Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So... what base + options combo are you going to order eventually?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1

I think these are essential, for me anyway:

• Xenon headlamps
  • Backup camera
  • Homelink

I really appreciate the following, but could live without:

• Automatic keyless entry
  • Electrochromatic side mirrors
  • 16 GB hard drive
  • Turn-by-turn navigation (optional only because I have a Garmin)

These ones I wouldn't go out of my way to buy:
  • LED fog lights
  • Two rear USB ports
  • Power rear liftgate

That said, the power rear liftgate would solve a perpetual problem for me. In winter when it's really, really cold, the pneumatic strut things they use on lift gates always droop. Every year I seem to forget this somehow, and get a reminder in the form of a good BONK on the head. :cursing:
It's really interesting, my list would be much different. Auto keyless entry, rear USB (my kids all have iPods), power lift gate being most important. I don't really care about the headlights so long as they're bright enough. I've never had the backup camera and I hear that those who have it, love it, but I am yet to figure out how to use it when you're supposed to be looking behind you at the same time you use the camera! The NAV is potentially important, but usually that's for longer trips and unfamiliar cities--which I probably won't take the Model S to too often.

Shhhh, my wife might hear you. She gets to choose; don't you know the expression "happy wife, happy life" ?
Trust me, I do. That's why I'm getting the no extra charge Black! With the no extra charge Black interior! Considering I told her the car would be $50k when I ordered it 3 years ago, then that I'd want the 230 mile battery ~2 years ago taking the price to $60k, then finally deciding I really should go for the 300 mile pack for $70k, and now with the upgrades I'm approaching $80k....yea, that's got me in hot water big time. My Prius cost less than $30--the same as the "upgrades" for the Model S!. Still planning on working in a few extra things if I can...hopefully if we can save a few $$ before actual order time I'll get away with it a bit more easily.

I've never had the backup camera and I hear that those who have it, love it, but I am yet to figure out how to use it when you're supposed to be looking behind you at the same time you use the camera!

You look behind you primarily using the backup camera. It has far better visibility than the mirrors or turning your head. I do glance to either side, of course, while I'm backing up.

Shhhh, my wife might hear you. She gets to choose; don't you know the expression "happy wife, happy life" ?

Hi Nigel,

In my opinion she's done an excellent job on selecting the color of your Roadster. If that color was available we would select it for my Model S. Has she seen the Signature Red up close and personal? If so, is that her choice? Mary Ellen was impressed with that custom paint job on the beta that visited the Sarasota Yacht Club, but she doesn't think its worth the $4,300 premium over a loaded standard model.

Larry

You look behind you primarily using the backup camera. It has far better visibility than the mirrors or turning your head. I do glance to either side, of course, while I'm backing up.

Hi Doug,

I'm wondering whether the camera will come in handy for those who plan to back into the garage to get better access to the rear-mounted charging port?

Larry

It would have been great fun for Tesla to have put out an options list that showed black as the only paint option. Unfortunately, the humorous parallel to Ford's Model T would have been lost.

Hi Robert,

Good point, but they essentially did the same thing for the standard microfibre interior. You can get it in any color you want so long as its black. :frown:

Larry

So I am going for (until I get to drive one):
85 kWh
Blue paint
Rear child seats (this is what finally got me to put in a deposit)
Tech package
Leather seats
Current total : $77,400
I am not yet sold on the active suspension or the sound package. Time (and stock price) will tell on those options.
I am leaning towards the pano roof, but right now not 100% sure. I have had sunroofs before and 90% of the time have kept them closed (I have dutch and icelandic genes, so I burn rather easily).

I'll get this or cancel (assuming I can afford it):
85 kWh battery
Kids seats
Sun roof (heck, I'm in CA)
Metallic paint (blue or brown)
Twin chargers

Considering:
Tech package
Sound upgrade

If I win the lottery:
Sport package

I'll get this or cancel (assuming I can afford it):
85 kWh battery
Kids seats
Sun roof (heck, I'm in CA)
Metallic paint (blue or brown)
Twin chargers

Considering:
Tech package
Sound upgrade

If I win the lottery:
Sport package
I think the tech package should have been included in the base price of the car but think most people would enjoy the car more with the tech package.

Last edited:
Without the tech package you still have google maps right?
With a 17 inch map screen I don't need turn by turn navigation.
They said they are going to allow 3rd party apps... so what stops you from using a standard google product for navigation?
Is the car missing GPS without it?