Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

snow chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not your responsibility Chad, but if anyone has photos of any chains on the rear from inside the wheel well showing clearance and can also post the mm of their chain set, it would be great.

When Tesla told me all we had to do for the 19" wheels with oem all weather tires was to meet class S clearance standards, I bought 2 pairs if chains. 1 was the z chains (just over 6 mm) and the other a more aggressive set of Thule chains (12 mm). I just need to figure out which set to return. :(

if nobody else does before me, I will post once I get the car.

Cheers

Haven't tried them yet with my Tesla (simply because it's just coming next week :smile:) but on my previous low-clearance Mercedes I have been very happy with the AutoSock "chains". They are made of fabric instead of metal so they won't last as long (especially if used without ice) but they have decent traction and are amazingly easy to fit (you can put the whole set in less than one minute, so there's no much reason to keep them on in non-icy stretches). And they don't need ANY clearance (they are probably five mm thick) and have zero chance of hitting, denting or scraping anything, so they are ideal for a car like the Model S.
I'm planning on ordering a set for the S as soon as it arrives, will report back on how they fit.

I have some for the front wheels on my S coming this weekend, but here in CA they are not approved for chain controls so you still need real chains on the drive axle. Lots of people like them, but apparently testing shows them to have inferior performance to real chains and many areas therefore do not qualify them as such for bad roads when chains are required by law.

Just make sure to check your local laws/regulations if applicable.

Cheers.

Snow chains. Any options for 21"?

Hello,

New to the forum. I am just about to order my P85 (White | Black Int | Pano | Obeche Matte | Tech | No spoiler). The only option I have not decided on is the wheels. I have read several threads about the pros and cons between the 19” and 21” wheels. My take is that I really don’t care about the performance difference. The 19” would be sufficient for my needs. I just really love the look of the 21” better. Very much more so. The 19" rims are so boring. There is a thread here about buying aftermarket 19” turbine-style rims, yet I see that only the OP has actually done this so far.

Here is my concern/question:
I travel to Mammoth Mtn at least 5 times every winter. SC stations are set to go live on this route by the end of the year. Typically, I would not need chains, but this last ski season I did on 2 of these trips. The 19” wheels can easily accommodate chains. The 21” wheels cannot. At least, that’s what TM says. Looking at the wheels, it does not seem to be a matter of clearance. There is plenty of room. I believe the issue is that today’s cable-style chains wrap around the tire sides. In the case of the 21” option, the chains would definitely hang over the rims and destroy them (cosmetically), and would do so instantly. There are other newer chain options out there: Mita chains wrap just around the threads. I have scoured the internet to find decent reviews, and could only find one that was largely negative. There is also a type of tire “sock” though reviews are also questionable. Either way, I am not sure either would pass California DOT rules.

So what are my options?
  1. I could borrow or rent an SUV when I go up. Easy answer, but that takes the fun out of driving this beauty!! The point of this thread for me is to find a way for me to drive this baby up there. I can imagine how sad I would feel driving past SC stations in my ICE.
  2. I could get the aftermarket 19” rims as posted on that other thread. The cost is not bad (certainly less than the 21”). Is there a lot of risk to this?
  3. I could have 2 sets of rims/tires. I would rather not go through the expense. 95% of my driving is in sunny So Cal.
  4. I could stick with 21” chains and try my luck with one of those off-beat chain options.
  5. ???? Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Any comments and suggestions are more than welcome. Thank you.

Thank you, Nigel, for moderating this forum so well (i.e.: for moving my thread to the correct place).

I guess I'm just trying to have my cake and eat it too. I really love the look of those 21". If the Mita chains are an option, I could do that. I would only use them for about 10 miles of driving. Once I am planted in a snow location, I don't really use the car until it's time to go home. Also, there is no guarantee that the Mammoth route (Ca 14 and 395) will have the SC stations until they're actually built.

Jason, how often do you go up to big bear in the winter? Half the time I go up they make me put up chains, even though the roads look fine (no ice). Driving up 30+ miles in chains on pavement is no fun. Are you getting a set of beater rims and winter tires or just going to use the Conti tires w/Chains??

Wow, talk about a slow response on my part! I totally missed your question until 4SUPER9 resurrected the thread with NigelM's help. Shokunin, the answer to your question is we go up there about one or two weekends a month during the winter. I got the Z-chains Tesla sells in the 21" tire size (Z-563) from Amazon for my 21" Continentals. I was able to test that the chains worked on my back 21" Continentals in the driveway by driving up and back several feet without rubbing. I had to adjust them the first time on one tire to make sure the chains were as far out on the tire as possible, which is the way they are supposed to be. At first I didn't pull hard enough and they were too far back on the tire, and as I slowly backed down my driveway we could see they were getting caught in the suspension. It takes some really firm pulling to get them all the way on properly.

