Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. Especially with the low expectations for Q3 as it was.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw on my feed that deliveries cut to 33,000 from 35,000. What effect will this have to TSLA?

That's the bear headline, but it's a very weak one as production is still at 35k guided, and there are plenty of bull headlines to overshadow that. I think flat trading is *gasp* a possibility.

Wait a second, what's this:

"Together with Panasonic we are making good progress toward first cell production in 2016, slightly earlier than originally scheduled. Starting operations earlier will reduce ramp-up risks for Model 3 and provide some potential expansion capacity for Model S and Model X."

Wow -- did that just accelerate Model 3 delivery? Because it sure looks like it.

"Together with Panasonic we are making good progress toward first cell production in 2016, slightly earlier than originally scheduled. Starting operations earlier will reduce ramp-up risks for Model 3 and provide some potential expansion capacity for Model S and Model X."

Wow -- did that just accelerate Model 3 delivery? Because it sure looks like it.

Good catch! I can't wait to hear them talk about that on the call :D This is going to be a fun CC.

To me the news of Gigafactory actually producing cells in 2016 is the most important part of the whole letter. When you take a step back and think about it. All the other stuff is just small variations on the already known facts.

To me the news of Gigafactory actually producing cells in 2016 is the most important part of the whole letter. When you take a step back and think about it. All the other stuff is just small variations on the already known facts.

Yes. But I think the letter is saying that those cells will go to Model S/X if the demand is there. I don't think it says that Model 3 is coming sooner.

The Roadster was late. The S was something close to 2 years late from when it was first announced. The X is going to be close to 2 years late (originally "late 2013").

Going out on a limb here....the 3 is going to be late regardless of what happens with the Gigafactory.

A quick look at Yahoo shows AH has a range from $217-249.......It will be interesting to see what happens after the CC. If Elon is confident/defiant (with regards to wanting a perfect product release vs a quick product release) then I see the stock holding green despite what I feel is a slight miss that would have caused other momos to drop.

It is not over but it looks like the TMC folk who chose a rise with ER vs a drop were correct. Congrats!

But now I cannot trust them on any timeline. Just last Q (well 30 days into a q), Elon was asked a few times, and he said 35K delivery is doable. Model X on track. I bet this GF note will be thrown away in a few quarters.

educated guess: The Model X being late probably has more to do with getting several "D"'s to customers, to get real world data on the AWD system, and take care of any glitches/issues that come up, they are really under pressure to avoid "early adopter" issues with the Model X...

educated guess: The Model X being late probably has more to do with getting several "D"'s to customers, to get real world data on the AWD system, and take care of any glitches/issues that come up, they are really under pressure to avoid "early adopter" iissues with the Model X...

This looks right to me --> "We recently decided to build in significantly more validation testing time to achieve the best Model X possible. This will also allow for a more rapid production ramp compared to the Model S in 2012."

I'll be content with accelerating volume Model S production --- along with watching the P85D beat everything at the track.

When the X hits, it's game over Porsche.

Im not surprised by GF production given that they are building GF in phases and there's a hiring ramp every year including 750 in 2015.

Together with Panasonic we are making good progress toward first cell production in 2016, slightly earlier than originally scheduled. Starting operations earlier will reduce ramp-up risks for Model 3 and provide some potential expansion capacity for Model S and Model X.

I thought the Gigafactory was producing cells that are physically larger (10% in height, 10% in diameter) than the 18650s used in the Model S / X. How would ramping the Gigafactory up earlier expand capacity for the Model S / X? Would they redesign the battery pack for the larger cell? Would there then be some Model S / X vehicles with the 18650 and some with the larger format battery?

I thought the Gigafactory was producing cells that are physically larger (10% in height, 10% in diameter) than the 18650s used in the Model S / X. How would ramping the Gigafactory up earlier expand capacity for the Model S / X? Would they redesign the battery pack for the larger cell? Would there then be some Model S / X vehicles with the 18650 and some with the larger format battery?

We don't know this. I bet they could very easily change the physical format of the cell in the production process. They will probably make 18650 cells for the S and X and then switch to larger format when the M3 goes in to production. At that point they may redesign the S/X battery pack or just keep making 18650 and larger side-by-side.

Did anyone see where the "Order" button went to get to the configurator?
Where did the order button go.JPG

Edit: It's back. They killed the "D" for the 60 and killed the P85.

Last edited: