Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So... what base + options combo are you going to order eventually?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, I doubt I'll be in a position to test with and without the panoramic roof before having to lock in a decision.
You'll almost certainly be able to test drive the car before you lock things in. I believe they're saying you have to lock things in 3 months before your production date. Since Florida has a store, they should be getting a car a some point next year for demo purposes and test drives.

However, I doubt I'll be in a position to test with and without the panoramic roof before having to lock in a decision.

Larry

You'll almost certainly be able to test drive the car before you lock things in. I believe they're saying you have to lock things in 3 months before your production date. Since Florida has a store, they should be getting a car a some point next year for demo purposes and test drives.

Yes, I expect to get a test drive before locking things in. I just don't think that the Florida store will have more than one car, with and without the panoramic roof to do a real comparison.

Larry

I'm more concerned about the passenger cabin becoming a highly reverberant space due to being encased in glass all around. Robert's remark got me thinking. "Further, on the interior, the glass reflects sound instead of absorbing it in the headliner."

In Germany my wife had a Mercedes B-Class with pano-roof and we never had any sound issues.

Nevertheless, the panoramic roof is a very cool feature that is very attractively priced so I am really torn on whether to get it. Getting a test drive is going to be very helpful to resolve this issue. However, I doubt I'll be in a position to test with and without the panoramic roof before having to lock in a decision.

Your helpful neighbor here wants a pano-roof and has SSL#183, there may be 3 months between my delivery and yours so if you're lucky you may get to take a ride before you have to fix your option list. :wink:

Yes, I expect to get a test drive before locking things in. I just don't think that the Florida store will have more than one car, with and without the panoramic roof to do a real comparison.

Larry
Ah, missed that part of your post. They'll probably only have the panoramic version in order to try and sell it. I guess if you're happy with the noise in that version, you could only be happier in the model without it. I think I'm leaning towards the standard roof at this point.

I'm going for the Performance in Black, not sure on the interior, but will wait for the choices to become finalized. Banana leaf or CF trim.
Panoramic sunroof
21" wheels
Tech package
Twin chargers
HPC
Sound upgrade
Parcel shelf

I was considering a 2014 M5, but I believe that this is an equally exciting alternative with greater upside.
$94,050

minus tax credits, including a potential $2500 CA tax credit, final balance should be around $79,050

I know that the CA tax credit is tenuous, but if there is a chance it can be extended (hopefully Gov. Brown stands by his promise to support the advancement of electric vehicles in CA) I may as well figure it in.

I'm going for the Performance in Black, not sure on the interior, but will wait for the choices to become finalized. Banana leaf or CF trim.
Panoramic sunroof
21" wheels
Tech package
Twin chargers
HPC
Sound upgrade
Parcel shelf

I was considering a 2014 M5, but I believe that this is an equally exciting alternative with greater upside.
$94,050

minus tax credits, including a potential $2500 CA tax credit, final balance should be around $79,050

I know that the CA tax credit is tenuous, but if there is a chance it can be extended (hopefully Gov. Brown stands by his promise to support the advancement of electric vehicles in CA) I may as well figure it in.

Not to rain on your parade, but your numbers don't add up. The total with those options is indeed $94,050, but that already includes the $7500 federal tax credit. All base prices listed on Tesla's website already deduct the $7500 tax credit. And California sales tax is at least 7.25% (with most highly populated areas like LA and the Bay Area at 8.75%). So that's around $8000 in sales tax, or an additional $5500 if you get the $2500 CA tax credit. And lets not forget delivery fees of $1000 - $2000. So you're really looking at a final balance of a bit more than $100,000, not the $79,050 you mentioned. But even still, you were somehow expecting $15,000 in tax credits. How so? Even if you didn't realize that the federal tax credit was already factored into the price, that still only accounts for $10,000 in federal and state tax credit.

Not to rain on your parade, but your numbers don't add up. The total with those options is indeed $94,050, but that already includes the $7500 federal tax credit. All base prices listed on Tesla's website already deduct the $7500 tax credit. And California sales tax is at least 7.25% (with most highly populated areas like LA and the Bay Area at 8.75%). So that's around $8000 in sales tax, or an additional $5500 if you get the $2500 CA tax credit. And lets not forget delivery fees of $1000 - $2000. So you're really looking at a final balance of a bit more than $100,000, not the $79,050 you mentioned. But even still, you were somehow expecting $15,000 in tax credits. How so? Even if you didn't realize that the federal tax credit was already factored into the price, that still only accounts for $10,000 in federal and state tax credit.

$5000 has already been paid to Tesla to secure the reservation. I did not factor in the delivery fees. That has not been set in stone, given the significant manufacturing changes of building in Fremont with mostly self-sourced components. Who knows what that will be. Sales tax is 8.75%, but is a given, so I don't add that figure...neither did anyone else, for that matter. So, it would be more like $86,550, adding in the $7500 (twice-deducted) federal tax credit.

