Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So.... I rejected my collection car today :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, buddy! And you're spot on... I knew if I drove it home I'd be constantly irritated by the fact 4 major parts of the car all need to be replaced and likely won't be for another 2-3 weeks (best case scenario).

I had 2 issues with mine. Foggy rear lights and missaligned frunk lid. They fixed the lights, but the lid could never be perfect.... They tried 3 times.

Problem is with the way the car is made, there is very little adjustment available for all body panels and if the steel frame underneath is slightly off, that's your lot. That's why there issuch big variation with 3s on the front. I'm sure a proper dedicated etailer would probably get it to perfection, but I recon a Tesla SC technitian is not given the time to tinker with it for days...

So basically, if you see an alignment issue, be sure you can live with it - it might be partially corrected, but it will never be perfect.

This car front also has a very easily visible problems. They should really re-design the front to be more adjustable. The light clusters have the same issue, they are bolted straight to the body with very little wiggle.

• Informative
Reactions: Lucanesque
The fact that there are still cars being offered to customers with numerous obvious faults is an absolute disgrace after three years of production. The £7.5k Hyundai i10 I bought 5 years ago was delivered with zero faults of any kind. Tesla needs to up its game here or there will be big problems ahead. More and more people picking up their Teslas now won’t be “fanboys” willing to take a faulty car and then have return trips for alignment to be sorted or panels resprayed so will refuse delivery. And quite right too. I was lucky, I just had a window rattle, a whistling door mirror and later a clunk from the rear on acceleration. Three SC trips sorted them. By contrast my previous car, an BMW m135i, was flawless on delivery and in the four years I had it was faultless.

I wonder what PDI quality is like in other countries and to what extent do the same problems occur in other markets - in particular, is this more a RHD/UK problem?

I think the consumer laws in the US for instance are pretty strict, so what is the experience there like, also, how do the German consumers react?

I think PDI is too late... they should be building them better and QAing them and sorting them before shipping.

There's no way the delivery centres can cope with hundreds of cars turning up all needing hours of work. It'd not be so bad if it were spread around hundreds of dealers, but it's concentrated.

But I agree, it's already a different buying experience (no sales people, all online), drop lots of quality issue in the mix and they're going to struggle to sell to normal people who aren't tesla fans.

I picked my M3 LR from Southampton on 8th September. Went through my comprehensive checklist and the only issue I observed at the time was a misalignment of the rear passenger door. Booked a service appointment which I was initially told would be handled by their mobile service team but subsequently got told I need to take it to Bristol SC on 15th October which is a 200 round trip for me from Poole, Dorset. However I can live with this inconvenience initially as I am assured nearer SC’s should be coming online in the coming weeks / months at Winchester and Dorchester.

I have also noticed intermittent rattling / squeaking sounds coming from under the dashboard on the passenger side. Is this normal and should just accept it’s just how they are put together? When I added this to be looked at as part of my SC visit next month they said I needed to agree to a £72 charge to cover the cost of investigation in case it’s not covered by warranty!!! Seriously I hope they are joking!

I think PDI is too late... they should be building them better and QAing them and sorting them before shipping.

Agree with this whole-heartedly. So many of the comments in this thread are things that should never have made it out of the factory. I know that Tesla is seen by many as a software company that makes cars, but that doesn't mean the product they deliver should be low / variable quality

Reactions: ChrisA70 and JS77
I was wondering if one of the problems regarding build is the quality of employees available in the Freemont area.
It is bang in the centre of Silicon Valley which has a very high cost of living in that area and you would expect blue collar workers would struggle to afford anywhere close.

There has clearly been a management decision (from the top?) to ship completed cars without any form of quality checking and to leave any form of inspection to the buyer.

Some problems such as moisture in rear lights is common on other marques along with transport damage (my ex wife had an Evoke delivery delayed when hers was badly damaged en route to the dealership yet we are less than 50 miles from the manufacturers).
Mis-aligned panels reaching the buyer is plain stupid.

Its just a pity that cars are sold from the day of delivery and not prepped first.

Reactions: ChrisA70
I was wondering if one of the problems regarding build is the quality of employees available in the Freemont area.

That may be the initial cause, or bad tooling, or design that's not able to cope... but the reason they end up on the ship is simple and fast becoming unacceptable - they clearly do not QA and fix them to an acceptable standard.

Humans will always make mistakes, the QA process should sort most of those. And the PDI this side of shipping then should both be able to and actually do deal with the odd transit damage/think missed.

From what's being reported though the QA process simply isn't good enough. Expecting PDI to fix it with the centralised distribution they have isn't going to work.

