TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

So Much For Model S's Transported In Only Closed Trucks...

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by brianstorms, Jul 25, 2013.

1. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

What I've been reading in the forums here lately is that Tesla is insisting on carriers delivering its new cars in closed trucks to protect the exterior of the vehicles during transport. Am I right about that?

Assuming so, imagine my surprise the other day when I happened on this open truck on I-40 east of Flagstaff in Arizona.

Now, the truck was careening along at more than 75mph in the blazing Arizona sun, and I was hurtling alongside it in a wimpy Camry trying to a) catch up and b) steer with one hand and c) take pictures through bug-encrusted car windows with my iPhone all at the same time (for the good of and education of the greater Tesla community, you understand). Photos came out about as bad as one could imagine. Lots of glare, nothing clear.

But the evidence is there. A truck full of Model S's (note the wheels, dead giveaways).....

open-tesla-truck.jpg

Thought some folks might find this interesting.

2. imherkimer

imherkimer Member

Maybe it was a tradeoff for time and this was the only truck available, with a number of anxious, impatient owners-to be at the end of the line.
    Sorry they had to be outside, but its great to see those pretty Model S's heading for delivery!

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

There have been pictures like this that go back almost a year. Who knows? Any port in a storm?

4. Colasec

Colasec Member

I'm actually very impressed with the pics - taking phone pics while driving is a challenging task! Nice job. :)

5. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

About 7 months ago I saw a similar scene: the truck was going to the Maricopa, AZ staging area with a lot of Model Ss loaded up. They all were clad in the white car cover that they were using at the time.

6. NuclearPowered

Saw an open trailer like this on July 4th weekend on 10 east from LA to PHX.

7. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

What day was this? My car has been on it's way to NC this week and I-40 goes straight to Raleigh (and my MS is Pearl White). I wonder if I'm looking at a pic of my car. :)

8. HHHH

HHHH Member

Yea, I was wondering the same, I saw a black MS with grey 21's, I was like, "HEY!" then I realized the chances are low that it was mine, and even if it was, I couldn't do a damned thing.

9. Cadester

Cadester Member

pgiralt, I'm picking up in Raleigh hopefully next week too. Have you been given a date? My DS emailed yesterday that it was built and ready to ship. Mytesla shows late July.

10. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Cadester, the answer is kinda complicated :) I was originally scheduled for tomorrow, 7/26 because I'm going on a trip on 7/27, so they were going to try to get me the car before I left. Earlier this week they said it would be pretty tight and might not make it, so they rescheduled my date for the day I get back from my trip, however I spoke to the Raleigh SC and they will call me if it shows up tomorrow or Saturday morning before I leave. I will be calling my DS in the morning to see where the truck is. He's been good about calling the truck driver to find out where they are whenever I call. All my paperwork shows my delivery date as tomorrow even though it's likely not going to happen.

11. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

We saw an open truck like this on Highway 99 heading south in Bakersfield on July 2. I thought it kind of odd that it was on 99. They must have had a delivery somewhere in the central valley and were heading for L.A. with the rest of the load.

12. Cadester

Cadester Member

Pgiralt, ah, that is a bit complicated. ;-). Good luck. I'll call my DS tomorrow to see if he can "track the truck" for me as well. It sounds like there are two trucks headed to NC.

13. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

My understanding is that they ship to service centers uncovered, they are then prepped before delivery. If shipped after prep, they are sent covered.

14. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Similar to other's notes...I saw an open carrier with 9 Esses aboard heading toward the Rockville, MD service center...

15. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

scaesare, was that today? around what time? My DS told me this morning that my car was supposed to be on a carrier that was going to Philadelphia this morning then headed to Rockville before heading down to Raleigh. If it was in Rockville today, that means that it should most definitely be here tomorrow.

16. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Actually that was about 3 months ago. Sorry, I know the wait can be hard. :(

17. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

:-( oh well. Thx

18. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

Yeah, try being a Signature owner, that added at least a year to the wait time, depending upon when you ponied up 5K vs 40K.

Regardless of the initial queue time, when it gets down to the last few weeks / days, we're all the same nail-biting, driveway-watching, phone-holding nervous new owners camp!

19. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

I know for a fact that mine was shipped uncovered all the way across the country. Had a rock chip on the left rear quarter panel. Tesla was happy to pay for the repair, of course, and I finally had it done last week (3 months after getting the car).

20. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Well, you're going to drive the car on the open road, too, so...