Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I tried summon.... disastrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear this happened.

Unfortunately, Tesla is not going to do anything for you. 😥
Summon is still in Beta, and the user is responsible for monitoring the safety of the vehicle and property at all times, during Summon.

This is one of the many reason I have "hold to summon" enabled for safety. If it does anything funny, or get too close to something, I let go of the button and the car immediately stops what it's doing.

---
As for fixing the damages, your auto insurance should repair the vehicle, and your homeowners insurance should repair the garage. However, I think in both cases you will be deemed "at fault", so they'll likely raise your insurace rate at your next renewal.

Last edited:
Note that summon uses the ultrasonics (no cameras). Those are located around the front and around the back. It knows nothing of the sides. Ultrasonics are also subject to weird reflections and possibly seeing through some items.

only use under careful supervision.

I've found summon useful to move it back and forth while washing or cleaning the car, shoveling snow and more but I'm standing at the nose of the car, where I can see both sides and the rear with my finger on the button ready to release it and stop the car if needed.

Backing out of a tight garage seems to work better than pulling in as you might have experienced and as others have said about the ultrasonic sensors having a hard time seeing narrow objects.

I've found summon useful to move it back and forth while washing or cleaning the car, shoveling snow and more but I'm standing at the nose of the car, where I can see both sides and the rear with my finger on the button ready to release it and stop the car if needed.

Backing out of a tight garage seems to work better than pulling in as you might have experienced and as others have said about the ultrasonic sensors having a hard time seeing narrow objects.
Pretty much how I use summon, in and out of the garage only. Does come in handy since my daughter is in a wheel chair so reduces the number of times I have to get in and out of the car.

I do the summon thing all the time with my golf buddies. While they walk out to their cars to load their bags, I just call my Y over. Their jaws drop, priceless. LOL! One caveat is that I have to find a space close enough to the bag drop area or it won't work (This is by design so that you can keep an eye on your vehicle at all times).

Disclaimer: there have been occasions where summon will get lost coming to me and do weird things. As mentioned by others, DO NOT let the car do it all by itself. Always have your finger on the summon until it's safe to release.

...Unfortunately, Tesla is not going to do anything for you. 😥
Summon is still in Beta, and the user is responsible for monitoring the safety of the vehicle and property at all times, during Summon...

On the contrary, the artilcle clearly says that Tesla does pay for Summon accident:

"The owner of the car voiced the issue at the dealership seeking compensation for the damage. The company refused to take liability for the incident and said that the feature is still in the Beta phase. However, the company agreed to pay for the damage, following the proviso that the incident was a collision and not a malfunction."

• Disagree
Reactions: Dan D.
I plan on using summon, smart and otherwise, a lot once the FSD beta gets to me and my car then has a 3D view of the world around it rather than the 2D it has now.

I have used smart summon once, in a not very crowded parking lot, and it went well for the first half, then the car turned into a parked car. In retrospect it may have been turning into the parking space next to that car but from my vantage it looked like an imminent collision. Haven't used it since other than to move the car forward or backward in the garage, and I always use "hold to summon."

On the contrary, the artilcle clearly says that Tesla does pay for Summon accident:

"The owner of the car voiced the issue at the dealership seeking compensation for the damage. The company refused to take liability for the incident and said that the feature is still in the Beta phase. However, the company agreed to pay for the damage, following the proviso that the incident was a collision and not a malfunction."

That article implies Tesla pays for the accident. In fact Tesla did not pay, the insurance company paid, and it counts on his insurance as a collision. At least that's how I read the story.

I believe the article misquoted an earlier article: Tesla Valet Mode MALFUNCTIONS; Auto Pilot Drives Into A Pole

The owner of the car is a software developer himself. He is very intrigued by Tesla products and technology in general but on this occasion, he was visibly disappointed. He approached the dealership to voice his protest. Unfortunately, the company [Tesla] refused to take responsibility for the incident. He was asked if he was in the car when this happened to which he replies “No”. They further told him that this feature is in the Beta Phase and the company is not liable for this.

Furthermore, the insurance company did acknowledge the incident and offered to give out the damages but under the condition that this incident is termed as “collision” and not malfunctioning of the Tesla valet mode.