Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So...who's buying the "enhanced anti-theft" accessory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had mine installed today. For those of you wondering how it works... basically it monitors the cabin pressure when a window breaks and the inside cabin pressure changes the alarm gets triggered.

This explains why the alarm and climate control can’t operate at the same time.
This is not the case in reality. It works when the windows are open (Installation documentation advises to do what I do in the video as a test) and you can modify the climate control via the app without setting it off.
As demoed in this video I shot today

Tesla Enhanced Anti-theft Upgrade Demo

This was explained by the Tesla rep who installed it in my car.

So if it’s not correct then it’s misinformation that was given

I questioned why there is a lag between when he put his arm in the car and when the horn goes off. He explained that the fluctuation in cabin pressure when the window is down and when you put your arm in the change isn’t as great as if you were to break the window so the alarm should go off immediately vs a lag in his testing.

I questioned why there is a lag between when he put his arm in the car and when the horn goes off. He explained that the fluctuation in cabin pressure when the window is down and when you put your arm in the change isn’t as great as if you were to break the window so the alarm should go off immediately vs a lag in his testing.
I really don’t know what technology is being used. I know there was no installation instructions included with the part. They had to follow a set of steps to update the car to recognize the hardware using a connected laptop.

From my experience, it seems the delay has more to do with position. Alarm goes off once my arm/hand is not directly behind the front seat. So above or between the two seats. I’ll have to test and see what happens if I carefully unlatch and pull the backseat down.

I initially thought it was a motion sensor... I think I’ll try taping up the 2 holes and then try to set it off by doing what you did to see if the alarm goes off
I’m guessing that multiple technologies are in play. There must be a mercury switch or something like it to detect tilt. The thing I can’t understand is why it can tolerate Climate control in the mobile app but not overheat protection.

Got this comment speculating it is an ultrasonic transducer on my YouTube channel regarding the video I posted (post #83) just passing it on...
1D38BF89-8426-40D4-90CF-B60F6BD8C8C5.jpeg

This is not the case in reality. It works when the windows are open (Installation documentation advises to do what I do in the video as a test) and you can modify the climate control via the app without setting it off.
As demoed in this video I shot today

Tesla Enhanced Anti-theft Upgrade Demo
Thanks for the video, but it looks like your screen is plagued by the yellow bordering ;)

Thanks for the video, but it looks like your screen is plagued by the yellow bordering ;)
Yes,
:( I know. They actually noticed at the at the SC and told me not to get it replaced now because the replacement part will end up with the same issue.
Advised that the new part will be available in spring and that I should schedule rhe replacement after it comes in.

Yes,
:( I know. They actually noticed at the at the SC and told me not to get it replaced now because the replacement part will end up with the same issue.
Advised that the new part will be available in spring and that I should schedule rhe replacement after it comes in.
You made a wise choice. My first replacement they swapped out the entire MCU, so I lost my lifetime energy consumption stats. The second time they just swapped out the screen. But if it happens again, I'd probably just wait for a real fix too.

It is pretty annoying they disable cabin overheat protection. I'm not sure whether I'd pick the alarm or the overheat protection on summer Vegas trips.

You made a wise choice. My first replacement they swapped out the entire MCU, so I lost my lifetime energy consumption stats. The second time they just swapped out the screen. But if it happens again, I'd probably just wait for a real fix too.

It is pretty annoying they disable cabin overheat protection. I'm not sure whether I'd pick the alarm or the overheat protection on summer Vegas trips.

same here in AZ. Free SC and overheat protection is why I bought MS. Are there any other aftermarket products that detect motion/movement from break ins?

replacement MCU screens brighter or sharper like the M3

Last edited:

So,
As I mentioned in the video, Climate control is available via the mobile app. So you can still keep the car cool.

So,
As I mentioned in the video, Climate control is available via the mobile app. So you can still keep the car cool.

Try this... With your window opened and the system activated use your phone to enable the climate control. Then walk up to the car and see if your hand in the cabin will set it off.

If no alarm, then turning on climate has disabled the alarm. That would be a plus for the pressure based hypothesis.

Mine is ordered. The local ranger will get it shipped to him for installation.

Try this... With your window opened and the system activated use your phone to enable the climate control. Then walk up to the car and see if your hand in the cabin will set it off.

If no alarm, then turning on climate has disabled the alarm. That would be a plus for the pressure based hypothesis.

Mine is ordered. The local ranger will get it shipped to him for installation.

I actually did try this and the alarm did go off... which made me question if it's multiple technology going on... I didnt get a chance to tape up the sensors yet to see if it could possible be a motion sensor instead...

Cabin Overheat Protection has been advertised/announced by Tesla for occupant protection. Interior alarm by definition will go off if anyone is in the car hence occupant protection and interior alarm are kind of mutually exclusive...

I wouldn’t mind being able to enable them simultaneously just in case but I can see the usability point why they wouldn’t be recommended together.

You can not leave a dog in the car with interior alarm on for example. (Or you can, but...)