Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I went to convert my Model X order to a Model S..but then

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model X 90D on order (no VIN yet - July delivery..hopefully!). However, after reading the various threads on this forum for the last few weeks, I admit that I freaked out a little bit. The Model X is going to replace a BMW X5 which has proven to be very dependable and I did not think I was prepared for the potential multiple trips to the SC to get things "fixed". We are pretty set on going all electric (our other car is a Nissan Leaf - Also very dependable!) and so I configured a Model S 90D and went to the Marietta, GA Tesla store to speak with my DS and get my order converted to a Model S.

The folks at the Tesla store were great (as always) and the DS mentioned that I should be able to convert my order if I want to since no VIN was assigned so far. Since I had never actually driven a Model X before and since the store had a couple of cars available for a test drive, I thought I might as well test drive it since my mind was pretty set on switching to a Model S.

However ... after driving the Model X and actually experiencing the car, there is NO WAY I am converting my order :) Now I know why early owners who in spite of suffering through these build issues still continue to say that this is by far one of the best cars they have driven. The Tesla store had an early VIN (around 1k ish) and a late VIN (i think 6k ish) and the DS showed me a few things that look much more refined now (door alignment, third row seat finish etc..) as Tesla continues to improve the QC and tweak the software/hardware components.

Again, given how early we are into the ramp-up process, I expect my car (whenever I get it) to have issues that I will have to deal with. I might also opt to finance the car through Tesla and get the buy-back guarantee just in case (my initial plan was to finance it through a different credit union). However, I am confident Tesla will get this right. They may not build another car with FWD:p, but they will continue to build, improve and refine the Model X to a point where it will be at least as dependable as the Model S!

So now the wait continues.. :)

I have a Model X 90D on order (no VIN yet - July delivery..hopefully!). However, after reading the various threads on this forum for the last few weeks, I admit that I freaked out a little bit. The Model X is going to replace a BMW X5 which has proven to be very dependable and I did not think I was prepared for the potential multiple trips to the SC to get things "fixed". We are pretty set on going all electric (our other car is a Nissan Leaf - Also very dependable!) and so I configured a Model S 90D and went to the Marietta, GA Tesla store to speak with my DS and get my order converted to a Model S.

The folks at the Tesla store were great (as always) and the DS mentioned that I should be able to convert my order if I want to since no VIN was assigned so far. Since I had never actually driven a Model X before and since the store had a couple of cars available for a test drive, I thought I might as well test drive it since my mind was pretty set on switching to a Model S.

However ... after driving the Model X and actually experiencing the car, there is NO WAY I am converting my order :) Now I know why early owners who in spite of suffering through these build issues still continue to say that this is by far one of the best cars they have driven. The Tesla store had an early VIN (around 1k ish) and a late VIN (i think 6k ish) and the DS showed me a few things that look much more refined now (door alignment, third row seat finish etc..) as Tesla continues to improve the QC and tweak the software/hardware components.

Again, given how early we are into the ramp-up process, I expect my car (whenever I get it) to have issues that I will have to deal with. I might also opt to finance the car through Tesla and get the buy-back guarantee just in case (my initial plan was to finance it through a different credit union). However, I am confident Tesla will get this right. They may not build another car with FWD:p, but they will continue to build, improve and refine the Model X to a point where it will be at least as dependable as the Model S!

So now the wait continues.. :)

Im on the same boat waiting for my X. A couple times went to the store looked at the S to change the order but then would sit in it, then sit on the X and the X is clearly a much more confortable all around better car. I love the falcon wings actually more afraid of having issues with the front doors than the wings to be honest.

Sounds about right. I'm afraid of the doors, but kinda looking forward to them, too - and I decided to order the car despite the doors after I got a test drive (had just about convinced myself to buy a CPO S before the drive...)

I'm also hoping for a July delivery, even - the public facing order sure continued to promise July delivery for a couple weeks after mine confirmed, but all I get from my DS is "not anytime soon, we'll let you know when we know something." :-/

Reactions: passcore
Well summarized. I, too, have reservations about the over the top technology which, on the other hand, is what also drew me to to car. Perhaps too much tech even for a geek like me, and I worry about early and late reliability issues. However, for me (with a family of 6) the S isn't equivalent. Congrats on staying on the course and like you, I have faith that Tesla will continue to optimize the car and address these reliability issues. Let's hope we get good ones!

Despite a door latch issue that was promptly fixed by tesla, I believe this is a truly amazing car. I wouldn't trade my order in for anything. The ride is as comfortable as my wife's lexus and the technology is outstanding. My friend's S is not nearly as nice for trips more than an hour in the car. Feel good about keeping your reservation

We thought about doing the same but decided to go with the X because, as Elon says, Tesla will probably never produce another product like this again and another manufacturer will definitely not. Also, almost everyone who has one just raves about the car despite the issues. There's something right about the product if people love it that much.

I had the chance back in December to try both the Model X and Model S out too (no driving). Spent about an hour pouring over the Model S and trying everything (air suspension, moving the next gen seats, getting in and out, visibility ...). Then a few minutes later I tried out the Model X. Took about 5 minutes to determine it was leagues ahead of the Model S in terms of ingress/egress, comfort, visibility, security, interior and other creature comfort features. That cinched it for me. Oh. And the FWDs.

We drove a MS85 for 32k miles and 18 months. When the new MS was released we called and checked to see if we could switch from our MX res to the new MS90D, DS said it was too late unless we wanted to give up our $5k deposit as we had already confirmed. I am so glad we could not switch. The X is so damn comfortable and all around the best vehicle I have ever drove.

As great as the Model S is, once you've been driving the X it will be difficult to go without it
To each their own, but we've got both and I definitely prefer my S over the X when driving alone or as a couple. When we've got the kids and their friends the X gets the nod. Cabin spaciousness and the fact that we can have forward-facing kids in the third row is a plus. But if we have 7 people, we still have to take the S...

Reactions: newtman
Excellent choice. We are a family of 3 and after a month and a half with our Model X (with 10 days of a loaner Model S) I would never buy a Model S if you have kids in car seats. First off Model S is so much more difficult to get in and out of that when I had the loaner Model S I almost drove my LEAF. The only difference was the autopilot for my boring 30 minute 8 mile commute. The LEAF would have been easier to load and unload our son than Model S, but of course Model X is the best vehicle ever for children in car seats. If you need to use the third row Model X wins as well, and if you have 7 passengers and you don't want them to suffer heat exhaustion you need Model X as well.

Reactions: madodel
It's interesting that since the launch of the Model S the only real competition for it is the X if you want a large comfortable family BEV that can travel long distance. Yes the X is a different vehicle and we all have different needs, some of which will be filled by one model more than another.

I am surprised that the big automakers are still some way off with a suitable response. In the meantime I await (im)-patiently to get my Model X :)