Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So how disappoionted are you that the D event wasn't also an X event?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have been disappointed about an X yesterday, that would be a great waste of publicity and air time on the news.
Spreading announcements over separate events brings much more free media coverage.
Now the media will talk a few days about the 0-60 in 3.2s and Autopilot.
6-8weeks later we will see a new Model X event, which will be covered by the media for a few days again.

I thought I would be disappointed.

Contrary to my expectations, I was very pleased with the event because of the information released. We now know that the Dual Motor system is complete and better than expected (crazy performance, better efficiency). We know that the automated driving hardware will be there and get better with software updates.

Elon was correct in that people had guessed the announcements, but not the magnitude of the advances. I expected a faster Model S and some basic driver assist stuff. What we saw went beyond that.

i was quite disappointed that there was no X reveal

HOWEVER !!! as the news started to sink in and i watched the videos i became more excited than ever that our X's will have this technology and perfomance too !!! OMG .. the wait is 10X worse now ..... UGGGGGHHHH ........

Perhaps I missed some of the event itinerary postings (there's only so much time I have to try to follow all this stuff :smile: ), but what I found odd about the event is it seemed that most of the invitations went to MX Sig reservation holders. Tesla's way to do more "anti-selling" of the X, perhaps?

Perhaps I missed some of the event itinerary postings (there's only so much time I have to try to follow all this stuff :smile: ), but what I found odd about the event is it seemed that most of the invitations went to MX Sig reservation holders. Tesla's way to do more "anti-selling" of the X, perhaps?

No. A way to get the people MOST likely to upgrade a front row seat with checkbooks out !! Smart.

Before last night, I was miffed that there wasn't going to be any new info on the X. Today, Not too disappointed. The more I think about it, it would have been too much to throw in given the other reveals. The X deserves it's own event. And I hope that is in November or December.

What we saw was a glimpse at the future of some really cool features getting us closer to autonomous driving. The fact the this will be in the X makes me smile and want to explore.

What I didn't expect was how much they could increase the performance (and efficiency) in the Model S by adding a second motor!

691 HP! whaaaa?
0-60 in 3.2 seconds! truly astounding!

The hard reality (as I went to tesla's website and configured a new P85D) is that the price for the X is going to be very high, particularly for anyone wanting the performance version of the X. I want a performance X, but the numbers are looking scary.

I find myself of two minds - it's not a simple black or white reaction for me.

I'm mostly excited - about the AWD, the driver assist stuff, and how far advanced it all looks. I'm of course assuming that it will all carry over into the Model X, and some of the sidebar conversations about getting this stuff as nailed as possible for the overall platform (both S and X) supports the idea that we'll see this in the X. That's an assumption we're all making, and we all believe it's a reasonable one.

I'm also excited / disappointed by how much faster Tesla is moving than it appears anybody else is moving in this otherwise slow moving industry (excited for how the investment will do, disappointed in how much lifting there is to do, and seemingly very few companies doing the lifting). I count Nissan and anybody else selling in volume as a lifter and to many geographies; companies building compliance cars for compliance markets don't count.

I'm disappointed that Model X wasn't revealed. I see the point about it meriting it's own day on stage and that does have value. Mostly my disappointment dissolves to nothing as it didn't directly affect me - I didn't get an early invite (got that cleared up separately - no issues), and I didn't go out of my way to fly down to not see the Model X. One lesson from this - if I think I'm going to a Model X event, I'm not going unless I know it's a Model X event. The disappointment arises from how I know I'd be feeling if I'd committed the time, money, and energy to be there for the Model X unveil and the Model X wasn't there. A reasonable conclusion (Model X reveal) from Sig Model X reservation holders being the early invitees (I've seen references to the VF interview - I still haven't seen it - maybe the announcement and invitations made it clear that Model X wasn't on the table, and as somebody not invited, I didn't see that part).

Then I'm left wondering about a Model X reveal. Is the finished look, doors, seating, and towing, enough to be the basis of a party? The finished car is sort of the same scale as AWD we saw last night. Are the other three as interesting as the driver assist? And does Tesla actually need two big ah-hah's to make one of these events really worthwhile? I don't really know, and I'm finding that my crystal ball is faulty trying to predict actual Tesla decisions :)

I'm looking forward to the Model X reveal. I sincerely hope it's announced that way ahead of time, as I think right now that I'm likely to make the effort to be there (more effort required than some, lots less than others - I'll be flying, or driving the Roadster for days each way). I expect it to be exciting and informative for me as a future Model X owner. I don't expect it to contain anything pointing to big changes in the auto industry (like say availability of a bigger battery - the falcon wing doors don't look industry changing to me).

I am disappointed but as long as they are still moving forward with X, it's all good. Don't want to see any further slippage in the delivery schedule though.

I can understand that those with Model X reservations may be anxious, but as a shareholder I prefer for deliveries to wait until the car unquestionably passes all conceivable tests with top scores. We would not want to follow General Motors in its parade of recalls. We would want potential customers to hear nothing but rave reviews from the first Model X owners, rather than complaints. Please try to be patient until the Model X appears under the spotlight in its own extravaganza. :smile:

I wasn't disappointed because I really didn't expect the Model X to be there. The Model X had it's unveiling two years ago. The final reveal for the Model S wasn't until test drives and first delivery events. I didn't expect it to be different this time around and I would expect Tesla to give the Model X it's full attention at it's own events. Dual drive is here, so now we know it isn't far off. We still got some great insights into what will be a part of the Model X's drivetrain design and other features. It gave us some pricing insights too.

Not disappointed at all. In fact, this is great news for me.

