Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am so confused. Are you saying they took away ultrasonic functions with a software update even though you have the sensors? I did not have this experience in the U.S with my 2018 M3 and I have FSDbeta.

So you are not aware what functions were fitted and worked well in clear or inclement weather but Tesla disabled and first outing our car didn’t visualise a motorbike 20 yards behind a car on a dark motorway and showed no sign of slowing which had we not have intervened to disengage TACC probably would have run straight up the back of them. Only found out later that being blind to motorcycles was not uncommon.

Clue R_D_R

So you are not aware what functions were fitted and worked well in clear or inclement weather but Tesla disabled and first outing our car didn’t visualise a motorbike 20 yards behind a car on a dark motorway and showed no sign of slowing which had we not have intervened to disengage TACC probably would have run straight up the back of them. Only found out later that being blind to motorcycles was not uncommon.

Clue R_D_R
What does that have to do with ultrasonics? Their range is 5 yards or less.

What does that have to do with ultrasonics? Their range is 5 yards or less.

I never said it was. You said Tesla was not the car for me and I agreed and mentioned it was the only company that sells you a car then disables perfectly usable functionality during the lifetime of the car. It was you that incorrectly assumed that that comment related to USS. It was a general comment about Tesla disabling functionality and introducing bugs, something that no other vehicle have owned have had happen to.

No mention of USS… it was you that made incorrect assumptions about me and our car, just like you continue to do now.
You are absolutely right. But when I bought mine and even last time I looked they were still a car company and made no mention that they would steal functionality from the car that you bought and replace it with poorer performing functionality and bugs.

I was kind of use to buying a car and, you know, it lasting 14+ years with minor reliability problems like other manufacturers do. It’s September, must be time for it’s annual service centre visit to fix a problem that other vehicle manufacturers solved, to coin your phrase, 100 years ago.

I never said it was. You said Tesla was not the car for me and I agreed and mentioned it was the only company that sells you a car then disables perfectly usable functionality during the lifetime of the car. It was you that incorrectly assumed that that comment related to USS. It was a general comment about Tesla disabling functionality and introducing bugs, something that no other vehicle have owned have had happen to.

No mention of USS… it was you that made incorrect assumptions about me and our car, just like you continue to do now.
Your initial complaint was USS and I thought we were still on topic. Anyways, why did you derail this thread about highland into a Tesla rant anyways?

Reactions: bkp_duke
Your initial complaint was USS and I thought we were still on topic. Anyways, why did you derail this thread about highland into a Tesla rant anyways?
Welcome to the UK sub-forum. Happens to most threads here sadly.

To be clear I am not referring to any particular poster. It just seems so many of the posts here are the same complaints over and over.

I feel blessed that we actually like both of our Tesla. They are not without fault but I’ve never owned any car that was.

Last edited:

I think you will find that you turned to talking about saving money and USS removal long before I joined the party. USS was gone long before highland so you were already well off camber. I just pointed out that in UK, FSD was a rare thing and functionally far from capable of you suggesting the steering wheel being removed at which point you played the “Tesla is not the right car for you” card which I agreed with saying Tesla was the only car that is functionally less capable than when I bought the car and used Tesla disabling features such as Radar (could have added others like summon and others have previously mentioned worse functionality than the car that they ordered with no official notification) as reason why I agreed with you.

I think you will find that you have been the one trolling. I hope you enjoyed the food.

Significant distraction? They deleted USS to save money because they were reducing prices. People knew how to park for a century without USS...I think the world is not going to end without it.

Last edited:
Reactions: browellm and Drew57
I'm still sore about losing my cruise radar. Fundamentally it can do things that camera can't, like see through fog, and I don't want to have to wait for "FSD v25 - UK edition" for the car to remember how to pull away from a standstill without snapping my neck.