Sorry to hear of your experience OP. It must have been a hard decision but like everyone has said you did the right thing.
Tesla must know people will end up taking deliveries of their cars regardless of condition to later "fix" at the centres after delivery. This has been a trend which initially I put down to 'a growing company'. We are requested to sign the confirmation of delivery prior to our delivery appointment. Needless to say, I didn't until I had seen the car. However the price of the car coupled with how long we have to wait for it, we shouldn't have to do our own PDI checks.

The staff I interacted with at both collection, and my 'follow up' were indeed very helpful and it's a shame the quality lets it down. You were very fortunate to get one to go over the car with you. I suspect once Giga Berlin opens it will be a different story altogether. By that time though, I suspect the competition would have caught up.

edited to add:

Please do not get deterred to take delivery of another one as forums generally get the negativity, and there are still plenty of us very happy with our cars.

Reactions: JS77 and Rustybkts
You can tweak the boot and bonnet a bit with the rubber stoppers. Could be that some alignment problems are down to one side being tighter or looser than the other. Left to right misalignment however certainly requires breaking out socket sets.

The boot stoppers in particular need to be high enough that it doesn't hit the bumper and mark the paint.

You can tweak the boot and bonnet a bit with the rubber stoppers. Could be that some alignment problems are down to one side being tighter or looser than the other. Left to right misalignment however certainly requires breaking out socket sets.

The boot stoppers in particular need to be high enough that it doesn't hit the bumper and mark the paint.

On my car the boot lid sits flush with the glass and has a smooth transition.

I do feel that the boot bottom lip is slightly too long and although misses the bumper, it is only by around a mm.

I wish I had done this with our second Model 3, my performance. My wife's had issues too, but mine was rife. They have fixed some of them, but I continue to have issues and I have had three service appointments where they are unable to replicate the issues (yet they do exist, and annoy the crap out of me). I really should have rejected it on delivery day and I regret not doing it. I, like you, was just too excited to have my car and entrusted them to fix.

TL;DR at the end...

Woke up today feeling like Xmas morning with a collection planned at Bham. Everything went smoothly and I have to say the staff onsite were all incredibly welcoming, friendly and professional - very impressed by all the staff I talked to today.

At first glance, my M3P looked absolutely perfect with that perfect California shine in the mid-morning sun :p Was feeling very pleased about my decision to purchase.

Then came the first knock... a deep scuff on the rear bumper where the paint had been taken down to the metal. It was about the size of a 5p coin so noticeable, but not the end of the world... quickly noted by the staff and I was advised they would probably just book a service and have the entire rear bumper replaced.

Ok, fine... but since I'm now inspecting the back of the car, I notice the boot lid is sitting proud from the rear window. Checked against some other M3s next to me, and mine was about 5-6mm out, with others being almost perfectly flush. The panel gaps on the boot lid were also horrendous.

Meanwhile, at the same time, my Wife notices both rear door frames were slightly misaligned... nowhere as bad as others that I've seen, but again, noticeable. Ok, so now we're up to 4 items and I've not even sat in the car yet...! Tesla onsite technician came out to inspect and agreed that the boot lid, and rear doors all needed aligning but "were in the tolerance range" - that old chestnut! (he was very good though, so can't knock him)

Made our way into the car and everything was better, but did spot what looked like a thumbprint on the Rear headliner near the coat hook... again, nothing major, but against an otherwise flawless roof lining, noticeable.

Pulled out my inspection sheet to start ticking things off ... I was still giddy with excitement but I now had this nagging feeling this was a dreaded "Friday car". I know it's illogical, but I just got the feeling this build hadn't received any love during production! I stepped out to inspect the frunk...

Well, as it turns out, I was so distracted by the fact my car had the new frunk/froot design (which I think looks much better btw), that I completely forgot to look at the underside of the bonnet.... it wasn't until the same technician who was helping me earlier just happened to walk past and let out an audible "ooohhff"! He pointed out that entire sections of the underside of the bonnet hadn't been painted, and worse still, the two corners of the bonnet where a small rubber screw is housed were just exposed metal! He advised me immediately that the entire hood wood need to be repainted or likely replaced... at which point my wife noticed one headlight had a rather large blemish on it. Hard to explain it but it looked like when you melt plastic and you're left with a clump of hardened plastic, and then you try and file it down.... which now meant, this "post collection" service apt would end up having to replace the rear bumper, bonnet and headlight. :(

Believe it or not, at this point, I was still considering taking the car.... mainly on the assurance the staff were giving me that they would "pull out the stops" until everything was sorted. The technician even advised putting his name on the service notes so he could personally address it. As stated above, the staff were superb.

But then, since there were so many items being listed, the technician did his own walk around of the car and together we spotted that the windshield was (a) not aligned correctly but (b) on the driver side, as it approach the roof, the actual glass was "deformed" for lack of a better way to describe it, which he said would "definitely require a new windshield". The seals between the 3 glass sections were also all over the place compared to other models on the car park. At this point, both the technician and the sales rep said how disappointed they were this car had been allowed to pass QA and actually advised me not to take the car (secretly, I was still considering it, but Wife has made her mind up to reject it 3-4 items prior!)