The only reason I wanted an X was for AWD; the S is a little big for me, and the X is much bigger than I want or need. The trailer hitch on the X is a nice side benefit, but I have an ICE "real" SUV (not CUV) with a good hitch that I will be keeping.

With that said, I am 99% sure that I will be getting an 85D instead of an X. The real question now is P85D or S85D... :biggrin: I just wish Sig purchasers got lifetime rights to the Sig colors for later purchases; seems fair. I so like Signature Red.

I was disappointed that there was no Model X beta -- then I realized there WAS a Model X beta shown, in a way. A beta of the drive train, control systems and driver assistance systems.

We owe a debt of gratitude to the purchasers of the S/D's!

Not disappointed at all. In fact, this is great news for me.

The only reason I wanted an X was for AWD; the S is a little big for me, and the X is much bigger than I want or need. The trailer hitch on the X is a nice side benefit, but I have an ICE "real" SUV (not CUV) with a good hitch that I will be keeping.

With that said, I am 99% sure that I will be getting an 85D instead of an X. The real question now is P85D or S85D... :biggrin: I just wish Sig purchasers got lifetime rights to the Sig colors for later purchases; seems fair. I so like Signature Red.

Yes, yes, and yes. My thoughts, exactly. I caught my Sig S looked at me accusingly today, knowing she had to compete with the 85D for my affections. But she brightened at the thought of her fabulous, unique, Sig Red exterior. She's still got it goin' on, and she knows it. :biggrin:

I was at the event and I was blown away by the autopilot during my test drive. The P85D drove itself back to the starting area thru a serpentine course at 30mph (reading the speed limit signs and auto-steered). No one I talked to was expecting model x or model 3 news because Elon clearly said at VF interview that there wouldn't be news on those cars. I don't get people sometimes. Maybe I'm just better informed than most.

To be fair, pretty much only the VF interview made it clear this wasn't about the X (and, I agree, it made it abundantly clear). The original invitation wasn't clear at all. Someone waiting for X, through the real delays that are there, and then getting an invite as a Model X reservation holder to an event (especially one with timing that even an informed person could have thought is related to the X) could easily have concluded otherwise. No? Perhaps we can't really expect everyone to keep on the pulse of the automotive bible that is Vanity Fair to temper their expectations.

Think of it from a laypersons perspective. You order a car, it gets delayed and then some. Finally the car company invites you to a special unveiling, close to the time the latest tidbits suggest your car is finally coming out. What would a reasonable person expect the event to be about? And would it be reasonable to expect that person to follow a publication from a completely unrelated field to keep up? Maybe, just maybe, the car company sending out those invites would have been wise to offer a little more information to let people make informed attendance decisions? I'm sure Tesla means well, so chalk this up to suggestions to improve communications.

All that said, disappointment over the lack of Model X news from Thursday can be quite warranted, no matter what the realistic and/or reasonable expectations evolved into. A closely informed person wouldn't have expected such news anymore after the VF interview, but that doesn't mean said person couldn't be reasonably disappointed by the fact, considering the delays and silence surrounding Model X.

While it probably has little to do with the D event and its content, the conclusion that Falcon Wings are behind the overall Model X delay probably isn't too far off the mark. Hopefully those are solved now and it is just a matter of another unveil in the weeks immediately ahead.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't disappointed because I really didn't expect the Model X to be there. The Model X had it's unveiling two years ago. The final reveal for the Model S wasn't until test drives and first delivery events. I didn't expect it to be different this time around and I would expect Tesla to give the Model X it's full attention at it's own events. Dual drive is here, so now we know it isn't far off. We still got some great insights into what will be a part of the Model X's drivetrain design and other features. It gave us some pricing insights too.

Well, Model S also had its unveiling years ago too. I guess if we are to follow your idea, they would have had to show these on the Model 3 to keep it fresh.

Showing these features on the Model X - or both on Model S and X - would have been equally warranted as showing them on the Model S. Or perhaps even more so, considering the delays surrounding Model X.

In reality, it would have been trivial for Tesla to actually inform us of those Model X details alongside the Model S details, assuming those details are ready. Either they are not ready or they had a marketing reason not to.

My main disappointment is with how this D event has upended TMC, with dozens of threads all about the same thing, and many meta-discussions about how upset or happy or this or that with the event or the new D versions of the Model S, etc. It's all gotten old really fast.

The reality is, Tesla is a tech company. They move fast. They innovate quickly. Their pace outpaces the historical pace of the ICE automotive world and its annual model upgrades (if any), dealer networks, etc. Dealers are not the only thing being disrupted by Tesla. We the buyers are too. Our expectations are. The intervals we're used to are being compressed. We can't keep up.

If you were not disappointed this time, you will be next time, or the time after that (you know, just after they deliver your P85D and they announce the P110D, etc).

It almost seems like the way to play the Tesla game is to a) first play the TSLA stock market game as aggressively as Tesla's playing the automotive disruption game, and b) commence an ongoing lease / trade-in / lease cycle so you always have the new shiny thing that comes out, using TSLA stock market winnings to pay for the leases. As long as (a) stays ahead of (b) you might keep up with Tesla.

That way you wind up "subscribing" to Tesla, which may in the long run be the only sane way to deal with Tesla without disappointment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood
I just wish Sig purchasers got lifetime rights to the Sig colors for later purchases; seems fair. I so like Signature Red.
I've floated this idea on the forum before. ;)
I have thought about this numerous times too.
I am really looking forward to my P85D but will really miss my Sig red with white interior.
Tesla really should have offered some new unique colors for the D. Same choices for over 2 years!