Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the opposite issue. If I park in dark mode. Sometimes (just sometimes) when I get in during the day it will be several minutes (yes minutes) before the screen goes bright. Proves to be a pain when I need the reversing camera and it's sunny out. Dark s reen very difficult to see what's going on in that circumstance.

I assume the time setting is from the network as the screen will change at same time as Spotify reconnects (mobile reception is poor at my house until I've driven a couple of minutes. )

Doesn't happen often but a pain in the 🍒 when it does.

Yes, the computer use an NTP server ping in order to get "local time" from a cell phone tower. If you have poor cell reception, it will stay in it's current config until it gets that, or establishes a WiFi connection.

Reactions: Chimpy McChimp
It does, but like most Linux based systems it does an NTP time sync multiple times per day.
Yep but not critical eg at startuo. Which is the whole point. When screen starts it does not *have* to do a time sync for it to know the time. It can know that from the rtc which thankfully allows the car to know what time it when there is no network connection such as in a basement car park.

Who doesn't use permanent dark mode on their phone and car screens these days anyway?!

Can the transition time can be customised?

I think I get 'dark mode' at 7 pm, and don't know when it get reversed back to 'day mode'.

I wonder if the 'dark mode' follows the seasons, since nights are longer in winter than in the summer.

Also does it self-adjusts to the sunset and sunrise times depending of the latitude of your area.

Last edited:
Can the transition time can be customised?

I think I get 'dark mode' at 7 pm, and don't know when it get reversed back to 'day mode'.

I wonder if the 'dark mode' follows the seasons, since nights are longer in winter than in the summer.

Also does it self-adjusts to the sunset and sunrise times depending of the latitude of your area.
I thought it would just go off the headlights.. if it's dark enough for them to come on then the screen goes into dark mode? I'm only guessing because mine was set to dark mode straightaway when we first got the car.

I don't use dark mode during day. Especially on a sunny day the reflections on screen make it virtually impossible to see what's on the screen. Not great when reversing and you can't rely on the vision based system
Dark mode does not effect the brightness. You can have 100% brightness and still be in dark mode. The cameras work perfectly in dark mode during the day.

Reactions: pdk42
Seems that the S3XY people will have after-market stalks before too long.

The IKEA of car, people.

Assemble it yourself and pick from the growing third-party list:
- A steering wheel that's not a yoke
- Left/right stalks
- A driver dash / hud
- Console buttons
- Parcel shelf
- Floor mats

I swear Tesla will soon take orders for a $20,000 car*

*battery not included