Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cars are already un-drivable by anyone with epilepsy so not sure what your point is. Light flickering from between tree branches is far more of a trigger than the headlights flashing on and off.
It was an obvious (I thought) joke at how frequently the headlights will toggle on and off in normal driving, with tree cover, etc meaning the screen would flash constantly between light and dark mode. It wasn't meant to be taken literally.

Yep but not critical eg at startuo. Which is the whole point. When screen starts it does not *have* to do a time sync for it to know the time. It can know that from the rtc which thankfully allows the car to know what time it when there is no network connection such as in a basement car park.

But it's not startup, it's a "resume", and yes it does do an NTP sync when it regains access to network.

Raise your hand if you have had root access to more than one Tesla.

/me raises hand.

Reactions: kenneth1
Can the transition time can be customised?

I think I get 'dark mode' at 7 pm, and don't know when it get reversed back to 'day mode'.

I wonder if the 'dark mode' follows the seasons, since nights are longer in winter than in the summer.

Also does it self-adjusts to the sunset and sunrise times depending of the latitude of your area.

It following the sunset and sunrise times for you latitude and longitude is what I have gathered. Part of the hand shake with the cell phone sensors is to get a validation of the time and location (it's a location "verify" to what GPS gives, which can also take some time to sync up properly - you will notice this if you have ever left your car off for a few days then got in and the GPS doesn't move on the screen for a minute or two).

Come drive in Arizona or Southern California and try Dark Mode. Things are screen are literally not visible in that situation. I'm guessing the brightness might be a tad more than the northern latitudes.
The Brightness level is adjustable....I prefer it bright during the day...but those in Britain who are north of the ice wall could tone it down if they want

Reactions: bkp_duke
We're fine, probably all bored waiting on more details for Highland (is there a P version, when will it come to our respective countries, etc. etc.).

I'm told by Tesla sales that you can order a Highland now and be put on a list. Essentially you order a regular M3 off the website and give them the RN number to go on the list. Configuration of a highland is supposed to be possible Jan - Mar 2024 with delivery Apr to June to UK. Apparently the new colours will be available when they allow you to configure. Current boat load of M3's on way from China will be the last of the current generation. No news on whether the Performance will be available at configuration time.

I'm told by Tesla sales that you can order a Highland now and be put on a list. Essentially you order a regular M3 off the website and give them the RN number to go on the list. Configuration of a highland is supposed to be possible Jan - Mar 2024 with delivery Apr to June to UK. Apparently the new colours will be available when they allow you to configure. Current boat load of M3's on way from China will be the last of the current generation. No news on whether the Performance will be available at configuration time.

Yeah, I want a Performance (Plaid if they fulfill my dream and make one of those for the 3). I was in the sales/service center last week. They said they couldn't put me any kind of list yet for a Highland 3 here in the states.

Way off topic, maybe a mod can ultimately do a cleanup...

It following the sunset and sunrise times for you latitude and longitude is what I have gathered. Part of the hand shake with the cell phone sensors is to get a validation of the time and location (it's a location "verify" to what GPS gives, which can also take some time to sync up properly - you will notice this if you have ever left your car off for a few days then got in and the GPS doesn't move on the screen for a minute or two).

I don't need root access to know that the car has absolutely no need to access network/mobile/cell coverage to determine what time the screen should change from light to lark and vice versa.

The car has hardware clock so no need to NTP time sync and this is proven by parking in an underground car park and the car still knowing what time it is. You don't need network connection to determine what time sunset and sunrise is. I have some code that I wrote back in 2013 that determines this and does not need network connectivity, it just needs to know approximately where you are and what time you want to calculate sunset or sunrise for.

The issue is most likely to be loss of GPS lock which can take a while to resync. Granted, that can be sped up with assisted GPS which uses network coverage, but it is not critical (which allows you to park the car in an area of no network coverage and it still work out where you are even after a period of time) and absolutely nothing to to with needing time sync with NTP. Assisted GPS is only useful when you don't already have a known good location, ie you have moved between using GPS one time and wanting to use it the next and since the car normally does not move without the GPS being active.

We are saying the same thing here in the last paragraph, except that I am saying that it can all be done without your need to to an NTP time sync and the car thankfully is perfectly capable to knowing what time it is, where it is and when it is sunset, sunrise, without any form of network connection. I absolutely cannot believe that it will stay in 'current config' until it gets network connectivity. If it does, its poor implementation as the car will never find itself if its only used in areas of no network coverage, which will not be uncommon for many. The speed of GPS will then be down to the old fashioned non adaptive method, but it will still eventually find itself so long as it ultimately has a decent view of the sky.

Yes, the computer use an NTP server ping in order to get "local time" from a cell phone tower. If you have poor cell reception, it will stay in it's current config until it gets that, or establishes a WiFi connection.

What? It doesn’t have a real time clock??

It does, but like most Linux based systems it does an NTP time sync multiple times per day.

Yep but not critical eg at startuo. Which is the whole point. When screen starts it does not *have* to do a time sync for it to know the time. It can know that from the rtc which thankfully allows the car to know what time it when there is no network connection such as in a basement car park.

But it's not startup, it's a "resume", and yes it does do an NTP sync when it regains access to network.

Raise your hand if you have had root access to more than one Tesla.

/me raises hand.

'Startuo' was not a reference to processor state. It was a generic term for the car starting/screen waking up when you go to use the car.

Nope, I don't have root access, but don't need to to know how *nix and GPS should work. I have built my own prototype car dashboard (distributed Arduino not Linux based) with GPS for a project car that we race. It doesn't have a dashboard that changes between light and dark, but it knows where is is very quickly (GPS has RTC synced from the satellites and it remembers its last known location so very quickly gets a lock) and all without internet connectivity - it does do car to pit though long range RF though but its only one way. Partial image below and it predates the addition of the GPS unit. So not totally green on how these things work...

1694757934929.png

Last edited:
Wow, I thought this was a thread about highland, but last 3 pages is just petty arguments about dark mode.

Are we all ok?
This whole thread...

It should be called "So... who wants to come to the highland-road and crap down on anything and everything Tesla".

Criticism is important. Delusional moaning not so much. ✌️

My two cents worth....every time there is any upgrade...beit new battery pack, lithium 12v, Rizen etc etc...I am extremely interested...but inside I wince a little, knowing my car is slowly going out of date and if I had only waited a little longer before pulling the trigger....so I’m immensely interested in Highland...but deep inside very grateful that it’s an evolutionary change and not a revolutionary change

Reactions: Doudeau
note to self: Next time I get in the car at night, am blinded by the dash and swear under my breath - remember, while you think it'd be a simple fix to an annoying problem, its just delusional moaning.

The engineers are busy pretending to make FSD which is why they keep removing hardware because you won't need it 'eventually', and the computer doesn't need the wipers to work or the internal lighting to consider external factors, or anythign like that. Its just putting up with you until its time for the revolution.

note to self: Next time I get in the car at night, am blinded by the dash and swear under my breath - remember, while you think it'd be a simple fix to an annoying problem, its just delusional moaning.

The engineers are busy pretending to make FSD which is why they keep removing hardware because you won't need it 'eventually', and the computer doesn't need the wipers to work or the internal lighting to consider external factors, or anythign like that. Its just putting up with you until its time for the revolution.

Next time keep that as a note to self instead of polluting this thread with irrelevant information. 😘

Reactions: bkp_duke