Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Much For Model S's Transported In Only Closed Trucks...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I've been reading in the forums here lately is that Tesla is insisting on carriers delivering its new cars in closed trucks to protect the exterior of the vehicles during transport. Am I right about that?

Assuming so, imagine my surprise the other day when I happened on this open truck on I-40 east of Flagstaff in Arizona.

Now, the truck was careening along at more than 75mph in the blazing Arizona sun, and I was hurtling alongside it in a wimpy Camry trying to a) catch up and b) steer with one hand and c) take pictures through bug-encrusted car windows with my iPhone all at the same time (for the good of and education of the greater Tesla community, you understand). Photos came out about as bad as one could imagine. Lots of glare, nothing clear.

But the evidence is there. A truck full of Model S's (note the wheels, dead giveaways).....

open-tesla-truck.jpg

Thought some folks might find this interesting.

Maybe it was a tradeoff for time and this was the only truck available, with a number of anxious, impatient owners-to be at the end of the line.
Sorry they had to be outside, but its great to see those pretty Model S's heading for delivery!

Now, the truck was careening along at more than 75mph in the blazing Arizona sun, and I was hurtling alongside it in a wimpy Camry trying to a) catch up and b) steer with one hand and c) take pictures through bug-encrusted car windows with my iPhone all at the same time (for the good of and education of the greater Tesla community, you understand). Photos came out about as bad as one could imagine. Lots of glare, nothing clear.

I'm actually very impressed with the pics - taking phone pics while driving is a challenging task! Nice job. :)

Cadester, the answer is kinda complicated :) I was originally scheduled for tomorrow, 7/26 because I'm going on a trip on 7/27, so they were going to try to get me the car before I left. Earlier this week they said it would be pretty tight and might not make it, so they rescheduled my date for the day I get back from my trip, however I spoke to the Raleigh SC and they will call me if it shows up tomorrow or Saturday morning before I leave. I will be calling my DS in the morning to see where the truck is. He's been good about calling the truck driver to find out where they are whenever I call. All my paperwork shows my delivery date as tomorrow even though it's likely not going to happen.

We saw an open truck like this on Highway 99 heading south in Bakersfield on July 2. I thought it kind of odd that it was on 99. They must have had a delivery somewhere in the central valley and were heading for L.A. with the rest of the load.

scaesare, was that today? around what time? My DS told me this morning that my car was supposed to be on a carrier that was going to Philadelphia this morning then headed to Rockville before heading down to Raleigh. If it was in Rockville today, that means that it should most definitely be here tomorrow.

scaesare, was that today? around what time? My DS told me this morning that my car was supposed to be on a carrier that was going to Philadelphia this morning then headed to Rockville before heading down to Raleigh. If it was in Rockville today, that means that it should most definitely be here tomorrow.

Actually that was about 3 months ago. Sorry, I know the wait can be hard. :(

Actually that was about 3 months ago. Sorry, I know the wait can be hard. :(
Yeah, try being a Signature owner, that added at least a year to the wait time, depending upon when you ponied up 5K vs 40K.

Regardless of the initial queue time, when it gets down to the last few weeks / days, we're all the same nail-biting, driveway-watching, phone-holding nervous new owners camp!

I know for a fact that mine was shipped uncovered all the way across the country. Had a rock chip on the left rear quarter panel. Tesla was happy to pay for the repair, of course, and I finally had it done last week (3 months after getting the car).