but not certain the bolt pattern is right, and also think the hub bore is too large, which would make the wheels lug centric rather than hub centric.

Seeking any insight.

I just received my Security Chain Company Z-563 Z-Chain Extreme Performance cable tire chain's from Amazon and performed a test fit. They seem to fit pretty well and are not contacting the lower suspension arm. I can see why Tesla went to the Trak Sport chains though. They are not even close to any suspension component and provide more traction since there is a continuous chain around the whole tire.
IMG_3073.jpg
IMG_3074.jpg
IMG_3075.jpg

I just received my Security Chain Company Z-563 Z-Chain Extreme Performance cable tire chain's from Amazon and performed a test fit. They seem to fit pretty well and are not contacting the lower suspension arm. I can see why Tesla went to the Trak Sport chains though. They are not even close to any suspension component and provide more traction since there is a continuous chain around the whole tire. View attachment 109190View attachment 109191View attachment 109192

Have you used them yet on a snow-packed road? Any issues? Nice pictures BTW.

That's what I'm trying to figure out... There are a few threads floating around here and the general consensus from the "locals" in Tahoe for instance, so long as you have M+S tires and are AWD the Highway Patrol doesn't push the chain requirement.

Jeff

I can not emphasize enough that anyone who tells you that M+S and AWD will make you safe in the mountains isn't giving you advice. M+S can very from kind of ok to absolutely a death trap, Never good.

And AWD does absolutely nothing for you when using the brakes.

Every cars traction depends on the rubber hitting the road. No what some "local" on a forum suggest that won't be there when you get into trouble.

From some non local on a forum [emoji19]