Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So what exactly do you get when you buy the FSD upgrade? (for AP2.0, EAP owners)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We now know that if you had EAP, you can upgrade to FSD for either 3K or 2K. This sounds like the classic "buying a pig in a poke". For example, I have AP 2.0--(1.) Will I get free hardware to enable FSD?--(2.) Will that give me the AP3.0?--or (3.)does the 3K FSD merely give me the option of paying additional $$ to retrofit my MX with additional hardware--for what price? Throwing all the hardware and software in for $2/3 K does not seem pass the straight face test. Can you imagine the installation backlog if they offered such a deal. Sure to upset CS who are already overloaded. I know EM has made statements indicating the "Free to existing EAP" owners, but that was before the new pricing structure. I, for one, would like to upgrade but I would like to have a definitive list of what the 2/3K will buy for an existing AP 2.0, EAP owner. I'm reminded of the adage, "If something sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't". Your thoughts about what you get for the FSD upgrade?

The EAP/Enhanced AutoPilot purchasers were in a hybrid state (dotted box) and had some newly-defined-FSD features so they are getting a deal at $2K. This is a good deal for one of my family members. Traffic light and stop sign recognition will be useful! NoA-City will be interesting to see how it works/benefits.

8zYtE6c.jpg

Elon Musk on Twitter
TXjAKPs.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Kuhz
The EAP/Enhanced AutoPilot purchasers were in a hybrid state (dotted box) and had some newly-defined-FSD features so they are getting a deal at $2K. This is a good deal for one of my family members. Traffic light and stop sign recognition will be useful! NoA-City will be interesting to see how it works/benefits.

8zYtE6c.jpg

Elon Musk on Twitter
TXjAKPs.jpg
Auto lane change is part of EAP. I wish people would stop thinking it is only part of FSD.

Attachments

• EAP statement.png
    EAP statement.png
    680.2 KB · Views: 424
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Seriously I doubt AP2.0 will ever be upgraded to AP3.0 hardware...that would require an extra camera and sensors.

We can't even get AP2.0 to AP2.5 even if we wanted to pay (e.g. dashcam features)

Rather FSD has been "downgraded" to run on AP2 hardware...

Seriously I doubt AP2.0 will ever be upgraded to AP3.0 hardware...that would require an extra camera and sensors.

We can't even get AP2.0 to AP2.5 even if we wanted to pay (e.g. dashcam features)

I'm more on your side of thinking. It's hard to see Tesla retrofitting so many S/X/3 2.0/2.5 to 3.0 hardware (and even what the entails for 2.0). Other than Elon's tweets, I haven't seen an official announcement from Tesla stating what FSD entails (hardware-wise) since I don't think they have the plan set in stone either. I wonder if we'll see a weaker software implementation of FSD on our older hardware that is just enough for them to claim they fulfilled their original promise when the car was sold new.

What do you mean extra camera and sensors? They both have exactly the same sensors and camera's as far as I know

I think all they'll do is swap the old 2.0 AP board for the new 3.0 AP board. This is only the AP computer, not the MCU, so no 5G or anything noticeable. However, I would think (hope) it would enable the dashcam/Sentry feature for AP2.0 cars.

The radars are different, and who knows if the old radar unit will support FSD. I would think so, since AP3 should be more reliant on vision than radar.

I think the cameras are different mainly in color capabilities. AP2.0 has limited colors, but I think should be able to tell red lights from green. While it would be annoying to have to program AP3 to accept either camera configuration, I don't think the difference would prevent AP2.0 cameras from functioning OK for FSD. There's also a chance I suppose of just swapping cameras out, if the wiring is adequate and Tesla feels it's necessary. FSD does not need the interior camera, though maybe it would be able to eliminate the hold-the-wheel nags for as long as that is required.

I've heard about extra cables, but haven't gone into the details. Unless the extra wiring is easy to add, I doubt we'll get that. So we may be missing some redundancy or radar/camera special feature.

So I expect to get a new AP computer board but probably not new cameras or radar.

But some of the guys who know way more than me are saying it's a tough upgrade, so I'll wait and see.

• Informative
Reactions: fbitz777
  • Love
Reactions: Macster