I like to drive directly to the mountains from work and meet my family for the weekend. But in the event of expected chain conditions we leave my S at home or my office and my family picks me up at work in my wife's Highlander Hybrid (she's anxiously awaiting her X). So I'm carrying them for emergency use only. So far I haven't had to use them and hopefully I never will because you're right--they seem like they could do something nasty to the wheels' paint. I think, but am not 100% confident, that they would work okay even for a decent distance though. I have Alloy Gators on, and I'm hoping that between those and wrapping the parts of the chain that overlap the Alloy with duct tape I could prevent scratching.

So 4SUPER9, while I feel a lot better knowing I could use them if I had to, I'd certainly not plan on using chains with 21"ers except in an unexpected emergency. The chains (well, cables) come well over the alloy on the 21"ers. I carry them since the CHP requires it, but I won't drive up in the S if snow is expected or chains are required. If you want something you can feel comfortable using with chains, I'd say go with the 19"ers unfortunately. But I too greatly preferred the 21" wheels so I'm working around it.

Last edited:
Thanks dadeleus,

The more I look at this, the more likely I will stay with the 19" rims. I simply do not trust duct tape enough for this use. I wish there was some experience with the Mita "chains." This solves the whole rim damage problem. I am not concerned with the low profile tires otherwise, since my use in the snow would be so limited.

Ugh. This is driving me nuts.
I am determined to solve this. This is what I just found from Thule. Not cheap. I have no concern with this clearing the wheel well. Do any of you experienced folks may know if there could be a problem attaching these to the lug nut as in the video? Does anyone know what size lug nuts the Tesla has? Let me know your opinions please. And don't worry, I know that I'm acting a little crazy and I assume all responsibility.

thule-k-summit_2.jpg

Amazon.com: Thule K-Summit Low-Profile Passenger Car Snow Chain, Size K45 (Sold in pairs): Automotive

Here are the fitting instructions:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks dadeleus,

The more I look at this, the more likely I will stay with the 19" rims. I simply do not trust duct tape enough for this use. I wish there was some experience with the Mita "chains." This solves the whole rim damage problem. I am not concerned with the low profile tires otherwise, since my use in the snow would be so limited.

I would probably stick with the 19" rims and winter tires. The 21" summer tires aren't made for winter anyway.

I would probably stick with the 19" rims and winter tires. The 21" summer tires aren't made for winter anyway.

You are right. But this has nothing to do with logic. It's passion! :biggrin:
99% of my driving will be in So Cal conditions. I am looking for an emergency solution. If I know there is a huge storm coming in, I'll borrow another car.

I found another review on a BMW forum here. I am really thinking these may fit.

Those K-Summit's are interesting. You'll have to let me know if those work on 21"ers.

I think Tesla uses 21mm lugnuts because a Prius crowbar fit the lugnuts on mine when I had a loose nut.

I'm unclear: Do you have to remove and reattach the lugnut to install these? Be warned that the lugnuts on the Tesla are supposed to be very very tight. Not sure you can adequately tighten outside a shop.

Those K-Summit's are interesting. You'll have to let me know if those work on 21"ers.

I think Tesla uses 21mm lugnuts because a Prius crowbar fit the lugnuts on mine when I had a loose nut.

I'm unclear: Do you have to remove and reattach the lugnut to install these? Be warned that the lugnuts on the Tesla are supposed to be very very tight. Not sure you can adequately tighten outside a shop.

I was confused by the lugnut issue too. I read a review on a bimmer forum here. There are far better pictures which shows that the lugnut does not get removed, but the device has a pressure-type socket that fits on the outside of the lugnut head and squeezes onto it.

While I love the 21" and think that these chains would provide a good solution, I gave up and changed my order to 19". Fortunately, I was really early in production and they let me do it. The main reason was not for the chains, but for the city. My friends with the 21" all have curb rash. I also realized that the entrance/exit to my office parking lot is configured in a way that I will certainly be hitting the curb there fairly often (and have been). I'm also lazy with tire maintanance. As much as I like the look of these 21"ers, and will go with practicality for now.

What about speed?

I have driven in snow all my (driving) life, but have never had snow chains on (spike tires and/or carefulness has done the trick), but it looks like this is about to change tomorrow on the way to Lake Tahoe. I have the same z-chains as OP and did a garage rehearsal on putting them on (thanks for the instructions by the way, they were missing from my package), but what I can't find anywhere is how fast can you reasonably expect to be able to drive without ripping them to shreds?

I have driven in snow all my (driving) life, but have never had snow chains on (spike tires and/or carefulness has done the trick), but it looks like this is about to change tomorrow on the way to Lake Tahoe.
Don't get me started. The main reason one of our cars has AWD is to avoid California's draconian chain requirements. Two flakes of snow on the road, and chains are required.

I have the same z-chains as OP and did a garage rehearsal on putting them on (thanks for the instructions by the way, they were missing from my package), but what I can't find anywhere is how fast can you reasonably expect to be able to drive without ripping them to shreds?
Typically you don't want to exceed 30 mph with chains/cables installed. That would include Z cables, which I have for our LEAF.