$5000 has already been paid to Tesla to secure the reservation. I did not factor in the delivery fees. That has not been set in stone, given the significant manufacturing changes of building in Fremont with mostly self-sourced components. Who knows what that will be. Sales tax is 8.75%, but is a given, so I don't add that figure...neither did anyone else, for that matter. So, it would be more like $86,550, adding in the $7500 (twice-deducted) federal tax credit.

Good point on the $5000 already spent. Though, sales tax is something that can't be ignored. Some people that live in say Oregon or Delaware never have to worry about that. And some states such as NJ waive sales tax on EV purchases.

Good point on the $5000 already spent. Though, sales tax is something that can't be ignored. Some people that live in say Oregon or Delaware never have to worry about that. And some states such as NJ waive sales tax on EV purchases.

I think it is great that NJ is on the ball with the sales tax waiver. I only wish California, with all of its progressiveness, would jump on that bandwagon too and stimulate the industry. I'm sure that the tax hit would be relatively negligible in the short term.

I digress...

I would have to admit that without the performance option, it would be harder to replace an M5 with an EV (the roadster is too small to compare), but with all the promise that this car holds, it now becomes a very tempting option. Far cheaper too, given that with options, the M5 will likely top $110K (pre-tax).

Since I was living in Europe when the Model S was released, I am stuck with the non Signature Model S. That means no red for my color options... So, Ill do white on black with banana leaf accent. Maybeeee, carbon fiber accent. Will have to see the car first.

It's amazing how since the S was first announced it was $50,000 after fed rebate (advertised 300 mile range - ok, "up to" 300 miles ;) , cool fan wheels, pano roof, etc. etc.). Of course, I should have known that the one I'd want would be MUCH more (230 range, pano, 21" wheels, tech package). Guess the excitement from the sheer concept got my brain all fuzzy. :) Needless to say, that's my Tesla.

As I've posted a few times, here's the latest info on what Sig gets you:
1) First in line.
2) Option to get the exclusive Red paint.
3) Option to get the exclusive White leather.
4) Leather is of better quality, and there's more of it.
5) Signature badging.

I thought I'd remind people of the information I got direct from Tesla regarding #4.

In the Standard, even with leather seats, several areas will be polyester microfiber (on the doors, parts of the dashboard, etc.) In the Signature, there will be *no* microfiber. For all the sections which would be microfiber in the Standard, in the Signature will *either* be leather, *or* a cotton-based fake leather (which will be used in high-dirt areas like the bottom of the insides of the doors) Since I'm allergic to polyester, this made the difference for me. Probably nobody else cares, but that's the crucial interior difference between the Sig and the Standard.

I want a Performance model...19 inch wheels.
Same here, but the lack of credit for downgrading to the 19" is blocker both financially and on principle.

Some time ago I emailed Tesla and politely suggested that since the 19" wheels were an allowed option, it'd be appropriate for Tesla to credit the normal $3500 upgrade value for the 21" rims (or $2000 if you got aero rims). Since bolting on 19" vs 21" is a trivial item and already allowed, this isn't a new manufacturing line issue. It's purely a pricing consideration and thus an opportunity for Tesla show it values the customer by only charging for the option actually chosen.

Water Franck emailed back today (I think my email got lost in the post-pricing email flood) and said they've had similar requests and he'd add my feedback to his weekly report, but that he didn't think it would change. However, if folks like you also send email maybe they'll rethink this.

As I mentioned to Walter, this seems like a win/win situation. I'd only pay for the rims I actually received and Tesla would sell a more expensive car.

So, please send Tesla an email on it :). Us 19" rim guys need to stand together!

I have reserved a Signature and will probably downgrade to the 19 inch wheels - either that or get the 21s and try to sell/swap them to someone else who gets the 19s.
How many would go for 19 inch turbine wheels if they offered them?

I am still waiting to see the 19 inch aero wheels and would prefer to get them unless they are knife-in-the-eye-fugley.

I have reserved a Signature and will probably downgrade to the 19 inch wheels - either that or get the 21s and try to sell/swap them to someone else who gets the 19s.
How many would go for 19 inch turbine wheels if they offered them?

I am still waiting to see the 19 inch aero wheels and would prefer to get them unless they are knife-in-the-eye-fugley.
Yea, Signature folks won't get a credit regardless since Tesla already knows you're willing to pay a premium for the car. That's part of why the Sig wasn't the right choice for me personally.

Non-Sig folks though aren't locked in though, so Tesla potentially has something to gain here for folks who want 19" and are considering the Perf.