Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So many people buying powerball tickets...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poorer people spend more on the lottery because its the only way they see they can get rich. Most rich people don't feel the need to buy tickets because they are already rich.

On probability you can reduce it quite a bit. For instance it wont be , 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 2,4,6,8,10,12 etc

Can a UK person buy a ticket?

If not the following are the numbers I would have chosen so if they don't come up I will feel ok.

8 14 27 55 61 [6]

Poorer people spend more on the lottery because its the only way they see they can get rich. Most rich people don't feel the need to buy tickets because they are already rich.

On probability you can reduce it quite a bit. For instance it wont be , 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 2,4,6,8,10,12 etc

If not the following are the numbers I would have chosen so if they don't come up I will feel ok.

8 14 27 55 61 [6]

There is also the rationale of picking unwanted numbers like 13 and higher numbers because if you win, there is a smaller chance of someone else also winning, and you having to split the pot. Because most people use "Quick Pick" getting random numbers on their tickets, this advantage is swamped out.

8 14 27 55 61 [6]
There is one site that gets around the rules by having a person buy the tickets, scan them in and send the person an image, then if win they email you announcing they've won. A guy from Iraq won a lottery in Oregon last month. You can do a web search. Their site has been having problems due to deman though, I checked out of curiosity.

8 14 27 55 61 [6]

If you think the odds of 1 2 3 4 5 6 are any different than any other combination then you need to go back to math class. Now the expected value of some numbers might be different because the distribution of numbers played might increase or decrease the chances of you sharing the jackpot if you win.

...I had to park at a gas pump to get one myself!!!

I visited the local gas station last night for the first time for exactly the same reason. It does feel kind of odd driving a Tesla to a gas station. It also felt a little odd buying a lottery ticket since I took a really good probability class in college. But I couldn't resist getting an extremely small chance to win the first billion dollar jackpot in the history of the planet (assuming it goes up a bit from the current 930 million cash value). Maybe I'll buy another lottery ticket when it gets up to 10 billion.

That's not how probability works.

Theoretically I know its the same but those set of numbers will not come up:rolleyes:. I would bet $1m that 1,2,3,4,5, would not come up but I wouldn't bet it on a random combination of numbers not coming up even though the maths says its the same probability.

Hey with $1b you could invest in Faraday Futures...

Will it rollover if no one wins? Could it get to $10b?

I visited the local gas station last night for the first time for exactly the same reason. It does feel kind of odd driving a Tesla to a gas station.
Did you at least wash your windows? :smile:

I bought my first Powerball ticket today. Being a math guy, people know I would never buy one, however, I once said, "I'll buy one if it ever hit a billion dollars..."
This, of course, doesn't make sense - in reality, what's the difference if you win $250M or $1B?

Theoretically I know its the same but those set of numbers will not come up:rolleyes:. I would bet $1m that 1,2,3,4,5, would not come up but I wouldn't bet it on a random combination of numbers not coming up even though the maths says its the same probability.

Hey with $1b you could invest in Faraday Futures...

Will it rollover if no one wins? Could it get to $10b?
One article I read said that they're predicting that only 80% of possible number combinations will be chosen for tonight's draw. So there's a 20% chance nobody wins.

I've decided if I win I'm going to ask SpaceX if they can put a Lunar Module on the Falcon 9 and send me to the moon and back. I want to walk on the moon and collect some rocks, plant a flag, maybe a Tesla flag, pick up the plaque with Richard Nixon's name on it and either throw it into the sun or bury it, generally do the tourist thing, and then come home.

Of course people will ask how you made your money if you win. Got to come up with an excuse, you don't want to admit you won the lottery. I suppose share trading would be the easiest to get away with.

Did you at least wash your windows? :smile:

I bought my first Powerball ticket today. Being a math guy, people know I would never buy one, however, I once said, "I'll buy one if it ever hit a billion dollars..."
This, of course, doesn't make sense - in reality, what's the difference if you win $250M or $1B?
With a billion dollars you can take care of your family a few generations ahead. Unless your kids or grandkids grow up spoiled and squander the money.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course people will ask how you made your money if you win. Got to come up with an excuse, you don't want to admit you won the lottery. I suppose share trading would be the easiest to get away with.
I'd keep it a secret, tell no one, answer no one!
Id definitely spread the wealth within the family but I wouldn't tell them where the money came from.

4 friends and I have been going in on tickets for the last couple drawings. Two reasons to go in on the group buy:

- Lots of entertainment value in the text messages going back and forth between us. That alone is worth it.
- Insurance against a lifetime of regret on the minuscule chance that they would win without you. :)

With the new rules for the PowerBall with more balls in play (odds increased from ~170 million to ~290 million to 1), they've pretty much guaranteed that we'll see these billion dollar lottery winnings on a "regular" basis. Pity the person that wins the next jackpot and "could have had" the bigger jackpot from this drawing.

How to read your losing lottery ticket. - Imgur