Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not being an expert, that doesn’t sound like a big change.
Is it? Is it like to feel significant?
No, not really. Lock to lock goes from 2 turns to 2.14 turns. But if the indicator buttons would be just in reach at a certain junction/roundabout exit with the current model, they might now be just out of reach - it certainly doesn't help the situation.

It might help new owners not to kerb their wheels when they first pick up their new car as the steering won't be quite as fast as the current model.

Disappointingly the already poor turning circle increases from 11.6m to 11.7m with the new model.

Thank you both for the information.
An extra 10° and an 0.14 turn of the wheel doesn’t sound like much at all.

Mind you, I do like a fast, crisp steer. I wonder whether this will take away some of the “sportiness”…

I have the impression that there is an overall intention to slightly reduce sportiness... moving more towards a softer, quieter, less taut ride ... so slightly slower steering would fit with that approach. Many of the comments about the car have been from people who want that kind of feel. It's a difficult compromise for a "sporting saloon" because it can very easily just become ... a saloon! Hopefully it doesn't lose the reassuringly solid and planted feeling that has been part of the car's character.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Pretty much the only chance Tesla have of keeping me as a customer (which I'm sure keeps them up at night) is if they're doing stuff like this to make the gap between the LR and Performance/Plaid more dramatic. I would hope that they would just make the Performo-plaid even better rather than softening up the LR, though, but since I wouldn't be buying that version it's not really my concern.

I'm hoping the Plaid-mance is bonkers. It's pretty much the only thing that might make me care less about losing USS and stalks.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Having watched the review video made by the SEXY button people, I’m feeling more comfortable that the Highland will be an option for me when change time comes (probably end of next year). It’s likely their after market stalks will be available by then so there really shouldn’t be a good reason not to go for it.

OTOH, if the rest of the supercharger estate opens up to non Tesla by that time, then I might be persuaded by the Nio ET5 Touring. But I’ll be looking closely at its software. Having been bitten by the cr@p that came with my wife’s ID3, it’ll definitely be a case of “once bitten, twice shy”.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned or discussed but the blind spot indicators on this car feel like a massive after thought. It’s just a tiny little cheap red LED inside the speaker covers. No doubt only because they had to add it but a little bit more effort might have been nice.

How would this work whilst a) retaining Tesla warranty and b) not impacting insurance?

Many insurers point blank refuse to quote if there are modifications and non-disclosure would void anyway.

Not sure how SEXY buttons work but thought they may require some module connection to interface with Canbus.

A complete stalk replacement would be a fairly significant install. I would imagine an underwriter would be extremely wary of something which could be potentially dangerous without significant safety testing.
Having watched the review video made by the SEXY button people, I’m feeling more comfortable that the Highland will be an option for me when change time comes (probably end of next year). It’s likely their after market stalks will be available by then so there really shouldn’t be a good reason not to go for it.

It’s just a tiny little cheap red LED inside the speaker covers
But it is always on your peripheral vision any visual stimulation there will instantly alert you. In fact this is better than what the Volvo makes! You don’t have to glance the wing mirror in this set up. @Zilla91 see I didn’t mention BMW here, I am fair.

Last edited:
How would this work whilst a) retaining Tesla warranty and b) not impacting insurance?

Many insurers point blank refuse to quote if there are modifications and non-disclosure would void anyway.

Not sure how SEXY buttons work but thought they may require some module connection to interface with Canbus.

A complete stalk replacement would be a fairly significant install. I would imagine an underwriter would be extremely wary of something which could be potentially dangerous without significant safety testing.
The S3XY button stalk upgrade as shown is just the OEM pre-highland SCCM (assembly that includes the stalks), so that piece already meets requirements. The electronics module that will needs to sit between the SCCM and the Tesla CAN network on the other hand, that may be an issue for some insurers, not sure.

But it is always on your peripheral vision any visual stimulation ....You don’t have to glance the wing mirror in this set up.
...this level of trust in the cameras?

I like my Tesla but will never trust anything based on Tesla Vision over my own eyes - not for reversing let alone slamming into an 'unseen' vehicle beside me because a little red dot suggests it's OK.

But it is always on your peripheral vision any visual stimulation there will instantly alert you. In fact this is better than what the Volvo makes! You don’t have to glance the wing mirror in this set up. @Zilla91 see I didn’t mention BMW here, I am fair.
Well probably need to see it in person but it looks pretty small and not all that bright. Wing mirror ones are good as you’re supposed to look in your mirrors before you change lanes so it’s the logical place.

It feels like an afterthought here but as it’s a legal requirement they just slotted in some cheap LED’s. Ah well. Better than not having it of course.

Wing mirror ones are good as you’re supposed to look in your mirrors before you change lanes so it’s the logical place.
True that’s the logical place, but if you are aware of a vehicle even before you look at the wing mirror that is preempting one step. With some ophthalmology background I can confidently say the visual cues are right on your peripheral vision. But it is not the usual place where they put that. Again it is a Tesla they don’t do the normal way!

True that’s the logical place, but if you are aware of a vehicle even before you look at the wing mirror that is preempting one step. With some ophthalmology background I can confidently say the visual cues are right on your peripheral vision. But it is not the usual place where they put that. Again it is a Tesla they don’t do the normal way!
I’m fine with the position. Just felt something a bit more classy would have been nice is all. They do a lot to save money yet most of that doesn’t come across. It’s minimal but I feel quite nice regardless.

Just they reminded me of little cheap LED’s from a kids first electronics kit / toy. Not quite befitting of the car is all, even with their cost saving focus.

I just read it is only on the driver side. That is a real half baked stuff from Tesla. And correct me if I am wrong.

See the below from electrek online.
……the Owner’s Manual does specifically say driver door. And we’ve only seen the LED light on that side, not on the passenger side. So this blind spot indicator might only be on the driver’s side of the vehicle, not the passenger side, which seems odd. Driver side blind spots are more pronounced because it’s harder to crane your neck around in that direction, but if it’s cheap and simple enough to add the indicator to one side, why not the other side too?

Reactions: zoomer0056