Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I drive a lot at night, my first preference would be for the car to check the time before it lights the giant tablet up full bright white in my face.
Can't say I've experienced that problem with brightness on auto, and it set to change from light to dark mode. It's one of the few things I have no complaints about at all. Even the recently added "night shift" option to go from cold to warm colours works properly.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Glad it's not just me that is unimpressed with that. I haven't really used TACC much in traffic jams, but I did yesterday and every time the car in front moved forwards mine just surged and then basically immediately braked. That seems pretty basic functionality in automated driving, yet it behaves this way.. why?
Yes that annoys me a lot, it’s unusable in traffic. My Land Rover does this just lovely in comparison and frankly that’s quite old I suspect MobileEye hardware and software by this point as it doesn’t keep you in lane automatically, only tugs / alerts if you cross a line without indicating. I think I had similar hardware on a BMW probably 7+ odd years ago.

The only plus here is Tesla has the hardware already in the cars to improve this. It can be better than my Land Rover which is more stuck at a fixed point in time. Just the software is lagging behind on Tesla outside of the US.

Also interesting that HW4 here doesn’t have Radar. Can you see them going to the effort of writing code to integrate vision and radar just for the small amount of radar they ship in Model S / X? Almost feels like they’ve changed their mind and won’t use that radar after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
If I drive a lot at night, my first preference would be for the car to check the time before it lights the giant tablet up full bright white in my face.

It already does this. The car automatically changes the screen to "dark mode" at the exact sunset time for your timezone, and then puts it back on white mode for sunrise. This can be overridden if one desires, but that's the "auto" setting functionality.

It already does this. The car automatically changes the screen to "dark mode" at the exact sunset time for your timezone, and then puts it back on white mode for sunrise. This can be overridden if one desires, but that's the "auto" setting functionality.

If I get in the car at night it blasts me in the face full bright for several seconds before it realises and darkens it. when it gets to sunset as I'm driving along the switch is fine.

If I get in the car at night it blasts me in the face full bright for several seconds before it realises and darkens it. when it gets to sunset as I'm driving along the switch is fine.

Then open the car door and wait a few seconds for the computer to come on and make the adjustments. Problem solved.

The car is in "sleep" mode to keep battery drain to a minimum. For it to have the screen instantly dimmed in that situation, the computer would need to be on all the time, which would increase phantom battery drain.

FYI - the cars with Ryzen MCUs make this transition faster than the older Atom-based MCUs. So part of it is speed of the installed computer.

Then open the car door and wait a few seconds for the computer to come on and make the adjustments. Problem solved.
"You're holding it wrong"
The car is in "sleep" mode to keep battery drain to a minimum. For it to have the screen instantly dimmed in that situation, the computer would need to be on all the time, which would increase phantom battery drain.
"It's by design"
FYI - the cars with Ryzen MCUs make this transition faster than the older Atom-based MCUs. So part of it is speed of the installed computer.
"You should upgrade"

Absolutely outstanding stuff. You can't see me, but I'm actually applauding.

Fair enough, but the car still needs to be seeing the car in front of the car in front at the time to understand if its slowing, not 30 seconds before.
Can we call the car in front of the car in front, Car2? :)

There is a predictive element to the tracking of other cars. So perhaps when Car 2 disappears in front of Car 1 and doesn't appear where expected it surmises that it has stopped? I'll have to watch Ashok's video again.
Or it might just have seen a small part of Car 2 like radar used to do.

I can understand why its doing it. I can also understand it would be possible for them to spend a tiny fraction of a second checking the time before powering the screen on. when its dark out its actually painful sometimes. And I have Ryzen but can still get into the car and have the door closed while its still sorting itself out.

I can understand why its doing it. I can also understand it would be possible for them to spend a tiny fraction of a second checking the time before powering the screen on. when its dark out its actually painful sometimes. And I have Ryzen but can still get into the car and have the door closed while its still sorting itself out.

Interesting. I rarely experience that. Wonder if it's some deep buried setting causing the behavior.

I can understand why its doing it. I can also understand it would be possible for them to spend a tiny fraction of a second checking the time before powering the screen on. when its dark out its actually painful sometimes.
Or always power up in dark mode, then change to day mode if its day time...

I guess these use cases don't get thought about until a hater someone has a moan about it reports it ;)

Are we really discussing the speed the car enables dark mode when it’s night time? I think a few other cars I’ve had also takes a moment when it turns on. It makes sense for the car to be sleeping and then take a moment to gather its environment.

I recommend factor 50 suncream to all you vampires so you don’t burst into flames from a brief flash of bright light.

Are we really discussing the speed the car enables dark mode when it’s night time? I think a few other cars I’ve had also takes a moment when it turns on. It makes sense for the car to be sleeping and then take a moment to gather its environment.

I recommend factor 50 suncream to all you vampires so you don’t burst into flames from a brief flash of bright light.
I have the opposite issue. If I park in dark mode. Sometimes (just sometimes) when I get in during the day it will be several minutes (yes minutes) before the screen goes bright. Proves to be a pain when I need the reversing camera and it's sunny out. Dark s reen very difficult to see what's going on in that circumstance.

I assume the time setting is from the network as the screen will change at same time as Spotify reconnects (mobile reception is poor at my house until I've driven a couple of minutes. )

Doesn't happen often but a pain in the 🍒 when it does.