Reactions: Durzel
I'm still sore about losing my cruise radar. Fundamentally it can do things that camera can't, like see through fog, and I don't want to have to wait for "FSD v25 - UK edition" for the car to remember how to pull away from a standstill without snapping my neck.
Glad it's not just me that is unimpressed with that. I haven't really used TACC much in traffic jams, but I did yesterday and every time the car in front moved forwards mine just surged and then basically immediately braked. That seems pretty basic functionality in automated driving, yet it behaves this way.. why?

Reactions: browellm
Glad it's not just me that is unimpressed with that. I haven't really used TACC much in traffic jams, but I did yesterday and every time the car in front moved forwards mine just surged and then basically immediately braked. That seems pretty basic functionality in automated driving, yet it behaves this way.. why?
My experience with adaptive cruise control is a bit like that....you always have to hover your foot over the pedals because it feels like you were going to ram the vehicle in front

Reactions: asl3312
Back in the day, Tesla made a virtue of the radar saying it could see beyond the car immediately in front by picking up the reflections bouncing off the road beneath the car in front, if you follow the logic. Sure enough they even started showing two cars infront and the odd video appeared where this had saved lives - the car supposedly taking action before the car I front had reacted. Now we don’t need it as a camera in the middle screen, a position which is least likely to see past the car in front unless it can see over it, is all we have. #progress.

I need to cheer myself up while my ‘front motor disabled’ message in being investigated the day before I’m due to do a 350 mile round trip journey.. worse things happen at sea apparently

Radar was the best thing since sliced bread until it ate too much into margins, at which point it was retrospectively always a flawed system. A bit like "stats show no usage" passenger lumbar delete and console USB ports losing data.

I'm kinda tired of the narrative that because we drive using only our eyes, then ipso facto cameras must necessarily be enough for self-driving. That might be true in the dim and distant future where they somehow can't be compromised by moisture, condensation, dirt, glare, etc - but it's not today, and it won't be in any practical timeline. Tesla "eyes" have already shown they are unreliable at measuring distance for Tesla Vision Park Assist. You can put that down to immature software, but I'd suggest that just uncritically buying into the Tesla narrative of "cameras are equivalent to eyes", when the narrative can't even be trusted to be based on belief rather than margin-chasing, is foolhardy.

Now we don’t need it as a camera in the middle screen, a position which is least likely to see past the car in front unless it can see over it, is all we have. #progress.
Just an FYI, I've had the car alert me because the car two in front of me had stopped. The one in front was still travelling and it highlighted the stopped car in red.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro and Bouba
Just an FYI, I've had the car alert me because the car two in front of me had stopped. The one in front was still travelling and it highlighted the stopped car in red.
Not sure whether you're agreeing with me or not. Do you think it would do it if you were, say, following a Van? Tesla effectively made a claim that the Radar worked where line of sight wasn't possible. I can't see how your car would have slowed down unless, by chance it could physically see that car in front, something that is not always possible, let alone with just a central camera. Simple logic says Camera only is not not as good as Camera and Radar

How'd it manage to do that? You can now access all the cameras in the service menu so you can see exactly what the car sees and none of the views allow it to see past the car in front

I'd suggest maybe it was some kind of fluke, the car it noticed was noticeably higher then the car in front of you or radar isn't fully disabled on the cars that have it

Not sure whether you're agreeing with me or not. Do you think it would do it if you were, say, following a Van? Tesla effectively made a claim that the Radar worked where line of sight wasn't possible. I can't see how your car would have slowed down unless, by chance it could physically see that car in front, something that is not always possible, let alone with just a central camera. Simple logic says Camera only is not not as good as Camera and Radar
Did radar actually see and react to cars in front of vans in real life?

I thought the argument was that when vision and Radar give conflicting information it was too hard for the software to figure out what to do.
So the obvious solution was apparently to get rid of the one of the sources of information. Problem solved :rolleyes:
I mean why not? the idea that if someone disagrees with you get rid of them has worked well for Elon over the years 🤣