So, after all the build up and excitement, we rejected the car and Tesla are going to try and find another one for me. I have to say, as disappointed as I am, I'm also frankly a little relieved that the technician took his time to help inspect the car with me. They see so many M3s every day so it's useful to have them "on side" and being frank and candid about the condition of the car. I did note that another M3P had a very misaligned bootlid, but on otherwise flawless windshield and roof, so it did get me thinking about how many new owners check the fundamentals before driving off.

I did talk to one other new owner who accepted his car but also had to book a service apt to address 3-4 small items (mostly panel alignment and paint issues) - he was also considering rejecting but ultimately, as the defects were mostly cosmetic, he accepted the car and had them log the issues to repair later.

My biggest takeaway from today is that Tesla have some wonderfully dedicated staff, but the build quality of the product is severely compromising the brand. One one hand, it speaks volumes to the desirability of their product that despite all these defects, I was still considering accepting the car... but on the other... it was frankly a little embarrassing that an almost £60k car had such misaligned panels and missing paintwork.

Fingers crossed my next allocated car is a "Monday car" ;)

TL;DR:

Rejected my car upon collection today due to the following issues:

- scuff on rear bumper down to the metal (new bumper required)
- misaligned bootlid, sitting proud from rear window
- misaligned rear door window frames
- smudge/thumbprint inside headliner (very minor as could be cleaned I'm sure)
- missing paint under the frunk lid/bonnet (including areas of exposed metal)
- weird but prominent mark on passenger side headlight (including scratches around the same headlight)
- windshield misaligned and slightly deformed on driver side

Tesla staff were very helpful and apologetic and are currently looking for another car to assign to me. I strongly advise everyone takes a checklist when they collect their car - half of the items above I wouldn't have noticed without one as you do get overwhelmed with excitement and tend to overlook things.
TL;DR at the end...

Woke up today feeling like Xmas morning with a collection planned at Bham. Everything went smoothly and I have to say the staff onsite were all incredibly welcoming, friendly and professional - very impressed by all the staff I talked to today.

At first glance, my M3P looked absolutely perfect with that perfect California shine in the mid-morning sun :p Was feeling very pleased about my decision to purchase.

Then came the first knock... a deep scuff on the rear bumper where the paint had been taken down to the metal. It was about the size of a 5p coin so noticeable, but not the end of the world... quickly noted by the staff and I was advised they would probably just book a service and have the entire rear bumper replaced.

Ok, fine... but since I'm now inspecting the back of the car, I notice the boot lid is sitting proud from the rear window. Checked against some other M3s next to me, and mine was about 5-6mm out, with others being almost perfectly flush. The panel gaps on the boot lid were also horrendous.

Meanwhile, at the same time, my Wife notices both rear door frames were slightly misaligned... nowhere as bad as others that I've seen, but again, noticeable. Ok, so now we're up to 4 items and I've not even sat in the car yet...! Tesla onsite technician came out to inspect and agreed that the boot lid, and rear doors all needed aligning but "were in the tolerance range" - that old chestnut! (he was very good though, so can't knock him)

Made our way into the car and everything was better, but did spot what looked like a thumbprint on the Rear headliner near the coat hook... again, nothing major, but against an otherwise flawless roof lining, noticeable.

Pulled out my inspection sheet to start ticking things off ... I was still giddy with excitement but I now had this nagging feeling this was a dreaded "Friday car". I know it's illogical, but I just got the feeling this build hadn't received any love during production! I stepped out to inspect the frunk...

Well, as it turns out, I was so distracted by the fact my car had the new frunk/froot design (which I think looks much better btw), that I completely forgot to look at the underside of the bonnet.... it wasn't until the same technician who was helping me earlier just happened to walk past and let out an audible "ooohhff"! He pointed out that entire sections of the underside of the bonnet hadn't been painted, and worse still, the two corners of the bonnet where a small rubber screw is housed were just exposed metal! He advised me immediately that the entire hood wood need to be repainted or likely replaced... at which point my wife noticed one headlight had a rather large blemish on it. Hard to explain it but it looked like when you melt plastic and you're left with a clump of hardened plastic, and then you try and file it down.... which now meant, this "post collection" service apt would end up having to replace the rear bumper, bonnet and headlight. :(

Believe it or not, at this point, I was still considering taking the car.... mainly on the assurance the staff were giving me that they would "pull out the stops" until everything was sorted. The technician even advised putting his name on the service notes so he could personally address it. As stated above, the staff were superb.

