Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So much rattling....sigh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yet another reason to wait for the much-needed redesign and an improved manufacturing line that has yet to compete with the quality put out by the same factory under Toyota. Tesla and Musk have shown almost zero desire to improve the build quality of the Model S.

I wouldn't agree with that.

Building cars is hard. We want them to be magicked into existence in some perfect state, but there's a huge amount of work to make everything work silky-smooth and not bother you over years of service. As new problems crop up, the manufacturer has to tamp them down, one at a time. The only thing that would be concerning is if that trend line reversed.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yet another reason to wait for the much-needed redesign and an improved manufacturing line that has yet to compete with the quality put out by the same factory under Toyota. Tesla and Musk have shown almost zero desire to improve the build quality of the Model S.

That's more than a bit disingenuous... There are plenty of manufacturing improvements that have occurred from the first Model S's off of the line to today... Does that mean Tesla is perfect? Absolutely not, not even close... But still...

Jeff

That's more than a bit disingenuous... There are plenty of manufacturing improvements that have occurred from the first Model S's off of the line to today... Does that mean Tesla is perfect? Absolutely not, not even close... But still...

Jeff
Just calling it as I see it and without my blinders on. We continue to hear about quality problems such as panel gaps and chrome alignment issues, rattles and squeaks, improperly installed rubber seals, and one owner received a car with a big hole in his A-pillar. The latter doesn't get through unless there's a major breakdown in QC from the factory all the way to delivery.

What are these improvements you speak of relating specifically to initial quality? I'd love to see your list.

Last edited:
Just calling it as I see it and without my blinders on. We continue to hear about quality problems such as panel gaps and chrome alignment issues, rattles and squeaks, improperly installed rubber seals, and one owner received a car with a big hole in his A-pillar. The latter doesn't get through unless there's a major breakdown in QC from the factory all the way to delivery.

What are these improvements you speak of relating specifically to initial quality? I'd love to see your list.
Nobody is debating that there are many issues with many cars. What people are saying is that it's not a only Tesla thing. I have had 8 cars in the last 17 years, all most from different manufacturers, most of them new, and the only one that was close to perfect was the '08 Prius and it was a salvage car I repaired myself. The Dodge Neon that we bought new, years and years ago was a close second and the Tesla is currently 3rd. Everything else ranged from minor annoyances (Nissan Leaf) to garbage you would not want to own 5 second out of warranty (Chrysler Sebring Convertiable).

My 12/16 Model S has some rattles - mainly seems to come from the dashboard. If I hit the dashboard with my hand if feels very rattly and not solid at all. Bringing my car in for maintenance tomorrow so I'll ask them to have a look at it. Also the rear cupholder rattles.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Rattles are partly a state of mind. My wife jumped when I whacked the interior next to my head. "What was that? You hitting at a fly?" "No. It was rattling. It stopped." I think it was wires running along behind the headliner strip above the window. She never hears them.
It's not the wires. There are styrofoam blocks glued to the back of the headliner and they can make contact with the metal part of the roof making a little rattling sound. A small piece of felt between the foam and the roof usually does the trick.

I had a rattle on my 2016 S that that turned out to come from inside the steering rack. I think that ZF makes it. Tesla replaced it and now there are no more rattles.
My 2012 had a few rattles from rear seat, doors, dash and sunroof. All fixed under warranty

Rattles are partly a state of mind. My wife jumped when I whacked the interior next to my head. "What was that? You hitting at a fly?" "No. It was rattling. It stopped." I think it was wires running along behind the headliner strip above the window. She never hears them.

Reminds me of my ex and I. He kept hearing a periodic hiss on my Gen1 Insight that was driving him crazy, which I hadn't noticed, and kept trying to point it out to me. It was like fingernails on a chalkboard to him, but I just couldn't hear it. Eventually I finally caught on to what he was describing. "Oh.... huh... yeah, I guess the car does that? Probably been doing it for years." It was something to do with a broken air conditioner system (I never use AC here because it never gets hot enough).

My S90D built in Jan 2017 had a creak in the driver door when opening and required a certain outside cooler temp. Ranger service was able to repair.

