Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this describes my feelings exactly.
My GOD, my M3P- is such great fun to drive but my GOD they don’t half seem to treat their customers with contempt! And some of their design/engineering decisions are frankly baffling.

Ain’t life fun! 😃

One area to definitely improve upon. I have 4 local service centers, and it took trial and error to figure out which one was the "good" one, comparatively.

But, they have treated me right in the past few years and consistently shown improvement. Had a strut go out in my P3D last week (mostorous pot holes are common here), and they had the replacement done in 4 hours, and at a price (for both rear struts+springs) that I would have not been able to hit for just a single one in my previous BMW or Audi.

The service center I go to wasn't always good. Lots of people complained about it, so it took some serious feedback to Tesla for them to change things. But they did.

I think this describes my feelings exactly.
My GOD, my M3P- is such great fun to drive but my GOD they don’t half seem to treat their customers with contempt! And some of their design/engineering decisions are frankly baffling.

Ain’t life fun! 😃
I think it’s the RyanAir model of treating your customers with contempt. Removing the USS before TeslaVision, even in its woeful state, was deployed, shows they really don’t give a *sugar* about the consumer experience. I’ve been more angry since I found out they have been supplying USS cars in Australia, so it’s not even a logistical issue. If we keep buying a worse and worse product, they’ll keep cutting features. I’m still slightly surprised the magazines haven’t picked up on Park Assist, but I suppose they may only park the car in large open areas (and to be fair, it can do that).

Reactions: Durzel
Tesla is clearly focussed on reducing the cost of manufacturing and increasing autonomy so most of the changes that they make are neither surprising nor puzzling.

I have been treated better by Tesla in the last 4 years than by BMW in the preceding 20 years.

Many of the anti Musk comments on TMC seem irrational at best.

I am happy with my Model Y and probably would buy a highland version Y in 2024/5 but the alternatives are becoming more attractive.

Not sure whether you're agreeing with me or not. Do you think it would do it if you were, say, following a Van? Tesla effectively made a claim that the Radar worked where line of sight wasn't possible. I can't see how your car would have slowed down unless, by chance it could physically see that car in front, something that is not always possible, let alone with just a central camera. Simple logic says Camera only is not not as good as Camera and Radar
I'm not getting into the divine radar vs Vision argument - all the cool kids have moved onto arguing about stalks :)

I was merely pointing out that I had an instance of a vision only car spotting a stopped car in front of the car in front of me. It probably did have sight of it at some point as it's very rare for a car to be completely hidden by the intervening car throughout a journey. Unless you drive too close. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: bkp_duke
Too many comments to reply to directly.

I will never believe that a Radar has no use as it can see better than two eyes or cameras, and it can determine range and velocity very accurately.

The fact that Tesla couldn't or wouldn't make use of it is Tesla's failing until FSDb exists in the UK.

Too many comments to reply to directly.

I will never believe that a Radar has no use as it can see better than two eyes or cameras, and it can determine range and velocity very accurately.

The fact that Tesla couldn't or wouldn't make use of it is Tesla's failing until FSDb exists in the UK.

So, the devil here, is actually in the details. The radar that Tesla was using was a low-resolution version. And to be frank, it was the root of the vast majority of the phantom braking.

Radar in itself isn't bad, but the low-res version Tesla used cause arguably as many problems as it solved.

High-resolution radar, however, that's a different beast entirely and could be helpful. The argument among the AI guys on this one is the difficulty integrating the radar signal with the Vision-only neural net model. This is not trivial to do, and Vision-only is easier to build out. Perhaps Tesla will add high-res radar back in later when the Vision neural net model is mature and integrating another "sensor stream" into the data is not as difficult.

EDIT - radar was also a legacy hold-over from the AP1 days. When MobileEye built everything (the sensors and a lot of the software stack).

I'm not getting into the divine radar vs Vision argument - all the cool kids have moved onto arguing about stalks :)

I was merely pointing out that I had an instance of a vision only car spotting a stopped car in front of the car in front of me. It probably did have sight of it at some point as it's very rare for a car to be completely hidden by the intervening car throughout a journey. Unless you drive too close. :)
Fair enough, but the car still needs to be seeing the car in front of the car in front at the time to understand if its slowing, not 30 seconds before.

Mod hat on

The threads going down the usual for's and against's of the brand, the cars themselves and Musk. Maybe we should try and bring it back to matters on the actual car, and I hold my hand up to drifiting off topic.

As a consequence, if you can't keep it about the Highland model, at least in this thread, maybe don't post at all.

Carwow Overview

Overall a decent refresh but also a bit ‘meh’
Decent rear lights
Rear screen is cool/annoying
Ambient lighting if that’s your thing
Better sound insulation
Ventilated front seats
17 speakers
Standard Range 356mi/554km
Long Range 423mi/678km

Overall, range seems to be the selling point. Nothing that makes me want to run out any buy it though.

I guess it depends on what each of us expected for the 3. To me this refresh might just get me back to Tesla in a couple years...

- I like the rear much better on the refresh, at least from the pics. I do like the front much much more. The 3 "fish/thumb" look was what pushed me to an older Model S.
- don't mind/care about the rear screen.
- ambient lighting is cool, especially if you drive in the evening/night a lot
- sounds insulation is a huge one. Road/wind noise was another issue that kept me away from a 3.
- ventilated seats FTW, who likes sweaty butts?
- more speakers, more range.

overall happy with the changes to the updated m3. Although if i was to order the highland Model 3 when my current lease runs out next year first thing on my shopping list would be a screen protector for the rear screen. the position of it looks like it would be very vulnerable to scratches/knocks by rear passengers/luggage
It’s also not very pet friendly....when you put the pet liner on the seat...it will cover it... and the dog won’t be able to access the screen