Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So much rattling....sigh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car less than 6 months old, there is SO much rattling going on even on regular roads.

Majority of it seems to be from the door panel assembly, door handles and near the seat belt holders. Anyone else having a lot of rattling noises in such a short period? Did any of you take it to the service center for this and get it resolved?

I am seriously considering a fatmat layer inside the door panels, has anyone here done that with success and have positive experience with the same?

I have the rattles 2017 build S90D. I'm trying to debug myself. Seems to be coming from rear right trunk liner area or possible rear right door.

I'm afraid of opening it up or for that matter having the service center open it up due to broken clips and further damage caused.

My late 2017 S90D build has rattles in the center console (maybe) or rear cup holders. Service had done 1x ranger visit and 2x service center visits, can't find the source (but acknowledges hearing the rattles on test drives). Replaced center console once, no improvement. WTF?

My 75D was also made in 11/16 and has been relatively rattle and squeak free. I have some on certain road surfaces, but not too annoying. I assume it will probably get worse with age and miles (only 5k so far). I do get some door rattle with the radio loud on certain songs, but not driving me crazy and I'm pretty picky. Hope the SC can sort yours out.

Yet another reason to wait for the much-needed redesign and an improved manufacturing line that has yet to compete with the quality put out by the same factory under Toyota. Tesla and Musk have shown almost zero desire to improve the build quality of the Model S.
My BMW that I had before my Tesla rattled from day one. The dealer could not fix it and washed their hands of the problem after the third try.

My late 2017 S90D build has rattles in the center console (maybe) or rear cup holders. Service had done 1x ranger visit and 2x service center visits, can't find the source (but acknowledges hearing the rattles on test drives). Replaced center console once, no improvement. WTF?

Same here on my late June 17 100D. Coming from rear cup holders. I leave them extended and the rattles are virtually gone.

I've had had a number of squeaks and rattles. Most were between panels in the door. I stuck a business card in joints until I isolated one then I'd stick a piece of black cotton cloth in there and repeat. Also, seat belt anchors are poorly designed and rattle up against seat frames. I used cotton if possible otherwise the soft half of Velcro tape

I have a MS 90D built October 2016. I live 4 miles onto a dirt road which is not always in the best condition, but decent for a dirt county road. Within 2 weeks of ownership, I had a rattle from the rear passenger door. I pushed on all the panels and felt a distinct click of a panel not fully seated. Rattle gone. My rear cup holder rattles, but only when extended. Two weeks ago, a rattle developed from the front passenger seat. I could reproduce by rocking the seat back and forth. Tightened one of the anchor bolts bolting it to the chassis, rattle gone. I have had other rattles come and then disappear a few days later. I knew the MS was prone to rattles prior to purchase, so I have tried to keep from getting too excited. I would have no problem taking the car into the service station, but it's 5 hours away. So far I have been able to solve most issues.

Yet another reason to wait for the much-needed redesign and an improved manufacturing line that has yet to compete with the quality put out by the same factory under Toyota. Tesla and Musk have shown almost zero desire to improve the build quality of the Model S.

The Model S P90D I test drove didn't have any rattles despite being driven over a variety of surfaces.

This is probably an issue with consistent tolerances in components rather than an issue with the design or assembly line.

But generally I agree that an 80-100k Tesla should not rattle like a Honda (of which I have owned several).

Somewhere I read that people have used silicone grease or endust between squeaky panels too. That seatbelt anchor rattle was the worst though! It was about to the point where I was going to fix it with an axe if that's what it took to find it.

The Model S P90D I test drove didn't have any rattles despite being driven over a variety of surfaces.

This is probably an issue with consistent tolerances in components rather than an issue with the design or assembly line.

But generally I agree that an 80-100k Tesla should not rattle like a Honda (of which I have owned several).

Speaking of Honda, my new Acura TL dashboard rattled like crazy the day I brought it home from the dealer and that was a $40k car back in 2006.