But then, since there were so many items being listed, the technician did his own walk around of the car and together we spotted that the windshield was (a) not aligned correctly but (b) on the driver side, as it approach the roof, the actual glass was "deformed" for lack of a better way to describe it, which he said would "definitely require a new windshield". The seals between the 3 glass sections were also all over the place compared to other models on the car park. At this point, both the technician and the sales rep said how disappointed they were this car had been allowed to pass QA and actually advised me not to take the car (secretly, I was still considering it, but Wife has made her mind up to reject it 3-4 items prior!)

So, after all the build up and excitement, we rejected the car and Tesla are going to try and find another one for me. I have to say, as disappointed as I am, I'm also frankly a little relieved that the technician took his time to help inspect the car with me. They see so many M3s every day so it's useful to have them "on side" and being frank and candid about the condition of the car. I did note that another M3P had a very misaligned bootlid, but on otherwise flawless windshield and roof, so it did get me thinking about how many new owners check the fundamentals before driving off.

I did talk to one other new owner who accepted his car but also had to book a service apt to address 3-4 small items (mostly panel alignment and paint issues) - he was also considering rejecting but ultimately, as the defects were mostly cosmetic, he accepted the car and had them log the issues to repair later.

My biggest takeaway from today is that Tesla have some wonderfully dedicated staff, but the build quality of the product is severely compromising the brand. One one hand, it speaks volumes to the desirability of their product that despite all these defects, I was still considering accepting the car... but on the other... it was frankly a little embarrassing that an almost £60k car had such misaligned panels and missing paintwork.

Fingers crossed my next allocated car is a "Monday car" ;)

TL;DR:

Rejected my car upon collection today due to the following issues:

- scuff on rear bumper down to the metal (new bumper required)
- misaligned bootlid, sitting proud from rear window
- misaligned rear door window frames
- smudge/thumbprint inside headliner (very minor as could be cleaned I'm sure)
- missing paint under the frunk lid/bonnet (including areas of exposed metal)
- weird but prominent mark on passenger side headlight (including scratches around the same headlight)
- windshield misaligned and slightly deformed on driver side

Tesla staff were very helpful and apologetic and are currently looking for another car to assign to me. I strongly advise everyone takes a checklist when they collect their car - half of the items above I wouldn't have noticed without one as you do get overwhelmed with excitement and tend to overlook things.

Do you worry about the flaws you cannot see?

Am I right in thinking we are only talking about QC / PDI problems on the Model 3 variants here? I'm seriously considering a new Model X and the ones I've seen in Service Centres look very nice, not that I went over them in detail.

7ED63C91-8D37-42D3-A666-EB3FE49849EB.jpeg
I'm assuming a car costing the thick end of £100k gets PDI'd quite thoroughly, even if it was made in Fremont.

Am I right in thinking we are only talking about QC / PDI problems on the Model 3 variants here? I'm seriously considering a new Model X and the ones I've seen in Service Centres look very nice, not that I went over them in detail.

View attachment 591410 I'm assuming a car costing the thick end of £100k gets PDI'd quite thoroughly, even if it was made in Fremont.

Well, it seems the Model 3's (at least the one I've ordered and paid for and never seen) don't get PDI'd at all so I wouldn't hold my breath on a Model X. It just seems like a big risk at this point to chance it.

There’s no reason to assume cost is a factor in Tesla UK vehicle prep for collection.

They just need to work harder at eliminating bad experiences for some people.

They do, right? ;)

This forum has generated some good stats, thank you to whomever was involved in the order tracking spreadsheet. According to self-reported experiences of forum users, 21% of Tesla Model 3's had to spend one or more nights in a service centre in the first 30 days.

And a considerable number spent 6+ days.
2020-09-23_19-44-53.png

View attachment 591410 I'm assuming a car costing the thick end of £100k gets PDI'd quite thoroughly, even if it was made in Fremont.
Well actually, European Model S & X are part assembled & shipped by container, then reassembled in Tilberg with more thorough QA checks so you should be fine.

I've mentioned this before, but I bought three new Toyotas, from two different dealerships, between 2005 and 2013. None had a single defect, not one. The cars were, as far as I could tell, faultless. For several years I was on a Toyota group, and my experience of not having any faults at all seemed pretty normal, it wasn't as full of comments about issues as this forum. Most conversations were about details of how the cars behaved, fuel economy, best tyres to fit, etc, rather than about problems. Funnily enough, the minicab we used to get from the station to West Drayton to collect my car was a Toyota, an old one, around 2006/7. The driver was extolling the reliability, saying that at after 150,000 miles the car was still fine, with no faults and only needed routine servicing.

Right now, Tesla are relying on the fact that the brand has a cult following, and that they don't need to advertise at all, because they are selling more cars than they can manufacture. I fear that may change once this growing reputation for poor quality gets widely known, especially if one or two of the other big manufacturers comes up with a serious alternative to buying a Tesla. Much as the performance is extremely good, there's only so long that people will continue to overlook the quality issues "just because it's a Tesla".