Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might be of interest if you're getting one of these and you have children

Not sure someone needing three car seats in the back would choose a Model 3 to be fair.
Seems to be a pure rule compliance exercise. You can't even fit 3 car seats on the rear bench...

Might be of interest if you're getting one of these and you have children

Interesting... so because the centre anchor point is not accessible its deemed that the centre seat is not suitable for an ISOFIX child seat.

I'm not familiar with Australian Design Laws, but the instruction manual for the 2024 M3 does specify "Infants and children can occupy a rear outboard seat using either belt-based, or ISOFIX (IU)//i-Size (i-U) child restraint systems." as well as "The rear center seat is not equipped with lower anchor bars to support the installation of ISOFIX/i-Size child restraint systems." - so, as I read it (and I could have taken it wrong), the top anchor is irrelevant as the bottom anchors are not there.

Ref (For those that want to see it for themselves): https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_gb/GUID-BD88652C-E641-4889-B7DF-6A4E32727388.html

Reactions: KennethS
Interesting video, whilst I see the removal of the indicator stalk to be a massive own goal, I think it's possible it could be adapted to for driving in normal conditions when not turning the wheel? Seeing as your hands are on the wheel already... Roundabouts are a another issue though...

What I actually think is far worse, and you can spot this at around 5m25s in the video, is having to look at the screen to stop / select gear. This is something I just naturally do with 22 RW Model 3. I don't have to look anywhere and it's been far more convenient than a gear selector. Car parking and 3 point turns are a doddle. I hate having to look at the screen to do functions at the best of times. If the wipers randomly go off on Auto and I have to switch it off on the screen while driving - I find it really distracting. Of course on a test drive I will be able to get a better understanding, but it seems to me to be a really unnecessary concession removing the stalks. That rear screen would be a total waste on me, as it would never get used. I'd resent it more for draining the battery! :D The LED lights and the better suspension are a big bonus though...
There's another Carwow video that seems to confirm my fears about this, the new gear selector being a PITA. See 13m41s...

It's the second video I've seen where the use of the screen gear selector has nearly resulted in crashing into something. This is just on one test drive. It's almost inevitable to happen after more use. Such a massive, massive own goal removing the stalks. Just as with the Yolk and that stupid horn haptic button. Everything else looks so cool about the new Highland, such a shame...

Last edited:
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
It's the second video I've seen where the use of the screen gear selector has nearly resulted in crashing into something.

The current stalk is certainly wonderful for rapidly switching between D and R whilst still moving ... makes a multipoint turn a breeze. I'm thinking that using the screen is likely to require stopping between each move and also double checking that the swipe has been successfully registered as putting the car into the intended gear. hmm

The current stalk is certainly wonderful for rapidly switching between D and R whilst still moving ... makes a multipoint turn a breeze. I'm thinking that using the screen is likely to require stopping between each move and also double checking that the swipe has been successfully registered as putting the car into the intended gear. hmm
And the fact that this was conceived with LHD cars in mind with the vast majority of people being right-handed.
It's definitely catastrophic to do this in a RHD where you have to use your non-dominant hand on the touchscreen...

Reactions: Zilla91
I watched this video when it first came out, and you can see he is clearly rushing. Think about your phone - how many times does the swipe to uplock fail because you tried to swipe to quick.

At least with this there is a secondary gear selector, not that these 'journalists' make that clear, from the owners manual:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 11.01.45.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 11.01.45.png
    557.2 KB · Views: 21

Note that regardless of using a stalk or screen, the car makes a different chime for "D" vs. "R". People might need to pay more attention to those with the new system, but once you're used to the audible cues you shouldn't have to do any sort of visual double-checking (in theory).

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
And the fact that this was conceived with LHD cars in mind with the vast majority of people being right-handed.
It's definitely catastrophic to do this in a RHD where you have to use your non-dominant hand on the touchscreen...
100% agree. I am significantly right-hand dominant (or more specifically have very bad left hand dexterity). That said, it is the lack of turn indicator stalk rather than the drive selector that I think would be our main complaint with the new stalkless direction Tesla has gone.

At least with this there is a secondary gear selector, not that these 'journalists' make that clear
They have to pander to the mass and increase the number of clickbaits. Tesla bashing helps to improve the numbers :). On a different note, many times I have wrongly selected stalk gears and moved in opposite direction sometime dangerously - which I have rarely did with stick shifts or automatics with gear stick in the usual place. It is not all good where it is in the old car as people highlight.

While s3xy buttons might be a solution, you really shouldn’t need to spend nearly £300 to get around Tesla’s odd design decisions.
If the remainder of the package is the right car choice for us, I wouldn't be put off at all by the cost. Having owned quite a number of cars at various price-levels, I have yet to find one that is without flaw.

Do you realise that SEXY (enhauto.com) are developing levers?
I think they will sell heaps of them.
Yes it will be an additional cost but if Tesla had added £500 to the price of a Highland Model 3 and kept levers, would anyone have noticed?

I am certain if/when they offer this they will be high quality. I'm not sure I'd want to make the modification which among other things would probably be a more involved installation than I'm comfortable doing myself. I'm thinking a S3XY button on the back of each side of the steering wheel would work fine for us.