I agree Tesla should not rattle and Tesla should improve. Especially for the price. But to put this into perspective, my last two non-Tesla vehicles (GM and Ford) had rattles and a friend of mine has rattles in their newer Ford. But I just let those rattles go because the car itself was louder.

Also, to compare what Toyota did in the same building vs Tesla seems odd. The product isn't the same and neither is the manufacturing line. That said, Tesla can learn from Toyota's accomplishments. And vice versa.

Ha-ha, very true. My wife never heard any of the rattles and tells our friends that I kept bringing our old S in because I "enjoyed chatting with the guys at the service center"

Last edited:

It's not a matter of calling it like you see it or not having your blinders on, it's realizing that humans only report about complaints and rarely report about being happy. Happy is the standard. As such, you're reaching substantially in order to draw the conclusion you're oh so confident in...

We all know Tesla QC is questionable at best and fluctuates towards the negative around quarter end. That being said, I don't think it's having blinders to say that perfectly built cars come off the same assembly line as well...

I don't have a list, I don't build the cars so how could I give you a list of manufacturing improvements? What I do know is I've ridden in an early Model S and own a 2015 Model S and my 2015 was quite a bit quieter and smoother than the early 2013 I rode in... Is that subjective? Absolutely but I think it's representative of at least some of the improvements Tesla has made.

Jeff

Speaking of Honda, my new Acura TL dashboard rattled like crazy the day I brought it home from the dealer and that was a $40k car back in 2006.

My TL 8 years old didn't rattle as much as my 2 year old Tesla does. First hand experience, so I have to say I disagree. Plus that was a $36K car. This is a $100K car.

I have a bipolar relationship with my Tesla.
When on a smooth freeway, autopiloting, listening to music, I'd rather not be driving anything else.
But then I hear a creak or a rattle, and the right door handle is beginning to act funny, and the service center won't replace it until it totally breaks down, ................... 1 year 8 more months to my 4 year goal! If Tesla doesn't get their sh~!t together I'm out.

Reactions: sorka
Speaking of Honda, my new Acura TL dashboard rattled like crazy the day I brought it home from the dealer and that was a $40k car back in 2006.

My TL 8 years old didn't rattle as much as my 2 year old Tesla does. First hand experience, so I have to say I disagree. Plus that was a $36K car. This is a $100K car.

I paid a bit more than 17k for my Civic in 2010. The headliner rattles above the driver's seat, although I can temporarily get it to stop by pushing up on it. The area behind the rear seat headrests also rattles, but only when there has been an exterior environmrnt temperature change from hot to cold.

Eliminating squeaks and rattles is an art that takes time. Some automakers never master it. Some, like Honda, don't seem to make it a high priority. There's a reason the Acura TSX was nicknamed the Torque Starved RattleboX.

I would think that Tesla could be in a better position to deal with squeaks and rattles since they are more vertically integrated than other car companies. However, they still rely on many suppliers. Getting the component tolerances correct, accounting for temperature variations, and making sure suppliers maintain quality requires a lot of vigilance.

I have the rattles 2017 build S90D. I'm trying to debug myself. Seems to be coming from rear right trunk liner area or possible rear right door.

I'm afraid of opening it up or for that matter having the service center open it up due to broken clips and further damage caused.

I've had had a number of squeaks and rattles. Most were between panels in the door. I stuck a business card in joints until I isolated one then I'd stick a piece of black cotton cloth in there and repeat. Also, seat belt anchors are poorly designed and rattle up against seat frames. I used cotton if possible otherwise the soft half of Velcro tape
It's worth taking to the SC.
I've had two rattles develop, both were fixed in an hour or so at the SC.

I took apart the trunk lining on my car and still have not found a conclusive rattle. I think it may be some metal to metal contact on the right side bumper pillar.
Could you please describe the rattle a bit more? My Sc har changed a lot of expensive parts om my late dec S with air susp, but still not fixed. The sound I hear is a muffeled, asynchronized sound, only able to hear it on poor road surfaces in speeds below 40 km/h.
The pre facelift loaner on steel springs do not have it. My neighbours pre facelift on air springs do not. An early refresh on air had it.
Ideas? SC is struggling, but really trying hard.