Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So... what base + options combo are you going to order eventually?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plus you can pick up a Tom-Tom for less than $100. After all, how often do we need turn-by-turn?
Personally, Google Maps will be a better navigator than turn-by-turn in 99% of the situations. My Garmin Nuvi is occasionally more helpful by anticipating exactly what lane I'll need to be in, but overall it's less capable than Google Maps in route planning, etc.

Personally, Google Maps will be a better navigator than turn-by-turn in 99% of the situations. My Garmin Nuvi is occasionally more helpful by anticipating exactly what lane I'll need to be in, but overall it's less capable than Google Maps in route planning, etc.

True. But, relying on Google Maps would leave one at the mercy and vagaries of the 3G connection - okay in metro areas with good cell coverage but, not otherwise. I've had occasions where my ex-Acura's dedicated GPS helped me in a spot where my iPhone's 3G connection went limp.

I grudgingly signed up for the tech package for 3 things mainly:

- Offline GPS
- Xenon headlamps ("yellow lights" in a 50K+ car?! seriously?!)
- Automatic keyless entry (gotta show off that one!)

True. But, relying on Google Maps would leave one at the mercy and vagaries of the 3G connection - okay in metro areas with good cell coverage but, not otherwise. I've had occasions where my ex-Acura's dedicated GPS helped me in a spot where my iPhone's 3G connection went limp.

Think I read somewhere that the system would cache 300 miles worth of distance in its system to avoid this. (Anyone?)

Also, judging by the screenshots, the turn-by-turn navigation is still using google maps.

I can't back up either of these, but if memory/impressions serve...

Signature red, banana leaf, tan leather, pano roof, 21s, no child seats. Of course, I need to see the interior options live before I finally decide. I did ask the rep in Park Meadows if I could get a sport without the interior carbon fiber trim. He is looking into it, but I doubt it is possible.

I have no cell phone (AWESOME) and a lexus ls430 - 2002 gps/ maps work good and i expect the same. period
and equal(really much better) comfort and silence! I want no 3g / 4g or anything else just a standard gps that works without any shcrapit, being offline should make no difference

there is no cell phone coverage in most areas that I am in and the lexus GPS works awesome still
that's all that I want

Personally, Google Maps will be a better navigator than turn-by-turn in 99% of the situations.

Hi Robert,

I'm not sure that I follow. How can you know that Google Maps will be a better navigator than Tesla's turn-by-turn navigation without first having tried the navigation system?

I recently purchased a smart phone for my wife and we have used Google Maps a bit. It is very helpful, but it constantly loses the GPS signal.

Larry

Last edited:
Do you have the phone up on the dash? Remember, it needs line of sight to the satellites.

Hi Mycroft,

Sometimes the phone is on the center console other times it is in the lap of the front passenger. I guess we should look into purchasing a gizmo that attaches the phone to the windshield?

Now that you've gotten me straightened out perhaps you need to clue in Tesla that it shouldn't take purchasing a $1,500 panoramic roof to enable satellite radio. All they have to do is position the satellite antenna on the dashboard. :biggrin:

Thanks.

Larry

I highly recommend the Exomount Universal Car Mount for that purpose. That thing sticks to anything!

As for the pano roof requirement for Sat radio, you totally got me. Pretty weird.

Actually, upon thinking about it, I think Tesla didn't want the shark fin antenna for aesthetic reasons, and they felt that a dash or windshield antenna was too ineffective for a good satellite radio signal.

Hi Mycroft,

Thanks for the recommendation. I placed an order.

This panoramic roof requirement to enable satellite radio could become a serious embarrassment if auto journalists pick up on it. I've got to believe that the Tesla folks, both engineers and marketing, are too smart to let this stand as it is.

So here's another question for you. What happens when the sunshade is closed? Do you lose satellite reception?

Regardles, my prediction is this will be remedied rather quickly.

Larry

Last edited:
'Sometimes the phone is on the center console other times it is in the lap of the front passenger. '

I always see dumbasses with their phone in hand, speaking on speaker phone or something. if this is YOU i want to run you off the road, FYI. PLEASE don't do this!!!!!

I have Bluetooth in all my vehicles, but I'd rather someone who didn't kept their hands on or around the wheel if they have to make a call. If that means being on speaker, so be it.

'Sometimes the phone is on the center console other times it is in the lap of the front passenger. '

I always see dumbasses with their phone in hand, speaking on speaker phone or something. if this is YOU i want to run you off the road, FYI. PLEASE don't do this!!!!!

Hi Z,

Why don't tell me how you really feel. :wink:

I thought I was clear in my posting. If not I apologize. I was describing how my wife and I use her smartpnone as a GPS. So far when we used it there were the two of us traveling and the passenger manages the phone. If there was just the driver the phone would be setup while parked and then the driver would receive turn-by-turn voice instructions from the phone.

Neither of us have phone conversations while driving.

Larry

My advice, if there's any hesitation at all on an option, just get it. I know that sounds simplistic, but if you regret not getting the tech package down the road (and there's a decent chance you will) then it'll be virtually impossible to add later. … I suppose you could consider going with the standard white and use the savings toward the tech package.

The things on the tech package are the items that make a difference EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE. Save the $3000 on a pano roof and pearl white and get the tech package--in the end your head won't get as hot and you'll enjoy the experience and convenience more (clearly my opinion, but it's well grounded).

Thanks for the feedback. It would be great to see the various paints on a finished S, before choosing a color. I may bite the bullet and get the Tech Package in addition to the pano roof & custom paint. The backup camera is great when parallel parking, particularly in tight spots. Kids just got iPods so the rear USB ports may be useful. IMO, the tech package options could have been subdivided into smaller components.